Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
j2o
Earning My Ears

Dinner Time...1st or 2nd seating

We are off on our first Disney cruise aboard the Magic in May. What are your opinions on 1st versus 2nd dinner? Right now we are scheduled for the 1st, but are considering trying to change (if that is still an option).

We've got 4 kiddos: DD10, DS9, DD7, DD5. Usually the 2 littlest ones are in bed by 7:30 sometime 8:00 during the school week, so we said of course - they won't be up for the late meal....but now we are wondering if we will have so many things to do during the day not to mention all the eating throughout the day, that we might not be *ready* for dinner until the 2nd shift.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of the different time.

TIA
j2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

We always eat 2nd seating because we don't want to be rushed. We snack around the pool and enjoy the crowd relief while the 1st seating is happening. After the early show there's time to go to the family club or get dressed for dinner (we go to the show straight from the pool). The kids can dine and play and the club picks them up at 9 from the dining room (make sure you tell your server and they expedite their meals).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
sdflipside
Earning My Ears

We did first seating, and it worked out well for our kids. Even with first seating, my DS age 4 fell asleep at dinner table one night....but at least he got a few bites in. LOL.
sdflipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

If they normally go to bed that early, no WAY would I keep them up to finish dinner at like 10pm! Sounds like a nightmare to me. I would do early dinner, then one of you can take the little ones to bed, and the older kids can go do some other stuff! I never sacrificed my kids' sleep on vacation... they just got too crabby. Not worth it for me.

Even last summer, mine (7 and 9 at the time) were ready for bed by 9. At home they can easily stay up until 9. We got a nice little ritual of snuggling up in the beds, watching a disney movie, and ordering milk and cookies from room service.

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
melglnh2o
DIS Veteran

I have a little one (almost 3) and we always do first seating. Sometimes we felt a little rushed getting ready for dinner but it sure beats a meltdown at the dinner table because my DD was overly tired from the day's activities.
melglnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2o
We are off on our first Disney cruise aboard the Magic in May. What are your opinions on 1st versus 2nd dinner? Right now we are scheduled for the 1st, but are considering trying to change (if that is still an option).

We've got 4 kiddos: DD10, DS9, DD7, DD5. Usually the 2 littlest ones are in bed by 7:30 sometime 8:00 during the school week, so we said of course - they won't be up for the late meal....but now we are wondering if we will have so many things to do during the day not to mention all the eating throughout the day, that we might not be *ready* for dinner until the 2nd shift.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of the different time.

TIA
Being from the west coast, we prefer second seating.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

We did first seating last week on our first cruise and we liked it - we never felt rushed - even coming in from an excursion that got back at 4. My kids are older so that was not part of our decision - we just decided if we did late they would want popcorn and stuff at the show and would not want dinner.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
jayteadunn
Earning My Ears

We have always had second and on the last cruise we became convinced that we needed to switch to first. Kids are too tired for second. Ours are 12, 11, and 7.
jayteadunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I have been wrestling with this too OP and finally decided to keep the first seating. It will just be DS12 and myself. We are staying with the first seating for a few reasons including that we're early risers. Even coming from Utah, we won't want to eat dinner at 8:00. We eat at 5:00 at home. We also want to take advantage of late night room service. And by late I mean 10 or 10:30. If we stat dinner at 8:00 there's no way we'll eat again.

My only concern is feeling rushed during the day but the all aboard time doesn't interfere with dinner so rushing to get ready wont be an issue. I'm also afraid we'd pig out during the show and not be able to try all of the wonderful foods I've read so much about.

Good luck with your decision.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
Alfiebookshop
Earning My Ears

We did 1st sitting last year and found it a little rushed. This year we've booked late dining. That said we haven't got children coming with us - it may be a little late for little ones
Alfiebookshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

On our honeymoon cruise (December 2012) we had 2nd seating.

I'm a teacher and am usually in bed by 9 most nights. 2nd seating was not good for us. We were pooped after a full day of activities (and recovering from some wedding stress!) and were typically exhausted by dinner. After dinner, we typically just went to bed.

If your schedule doesn't normally include a late dinner, I'd opt for first seating.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
sftnslky
**May every day be filled with Magical memories**

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyriddle View Post
Being from the west coast, we prefer second seating.
We are also on the West Coast and second seating is what we choose every time. The two main reasons being the first seating is 5pm which is really 2pm to us...so WAY to early to eat dinner and secondly the second seating is more comfortable...they are not in a HURRY to get you in and out to set up for second seating...and most families with tweens/teens are in the second seating.

sftnslky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
DLW8
DIS Veteran

We have always done late seating (kids were 7 when we first sailed) and it worked well for us. Now that they are older, we definitely do late dining. We don't usually eat dinner until after 7 anyway, and during sports seasons, it's anywhere from 8 - 9. Eating at 5:45 is too early for us. If we are hungry, we grab a snack from the pool deck or something from room service to hold us over.

Good luck!

3/2014 Solo weekend Yacht Club, 9/2012 Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy, 9/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, 11/2010 Cruisin on the Magic, 12/5/09 First Cruise with a stay at the Poly, 1/16/08 First Family trip: Boardwalk Villas, 5/2000 PO, 10/1997 Dixie, 8/1995 Yacht Club, 6/1995 All Star Music, 1972 - 1989: off property trips in my youth!!

Currently saving for a Fall Western Fantasy in 2014!
DLW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
reimero
DIS Veteran

We've only done second seating, but we prefer it. Our main reasons are these:
1. Early seating is a LOT more crowded. When we last sailed, from what our server told us, early seating was booked solid. Every seat in every MDR was taken. At late seating, twice now, they put 4 of us at a table for 6.
2. Early seating is on a slightly tighter time crunch, especially if you're on the Fantasy doing the last Animator's dinner. It's still a good period of time, but they do have to reset the dining room for late seating.
3. On long/late port days, early seating sometimes before All Aboard time (all aboard at 5:30, but dinner begins at 5:15.) Once you factor in the time needed to get ready for dinner, it can cut your shore stay short. This is especially true if you have an afternoon excursion.
4. Depending on your cruise, early seating may mean only having the option of seeing the late show in the theater. Sometimes there's a 3pm matinee, sometimes there is not. If seeing the shows is a priority, this is a consideration.
5. Early seating means early breakfast on debarkation morning.

Now, if you have young children, keeping to an established schedule is a compelling reason to go with early seating. But the first time we cruised, we were concerned because we don't normally have dinner at 8:15 at night and didn't know how well we'd handle it, but early dining was sold out. We needn't have worried. Late seating worked extremely well for us.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

With two kids ages 8 and 5 we always do first seating. 2nd seating would end way to late and i would rather have them eat early and enjoy a full evening in the kids club. My kids get really grumpy when they dont have dinner by a certain time and I couldnt imagine making them wait for dinner until later.

Now if it was just myself and the wife I would probably prefer second seating because I hear more families sign up for first seating.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: