Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Travelling w/ Injectable Meds

My dd29 just started a new med last week. She has to give herself two injections a day. We have a trip in October and this is new for us.

1) How to keep them refrigerated during our flight.

2) Will she need anything from the dr to be able to fly with them.

3) While we are there, now do we keep them cool in the parks.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Hi, I hope that you have a great trip.
1) look into a frio pack, I am not sure if it will be large enough for your needs, you can also fly wiht soild frozen gel packs, but they have to be soild with no slush.

2) Just be sure to have the RX label with the meds. It might not be needed, but better safe than sorry. No doctor note needed tho.

3) You can leave meds in the first aid center at the parks and they will keep them in a fridge for you.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I would suggest going to www.coolerconcept.com and looking at the Frio Cold Packs. There are several people in this forum, myself included, who use them.

These are gel packs that are water activated. They will keep the internal temperature at insulin-safe levels for over 40 hours. As the water evaporates you can just soak it in water for a few minutes to reactivate it. They come in various sizes.

For example, I have a "double wallet". Depending on what I am doing it will hold my Byetta pen as well as either a syringe with insulin in it or two insulin vials. And I tend to do at least five air round trips a year and have never had any problems with TSA over it.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
I would suggest going to www.coolerconcept.com and looking at the Frio Cold Packs. There are several people in this forum, myself included, who use them.
1) I use them.
2) Got the idea from a post of Chesire Figment years ago.
3) WORKS LIKE A CHAMP.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Thirding or fourthing the Frio wallet. Awe. Some.

I've never been asked for a doctor's note or any kind of documentation to fly with syringes. Like jmartinez, I make sure all the medications have their original packaging and prescription labels.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

The Frio products say they keep an internal temp of 67-72. Her meds are not insulin and it needs 35-52 degrees so I don't think they will work. She is on Octreotide prefilled syringes.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Sorry that was supposed to be 35-42 degrees.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Tink575
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
Sorry that was supposed to be 35-42 degrees.
Take a small bag with refreezable ice pack, just make sure it is frozen solid when you board. I have a medport bag for diabetics that I bought at Amazon.

You might want to check with the hotel and make sure the refrig there is at proper temperature and has a section that can freeze the ice pack solid. Some hotel mini fridges I found were either too warm, or froze my insulin. I now travel with a refig thermometer. I use this in Fl. in our own house, because the cleaners just set the frig at the highest setting and leave.

At the park you can have the medicine refrigerated at first aid. Mark it with your name and cell number.

Sept. - Oct. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
My dd29 just started a new med last week. She has to give herself two injections a day. We have a trip in October and this is new for us.

1) How to keep them refrigerated during our flight.

2) Will she need anything from the dr to be able to fly with them.

3) While we are there, now do we keep them cool in the parks.
1) For the flight, I would see if the company that makes the med has cooler bags available. I was on synthetic growth hormone for a few years as a kid, and before the first trip I took with it, I got a cooler bag with some icepacks in it. I'm not sure how my mom got it, but it is worth looking into.

2) I like to have a doctor's note just to be sure, but I'm an anxious person who always likes to have all my ducks in a row. I don't remember actually having to show it to anyone.

3) I believe First Aid might be able to help you with that.
utterrandomness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Go to the TSA's website and simply read up on carrying on medicines and what is allowed . I usually print off the relevant info from their website so that if I encounter any trouble I can say "well, your own policies state this..." (note, I have never encountered any problems). More than a doctor's note, this will help you.

Start here: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...cal-conditions And just find the relevant sections.

I also agree with making sure you bring a fridge thermometer for the room. If the meds needs to be kept that cold it will probably be worth your while to just store them at first aid OR determine if you even need to bring them into the park.

We usually carry on one vial of insulin that isn't opened yet (so has to be kept at fridge temps) and I find good luck simply using a standard lunch bag with an ice pack and I wrap the box of insulin in paper towels and put it in a zippy bag (to keep it from freezing). The tricky part is making sure the hotel fridge freezes the ice pack well enough for the return trip home.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: