Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #136
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Just a slightly off topic comment about dance. Please do not lump all dance into the same category. There are legitimate dance studios out there that have absolutely NOTHING to do with competitive dance. The competitive dance world (which my DD was part of for three years) is pretty disgusting. Many overtly sexual costumes and dances. It disturbed both DH and me, and we started looking around for a different type program. And, thankfully, we found one. Not only is she learning more about dance (real dance...not hoochie mama dance), but there is absolutely nothing age inappropriate about the costumes or moves. At her most recent performance, for example, her group did one piece from the Fiddler on the Roof (where they danced wearing longish skirts, full blouses, head scarves and aprons). It passed even the grandma test....grandma liked it! The girls in the group also loved it.

If your child wants to dance, search out a good program...in general, that means avoiding competitive dance. Why we have to take an art form and turn it into a "competition" is beyond me. The only people getting wealthy out of competition dance are those that sponsor this insanity.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #137
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

My mum has always said that pageant children are like mini prostitutes and their mothers are the pimps, pushing them further and further with each show. A bit extreme wording perhaps but not inaccurate.

I think pageants are trashy and would never put my daughter in one but they exist and lots of people do enter their children, they aren't going to disappear. I don't know anyone with a child in a pageant but if I did, although I would disagree with it, I wouldn't give them a hard time about it. Each to their own, I just feel that pageants teach children the wrong things in general and also attract the wrong kind of attention.

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #138
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedisney1982 View Post
So, I had a heart to heart with my daughter. She says she likes pageants, but doesn't LOVE them. I made her a promise to pull her out of pageants and just keep her in competitive cheer. I think I need to dig a little deeper. Thoughts??
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3068155

So are you not looking for a coach now?

Last edited by Allison; 02-22-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #139
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
Just a slightly off topic comment about dance. Please do not lump all dance into the same category. There are legitimate dance studios out there that have absolutely NOTHING to do with competitive dance. The competitive dance world (which my DD was part of for three years) is pretty disgusting. Many overtly sexual costumes and dances. It disturbed both DH and me, and we started looking around for a different type program. And, thankfully, we found one. Not only is she learning more about dance (real dance...not hoochie mama dance), but there is absolutely nothing age inappropriate about the costumes or moves. At her most recent performance, for example, her group did one piece from the Fiddler on the Roof (where they danced wearing longish skirts, full blouses, head scarves and aprons). It passed even the grandma test....grandma liked it! The girls in the group also loved it.

If your child wants to dance, search out a good program...in general, that means avoiding competitive dance. Why we have to take an art form and turn it into a "competition" is beyond me. The only people getting wealthy out of competition dance are those that sponsor this insanity.
Please don't lump all competitive dance into the same category either. It's a big industry. Different studios, even different parts of the country, do things different ways. There are some very reputable studios who offer comp simply as an adjunct to the dancers training. The experience can be wonderful. In my experience, I've have seen nothing that even comes close to 'disgusting'.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #140
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I wish they would do a natural pagent. No thrills just kids being kids.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #141
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl
I wish they would do a natural pagent. No thrills just kids being kids.
Then the mommies couldn't get off on all the shopping, running and attention.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #142
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

The world of child beauty pageants is quite foreign to me. Here in the UK, they just don't happen. I think whilst glitz pageants are wrong, natural ones are fine- all about personality and natural beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack
http://media.bonnint.net/seattle/7/747/74763.jpg

This one works. I am assuming the picture with the blond hair is her without the makeup and such. Very pretty little girl.
I have watched a few episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras and have seen the episode with the brown haired girl in. The two girls in that picture are different- here is a photo of the brown haired girl without all the makeup- http://blackkd.edublogs.org/files/20...ot-21lxwzu.png

Depending on how much makeup a girl is wearing for a pageant, they can look pretty and fairly natural. I also saw an episode with this little girl- here is a before and after picture. http://thelaughingstork.com/wp-conte...es-smiling.jpg

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as the child enjoys it, is not pushed into it, looks like themself and doesn't look like a fake doll then pageants maybe aren't so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd

cool. what level team is she on?

She doesn't happen to cheer for Cheer Time Revolution, does she?
Haha! I just watched an episode of this yesterday! Well... Half an episode was enough for me. The show wasn't about the children, it was about the mothers. And they behaved like school children themselves. I felt terrible for the kids who were treated badly by their mothers, because they didn't do as well as their parents wanted. It's all rather hypocritical really, them screaming at their children to work harder as they sit (most of them heavily overweight) and gossip together.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #143
chuckabone
Mouseketeer

My dd 12 did pageants for years. We started when she was 5ish and she loved it. Once in a while we did a glitz pageant, but mostly just natural ones that include a talent, a speaking introduction, a modeling part, and most important an interview portion. It was the best thing for her. She still wants to do them, and she is not vain or spoiled or rude. It took her 4 years to take overall supreme at one competition and losing the first few years made her work harder. She was the one on the practice stage, she was the one practicing in the mirror (when she was a bit older). Pageants gave her the chance to earn $ for the future, gaver her the opportunity to meet and work with a talent scout/coach in NYC. She has won vacations too. I hate when people who have had nothing to do with pageants bash them when all they know is what they see on TV. Whenever we did a glitz pageant, it was like a job for her and when she was off stage the makeup was off and she was just a little girl. If my parents had anything to say about it, they knew better. It's my child not thiers. I personally think the people talking about male judges etc.. should just get thier mind out of the gutter. How about just letting her do natural ones?
chuckabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #144
dimimi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedisney1982 View Post
I'm not 100% sure if DD fully enjoys them, but she is very happy when she wins. She sends me mixed feeling. Screams and kicks like a 5 year old before practice but shows up on pageant say and rocks it! I don't know. She has basically been raised in pageants...
I guess I am confused. I am assuming the child in pagents is 10? Why would you not know if she is enjoying them? If she doesn't like practicing, why wouldn't you try to have her find a hobby she likes? For example, if a child plays soccer, they typically like the practice? I am not trying to be judgemental, I am just responding to your comments.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #145
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

If your DD is having a good time and you are having a good time and you can afford all that stuff, do it and tell the others to pound salt about it.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #146
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcrazee

Very well said - I agree completely. Oh well, maybe if all these young girls that are being sent conflicting messages by authority figures and parents get "purity rings", in re previous thread, all will be well.
Oh for Pete's sakes one has nothing to do with the other. Personally I think it takes a dirty mind to see a girl in make up and think sex.

I agree with the pp about sexual moves in some dances. I feel really blessed that Dd's show director is adamant about staying away from that. He refuse to allow some of the moves that are done by popular singers/dancers. But i also think that some people think every time a child moves her hips its sexual when it is in fact a dance move.

Seeing a kid in make up and perhaps doing a dance move and assuming she is being sexual is a problem in the mind of the adult not the child. It has nothing to do with mixed messages or what the child is taught.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #147
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Sexualuzed. Not sexual. When they are presented as sexy adult women that is inappropriate. It isn't about a little bit of make up. It is about tons of makeup, fake lashes, teeth. And clothes that are adult sexy. And songs, music and movements that mimic adult flirtatious.

And there are plenty of sick minds out there.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #148
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Yeah, I was thinking of the OP's child's age.

You don't think it does enough training for modeling or you don't think its worth worrying about whether it helps to do modeling?

I was just looking at the pictures from the link someone posted and they are most definitely photogenic. I would think that most of those girls could do some modeling. (not cat-walk/fashion show but ads and such)
All of the above. I don't consider modeling a skill, especially at that age. I wouldn't think that pageants would give girls enough modeling training to be able to start a modeling career just off pageant experience and even if they did I wouldn't consider the modeling training worth all the damage pageants do.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #149
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Blame the Jon benet murder. Watching that sweet girl be encouraged to act like a vamp was horrible.
Actually, yes, that's where it all started, really. Before that, I didn't even know they had pageants for little girls.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #150
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
Sorry, former dance mom here. Dance is a HUGE offender in the arena of objectifying very young girls in sexy outfits.
My daughter was in dance until around 5th grade, and we noticed this in our studio with the teens, but not the younger students. Still, we didn't like it.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pageants

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: