Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
Jaya
DIS Veteran

delete

Last edited by Jaya; 02-22-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

My favorite had a wife who was afraid of any home that was already lived in because it might be haunted by the ghost of someone who died in the house. Every house they saw she would mention the possibility that someone died in it and it was haunted by their ghost. I am talking homes built in 1980 too. She of course picked the newest house. I wanted to slap her.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #18
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
I would want a fireplace in Charleston, especially during:

Month..........Avg Low
Jan..................43
Feb..................46
Mar..................52
Nov..................54
Dec..................46

Born and raised Charleston girl here.

A fireplace in Charleston does get used- every now and then.

Most days however, it's too warm for it. There were many many many times growing up I begged my dad to start a fire and he said it was too hot. Especially at Christmas when we would have loved nothing more than to have a roaring fire to go along with our short sleeves we were running around outside in.

It's in the 60s in Charleston this week, btw. Perfect, considering how hot is gets super fast.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Have you noticed that they usually pick the one they've complained the most about?

And.. they all seem to have realtors who don't listen to them. Their budget is $400,000, they have to have four bedrooms and three baths and they want a 2-story. The realtor takes them to $500,000 ranch houses (that are only a "little" over their budget) with three bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths. I think after the second house that didn't match my criteria, I'd be finding a new realtor, how about you?

The one thing that's a hoot on the international shows is that they usually start out saying they want to experience life in Italy or Greece or Guatamala or......... and expose their children to different lifestyles and then proceed to complain bitterly that the apartments are small, the ceilings are low, the bathrooms only have showers, the kitchens don't have granite countertops or dishwashers, and there's no assigned parking. They'll insist they want to live in "historic" buildings and then complain that the fireplace is ugly or the layout isn't "open concept". Helllooooo.......maybe they had just better stay in Houston or Chicago or Los Angeles?

I'll swear that I'm not going to watch another episode and then BAM! there I am back at the TV watching another episode.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Tinkermommy
Not too exciting but we all can't have a tipped uterus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
My favorite had a wife who was afraid of any home that was already lived in because it might be haunted by the ghost of someone who died in the house. Every house they saw she would mention the possibility that someone died in it and it was haunted by their ghost. I am talking homes built in 1980 too. She of course picked the newest house. I wanted to slap her.
I might have put the thought in her head that land can be haunted too.

Wasn't that the case with the movie "Poltergeist"?

This show drives me crazy. People think of the weirdest excuses. Just own that you want what you want.

Tinkermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

I watch this show quite a bit....and I was horrified last night by this woman. From being the SAHM to 2 pugs, to her adversity to the carriage horses, to the facial expressions she made when she didn't like something.

I actually turned it off before they made their decision b/c she was so annoying. If I were him, I would send her packing back to NY and live in the house alone.

Charleston looks like a beautiful town, however! Lots to do for families? Maybe thinking of a vacay there sometime...

Minnesota! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Charleston is spectacular. I was listening to a radio show recently and Charleston, SC came in on a survey as the number one city in the US to visit, even ahead of New York, etc.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
I remember the episode where they were looking for a home with a special place for the lady's pet turtles!
I remember this one. She was quite unusual! I remeber she traveled weekly for work and took the turtles with her. I guess some hotels are turtle friendly!
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
Charleston is spectacular. I was listening to a radio show recently and Charleston, SC came in on a survey as the number one city in the US to visit, even ahead of New York, etc.

It was Conde Nast Traveler. http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispat...-city/1646229/

I can't tell you how many people have told me they came for a visit and never left.
It's like nowhere else.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
alex9179
DIS Veteran

I watch both House Hunters shows all of the time-although my favorite is International. I just love looking at the homes, areas, and what's available at the different price points. Shoot, I look at our area listings, online, a couple times a month!
We have to tear out a leaking shower and are going to take this chance to reno the bathroom. I've been looking at my neighborhood's baths to gauge what's in the comps as well as what you can find at the higher price points in deciding if a bigger shower or double sinks is the way to go, if my budget can't handle moving the plumbing to accommodate both. I think real estate is fun.

My husband can't stand the scripting, but I don't pay too much attention to it. I know that it's exaggerated and a set up.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #26
Mokat76
DisKat

I just always crack up at the young couples living in 2000 sq ft who need a larger place because they're having a baby. Not quintuplets. Not octomom. A baby, as in one. Good grief.

I will confess I bought a house with a porch I could screen in for the cats, but I enjoy it, too. I don't get to be their SAHM, though. I have to pay off the mortgage since they won't get jobs. Little jerks.

Still, I enjoy the show. I wonder about people's priorities sometimes, but I did seek out houses with screen-in-able porches, so who am I to judge, eh?
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76 View Post
I just always crack up at the young couples living in 2000 sq ft who need a larger place because they're having a baby. Not quintuplets. Not octomom. A baby, as in one. Good grief.

I will confess I bought a house with a porch I could screen in for the cats, but I enjoy it, too. I don't get to be their SAHM, though. I have to pay off the mortgage since they won't get jobs. Little jerks.

Still, I enjoy the show. I wonder about people's priorities sometimes, but I did seek out houses with screen-in-able porches, so who am I to judge, eh?
My sister would need a similar house! Her cat loves to go on walks, and cries at the door lol. She might even build a cat enclosure like one couple on HH planned too.

My childhood friend was a realtor on the show. They classified where I live as a suburb of a large city. Um, its a 2 hour drive to the city through country!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Have you noticed that they usually pick the one they've complained the most about?
That's because it's fake and they want to trick us on which one they buy. You can usually tell with HH as it's the empty house. Harder with the HHI as the are usually furnished.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Nah, I don't take much stock in the descriptions they give of the people on the show...did you ever notice that they are never a grocery store cashier, a janitor, unemployed, etc? They always make the descriptions of the couples career sound more upscale and glamorous than it probably actually is. She used to work in the IT field could mean she worked for Geeks to Go, He is in finance could mean he's a bank teller...whatever. I'm guessing that 'she quit to be a stay at home mommy to her dogs could mean that she's mentally unstable and had to take a LOA from her job to participate in intensive therapy with those anxiety dogs. You just never know what kind of spin they are putting on these things, and you know they are going to try to make the people look better as much as possible.
I agree that the stories are often fake especially for HHI. They show their names on the screen and you can often google them and find the real scoop. Often they are young people who blog about their experiences on the show or whatever.

However with HH they do have to be in a certain point in the house buying process. Forget the word for it. Maybe escrow? So they have already bought but have not moved in. That's why you do see some before and after pictures. So they wouldn't be qualifying for mortgages if they were unemployed or on a LOA. I mean the house search is totally faked but the actual house purchased is not nor is the timing.

HHI is totally fake as often they have lived there for a long time already. I guess it's harder to find people willing to do it that have moved from another country. I read that most of them do it as they get the free trip back home for the "farewell" scenes.

I always have to roll my eyes on HHI when they talk as if someone just decides to up and move to a foreign country without a job or knowing anyone. Nothing about getting work permits or Visas. Just up and move for a change.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I'll swear that I'm not going to watch another episode and then BAM! there I am back at the TV watching another episode.
this is so me!
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: