Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

Mine are 3, 5, and 7 with a normal bedtime of 7 pm and we chose second seating. We are "schedule" people at home, but when we are on vacation we allow much later bedtimes and the kids compensate by sleeping in later in the mornings. It's our first cruise, but from what I've read on these boards I think we'd prefer the extra time to enjoy our evenings before having to get dressed for dinner & such.
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
jnsma
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Given your home routine, I'd stay with the early.

Our kids are 8. We eat at 6 and they go to bed at 8:30 at home. I don't know how they'd react to eating that late every night and don't want to find out. They are busy enough during the day and stay up a little later when on vacation. By the end of the week they start to get cranky and I wouldn't want to push dinner back.

The one thing we do try to do is shut off other food after 3 or so. There is so many tempting options by the pool that they'd snack all afternoon as opposed to going to dinner. By having the cutoff they are hungry and ready to eat at dinner.

I've never really felt rushed but then again an hour+ dinner with kids is plenty for me and I don't need to stay longer. Pre-kids or at Palo, I definately enjoy a longer meal.
jnsma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2o View Post
We are off on our first Disney cruise aboard the Magic in May. What are your opinions on 1st versus 2nd dinner? Right now we are scheduled for the 1st, but are considering trying to change (if that is still an option).

We've got 4 kiddos: DD10, DS9, DD7, DD5. Usually the 2 littlest ones are in bed by 7:30 sometime 8:00 during the school week, so we said of course - they won't be up for the late meal....but now we are wondering if we will have so many things to do during the day not to mention all the eating throughout the day, that we might not be *ready* for dinner until the 2nd shift.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of the different time.

TIA
We had the first seating on our first cruise and thought it was the right choice then. But we quickly realized that everyone in our family was happier if the 18 month old ate in the nursery. So I started making nursery reservations for that time.

Jump forward two years and we are now booked for our next cruise. The first time we did not have a time zone difference and for our next cruise we will. I am currently scheduled for the first seating (I was told it would be easier to get the second seating if we wanted to change) and will probably keep it because if we go to the second seating; it will be VERY late for us since we are use to California time.

But if you seem more partial to the later seating, your younger kids could try eating at their club.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
NickyDa
Mouseketeer

Our first time we had the early dinner and I felt like I was always checking my watch to make sure we had time to get ready for dinner. Next cruise, we opted for 2nd seating and WOW!! We could stay at the pool later, the line for Aquaduck was smaller, I didn't have to worry about starting showers and drying hair for my daughter and I at 4pm...everything just seemed to flow better. Plus, you're not assigned breakfast rotation at the crack of dawn on disembarking day.

Of course, if you think your kids will need to stick to an early routine, go for it. There are so many places to grab a quick bite to eat by the pools, don't worry about the kids being hungry.

Sent from MiPhone, ignore the typos

Premium Annual Passholders: WDW Regulars! runDisney Fanatics
(absolutely no way to list how many times we have been to WDW)

Wonder (5-night Eastern) 3/20/2015
Magic (7-night Eastern kid-free) 10/26/2014
Fantasy (7-night Western) 5/25/2013
Dream (4-night) 6/20/2012
Dream (3-night) 3/31/2011
NickyDa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
needAcruise
Mouseketeer

Stick to your routine, I say. Less transition for the little ones usually means less of a chance of a meltdown.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
j2o
Earning My Ears

WOW!!! I have been a lucker for such a long time, and now I don't seem to remember why I've been lurking

Thank you so much to every single person who responded. You're answers were perfect! I really love this board so much and there is such good information. Folks are always so willing to give of their time to help someone they have never met and answer questions.....sorry, I'm just so overwhelmed by all the positive and many comments that we've accumulated with this thread!!!

I think we will probably stick with the early time this trip. We've got 3 port days, one of which is at a WDW day, so we won't be back for that anyhow. The other 2 days I think All Aboard time is before dinner anyhow, so we are leaning towards keeping it as is. I think we could make it work for the later one, but maybe we'll try that next time

Thank you again, and I'm all ears if anyone else has an opinion!!!
j2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero
dinner begins at 5:15.
On which ship and what itinerary? I've never had an early dinner seating before 5:45pm. DCL's current site info says "approximately 6pm" for all four ships.

ETA: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa.../dinner-times/

Last edited by Meghatron; 02-22-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
j2o
Earning My Ears

We are on the Magic, May 10th out of Galveston, TX
j2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
Steve Dexter
Would rather be at Satellite Falls

We had early dining on the Fantasy a month ago, it wasn't terrible but we wouldn't do it again. It's just too early, we found ourselves not even hungry sometimes. On multiple previous Disney cruises we had late dining, it was just more comfortable for us. To each their own.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Steve Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2o View Post
WOW!!! I have been a lucker for such a long time, and now I don't seem to remember why I've been lurking

Thank you so much to every single person who responded. You're answers were perfect! I really love this board so much and there is such good information. Folks are always so willing to give of their time to help someone they have never met and answer questions.....sorry, I'm just so overwhelmed by all the positive and many comments that we've accumulated with this thread!!!

I think we will probably stick with the early time this trip. We've got 3 port days, one of which is at a WDW day, so we won't be back for that anyhow. The other 2 days I think All Aboard time is before dinner anyhow, so we are leaning towards keeping it as is. I think we could make it work for the later one, but maybe we'll try that next time

Thank you again, and I'm all ears if anyone else has an opinion!!!
Our first cruise was a couple of years ago, when our youngest was 16 months...we got second seating in Alaska (2-3 hours later than our time)--and have stayed with second seating ever since. Why?

1) Major reason is that I would rather our kids be happy and engaged with the shows than in 'falling asleep after dinner' mode when the show is on. The main reason I'm willing to pay the Disney premium is that they like the shows/characters so much--it sure isn't because the food is great.

2) If your older kids aren't so much into the stage shows, the window between 5:30 and the later dining time is a great time to hit the pools.

3) And hey, there are a lot less screaming kids at late seating.

The one problem with late seating is that you may have a kid whose biologic urge to sleep overwhelms hunger. My kids, unfortunately, are obliged to keep somewhat inconsistent hours, and "hey kids, this week we're eating dinner at 8 at night" is something they are able to adjust to...others are different, though. This past November we went on Fantasy w/extended family and one of the cousins (almost 5) fell asleep at dinner 6 out of 7 nights.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Oh, and forgot to say: if you did want to switch, you will have no problem. The vast majority of 'switch' requests are going the other direction.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: