Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
If you have even a passing interest in wine, you will be disappointed. This is not a tasting of new discoveries served in Riedel crystal. These are short pours of supermarket $7 wines served in plastic cups. If you want to do it "just because", then I suppose that there are worse ways to spend $20. (But $40 for two people is hard to justify). If you are thinking about this as a way to taste and discover some new wines, I would reconsider. Spend your money choosing more selectively in Italy, France and Germany.
JimmyV! The voice of reason. Thank you - I needed that.

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
DEA
DIS Veteran

OT: Jiko Wine Tasting

Quite a bit off the Epcot wine topic, but perhaps a good alternative:

I highly recommend the Wine Tastings on Wednesday at 3pm at Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's $25/person, you taste three of the South African Wines, get cheeses from the artisanal cheese selection at Jiko along with some fruit, and get to hear about the wines and the South African wine industry from Jiko's sommelier. The initial tasting pours are good, and we've been allowed refills. At a table of 11 people, we ended up going through about 6 bottles of wine during the tasting.

The wines are off the list at Jiko, and are generally in the $35-$40 range on their list.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post

I highly recommend the Wine Tastings on Wednesday at 3pm at Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's $25/person, you taste three of the South African Wines, get cheeses from the artisanal cheese selection at Jiko along with some fruit, and get to hear about the wines and the South African wine industry from Jiko's sommelier. The initial tasting pours are good, and we've been allowed refills. At a table of 11 people, we ended up going through about 6 bottles of wine during the tasting.

The wines are off the list at Jiko, and are generally in the $35-$40 range on their list.
Thank you! That sounds fabulous!

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
That Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Is the card dated? I mean could I possibly do 3 wines on one day and then 3 wines on the following day?
I did this in December. The card is not dated, I used it on two different days. I agree that the wine isn't the top of the line but I found them to be enjoyable - some better than others, of course.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

I'm actually shocked we haven't seen the "If you have to have wine to enjoy Epcot, you have a problem", post.

Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
disneyfreak89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Is the card dated? I mean could I possibly do 3 wines on one day and then 3 wines on the following day?
No, the card is not dated. Since each country/sample/visit requires a stamp, as long as you have the unstamped card, its good the next time you go to get your sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post

Great alternative! We haven't done this yet but have tried flights of wine at Jiko and were not disappointed. By far the best wines on Disney property!

Honeymoon '89 - OFFSITE 1990 - FW; 1992 - DixL; 1996 - FW; 1999 - FW/CSR; 2001 - DixL; 2003 - FW; 2005 - POFQ/ POR; 2006 - PC;
2007 - PC/CBR; 2008 - SSR/OKW; 2009 - PC/CSR; 2010 - VBR/WL/PC; 2011 - SSR/BWV/AKV; 2012 - SSR/BWV/VBR/HHI; 2013 - POR/SSR; 2014 - OKW/BCV; 2015 - SSR
disneyfreak89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: