Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I would suggest the Nexus 7 or 10 tablet. They are awesome!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I love my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7", but if I was buying for my DD I'd go with the iPad Mini because she's had an iPod Touch for years and would strongly prefer a gadget that didn't require the use of a new platform or the re-purchase of apps and media she already bought through iTunes. I haven't had an Apple product and starting from scratch preferred Android, but I think once you get started with one or the other switching over becomes pretty unattractive.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Domo
DIS Veteran

If price is an issue you could always get a refurb? They're cheaper and just as high a quality as a regular iPad, coming with a one year guarantee, new outer shell and new battery.

Example: Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 16GB - Black - Verizon (3rd generation) - $509.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
Domo
DIS Veteran

I have a killer idea.

When's your son's birthday? If it's out in time, I could not recommend the Ubuntu Tablet more. Ubuntu Touch is a free version of Linux, a graphical operating system much like iOS and Android. It's extremely pretty, very stable, universally supported and not derived from a media giant like Apple or Google. It's awesome. Check it out here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
I have a killer idea.

When's your son's birthday? If it's out in time, I could not recommend the Ubuntu Tablet more. Ubuntu Touch is a free version of Linux, a graphical operating system much like iOS and Android. It's extremely pretty, very stable, universally supported and not derived from a media giant like Apple or Google. It's awesome. Check it out here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet
Thanks for your advice & help! The ubuntu looks great! wonder if its sold in canada thou? i checked online and couldnt find anything.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Domo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Thanks for your advice & help! The ubuntu looks great! wonder if its sold in canada thou? i checked online and couldnt find anything.
As far as I know, it's not been released yet but will be soon. Here's hoping it's out in time for the birthday and that it lives up to expectations!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
nym4588
Mouseketeer

I'm typing this from my iPad so you can guess which way I'm leaning....

Honestly, though, I can't imagine he wouldn't be thrilled with either one. What a nice mom
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
crazelion
Form feet and legs...form arms and body...and I'll form...THE HEAD!
Why did the monsters at the end of "Voltron" always get killed by the Blazing Sword?

Nexus 7 or 10, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle Fire HD all android

All my kids have cheap tablets that are android for 100 bucks. I could not afford 600 or 1500 dollars in tablet.

Plus my kids also have Samsung Admire that I got for 49.99 dollars that got on sale at Best Buy they love them. They play with that besides the tablet sometimes.

Thank You GumpyPirate
crazelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
Domo
DIS Veteran

If it's any help, the iPad 5 is rumoured for a launch sometime in June. Then is the best time to keep up with trends or to nab a good deal on an older model.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
If it's any help, the iPad 5 is rumoured for a launch sometime in June. Then is the best time to keep up with trends or to nab a good deal on an older model.
Thanks for that tip!
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #26
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo
I wouldn't believe most rumors about Apple. There are so many of them and most of them are false. I used to go along with all of the hype, but now I just wait until an official announcement from Apple.

OP if you do decide to buy a Android tablet, just be careful with the apps you get. There are a lot of Malware apps for Android. Google has a big problem with this. One of the many reasons I prefer iPads over android powered tablets.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #27
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
I have serious problems with the Android system. Over 40% of the apps on it have security flaws, some very serious. This is down to an app philosophy of "quantity not quality", most unlike Apple who audit their apps more tightly.
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Help! My son's birthday is coming up, he's going to be 13! Its a big deal. So i want to buy him something nice. He wants a tablet. Im thinking an ipad-mini or android tablet, like Samsung. Im kinda anti-apple, so im leaning more towards android. But i have to remember this isn't for me. Lol! Which one would you pick for a 13 year old boy?
I have the Nexus 7 with mobile data. It is wifi and I can buy a 30 day data plan when I need it. I have traveled twice with it over the past 6 months, purchased 30 days each time for $30 each time. I know you like Android, which is a super OS. He will love it, you will too.

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

https://play.google.com/store/device..._32gb_hspa_att

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
Domo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Really?
Ya, rly.

Of the 1,260 malware samples the team at North Carolina State University tossed at the Android OS, only 15 percent of them were detected by Google's app verification service.

2 Universities downloaded 13,000 Google Android apps and found that 41 out of every 100 apps were insecure.

It's a pity because I instinctively like Android due to it's foundations, but these flaws really worry me. It's no big deal if you're careful about what you download... I mean, it's only dangerous if you start downloading apps with names like "PayPal Tracker"

Last edited by Domo; 02-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #29
ashmarie06
DIS Veteran

I agree about the validity of android apps. But as far as best tablet goes, I love my iPad! But I've never had any other tablet to compare it too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: