Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
momz
DIS Veteran

carry-out, what's for dinner?

Yesterday was one of those days...so, I didn't have it in me to fix dinner (didn't have it in the pantry either). I decided to get chinese take out.

DH and I were talking about how we wish there were other take out options. Locally, we have the basics (pizza, chinese, fast food, and pasta from fazolis). So, we were daydreaming a bit about how nice it would be to have a local place that offered carry out only, but more home cooking kind of stuff like the stuff you would make yourself but don't have time to.

So, that started a completely new conversation about what those kinds of foods would be. Here are my family's favorites

Chili
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
taco salad
veggie soup
tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich
egg salad sandwiches

Maybe I should hire a personal chef.
momz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

All of the diners here offer "home cooked" meals and have a take out option. My husband always gets the Gyro platter and there is nothing like a diner cheeseburger with cheese fries and gravy (and honey mustard).

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

2014 Reading Challenge
Currently Reading Book #1 - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Now I'd be super happy to have a Fazoli's again, they closed all of ours!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by momz View Post
Yesterday was one of those days...so, I didn't have it in me to fix dinner (didn't have it in the pantry either). I decided to get chinese take out.

DH and I were talking about how we wish there were other take out options. Locally, we have the basics (pizza, chinese, fast food, and pasta from fazolis). So, we were daydreaming a bit about how nice it would be to have a local place that offered carry out only, but more home cooking kind of stuff like the stuff you would make yourself but don't have time to.

So, that started a completely new conversation about what those kinds of foods would be. Here are my family's favorites

Chili
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
taco salad
veggie soup
tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich
egg salad sandwiches

Maybe I should hire a personal chef.
You can get any of that stuff at the diner for take out-
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

There's a catering place probably a quarter mile down the road from my house that has a small carry-out on the side... they offer all kinds of "regular" food that would be good replacements for home cooking.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

DH picked up some Sonic burger and fries tonight... I feel like I have gained 10 lbs, but it was good.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEmomma View Post
There's a catering place probably a quarter mile down the road from my house that has a small carry-out on the side... they offer all kinds of "regular" food that would be good replacements for home cooking.
We have one of those less then 5 min from our house as well.

The only "fast food" or "take out" I ever get in from a local place called Fresh-A-Fare. They have two in out city and I LOVE this place. They are actually a lettuce processing plant (they package all those pre-washed lettuces for retail) but have a store front.

Once a week or so I go in and buy a "meal salad", you get to pick from 4 types of lettuce ( I always get spinach and spring mix) pick your own toppings and salad dressing. This is a huge salad, more then enough for our family of 5 to enjoy with dinner. I then buy a loaf of freshly baked rye or multigrain bread and whatever we don't eat that night gets turned into croutons the next day to go with the huge bag of chopped and washed romaine I buy for salads for the next few days. This costs me $13 but sometimes I'll grab a bowl of soup or a veggie sandwich for lunch or a jar of their salad dressing. Everything is very reasonably priced, homemade and actually healthy. They also sell the jars of homemade salad dressings, soups, baked goods and pretzels, sandwich fillings (tuna, chicken and egg salad) and homemade gelato and much more that you can grab and take home with you. As a vegan I NEVER ate take out before but now I LOVE this place as it has so many yummy healthy choices. Plus it is always packed in there so they must be doing something right. You can easily go in there and get a take out meal for your family for under $20, a woman I work with gets a meal salad, a loaf of bread and a tub of the chicken salad for $14 it feeds her family of 4 for dinner.

Last edited by mombrontrent; 02-23-2013 at 06:43 AM.
mombrontrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
DH picked up some Sonic burger and fries tonight... I feel like I have gained 10 lbs, but it was good.
Ugh me too! My DH brought home 5 Guys Burgers last night-our first time trying it & it was good in the moment, but then DH got indigestion & my house smells like a burger kitchen today I just lit every candle in the house to try & get rid of it!

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Where I used to live there was a rotisserie chicken place that opened up. It was a big commuter area. It was great going in and grabbing a delicious chicken 1000 times better than Boston Market.

Then they started doing sides, stuffed potatoes, fresh green beans, delicious cranberry sauce, corn bread or biscuits.

Gosh I miss that place. But back then all the restaurants on that street offered take out(fish market would even cook you a meal to go, or leave fresh fish for you at the pizza place next door

Edit to add it's still there! Gosh that was over 20 years ago when they first opened, so glad to see they are still arond

Last edited by java; 02-23-2013 at 07:00 AM.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

A lot of the restaurants around here have take out menus so we don't have to be stick with just fast food, pizza or Chinese.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Last night our carry out was for a new Mediterranean place right around the corner from our house -- we had kabobs, pitas, lentil soup, hummus and falafel. Mmmmm......

The storefront has been a revolving door for take-out places, so I hope they stick around. The soup was amazing!

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocatz View Post
Ugh me too! My DH brought home 5 Guys Burgers last night-our first time trying it & it was good in the moment, but then DH got indigestion & my house smells like a burger kitchen today I just lit every candle in the house to try & get rid of it!

I can't eat there anymore. I feel so sick afterwards

We have plenty of places here like Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, Outback, Applebees, Ihops, etc where you can get a good home cooked meal for takeout.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

All 3 of my kids were/are very high needs infants... first meal out with DD1 was when she was 6 months old & it was a disaster. We just took the twins out with us to eat for the second time last weekend -- they're almost 8 months. So over the course of time, we've had a LOT of experience with takeaway, lol.

Hands down, the best chain takeaway has got to be Texas Roadhouse. They open up everything for you to examine & confirm the order is right. They give you lots of rolls and that yummy cinnamon butter. For thinks like their chicken tender salad, they package the chicken separately so it doesn't make the salad yucky in transit. Never once has our food been wrong, cold or later than it should have been. Not my favorite restaurant to go to, but hands down consistently the best to-go food we've gotten!

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
jenny105
DIS Veteran

There is a take out only place in my town called Dinner in a Pinch. They make family size meals with two sides included to take home. I have yet to try it but the menu sounds delicious - meatloaf, pot roast, crab cakes, and pork chops among other things. Yum!

jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Wegmans has great take out meals. Lots of choices and they cost between $6-10.
Poohforyou is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: