Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Anyone ever NOT do any excursions?

We're booked for Alaska 2014. This will be our first cruise ever and at the moment, we're not sure what our budget would be, so I was just curious if it's possible to just not do any excursions and still have a fantastic cruise.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Sure, some people like being able to enjoy the ship with fewer people on it.
NurseDave is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We didn't book any excursions through DCL. We did White Pass on our own, then took the bus to Mendenhall. There was a free bus in the other port and we just explored the town on our own.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Have not done the Alaska cruise- since we live here, when we cruise we want WARM! But on our 2nd and 3rd cruise we didn't do any excursions. 2nd cruise we stayed on board while everyone else got off and it was HEAVEN! Pools were empty, no lines at lunch, nice and quiet. I loved it 3rd cruise we got off and did our own thing in two ports, but decided after one really boring/lame port to go back to "our boat" early. The kids loved having everything to themselves and didn't want to get off the next port, which was fine with us. On our meet thread people were posting about the resorts they were going to with free food and pools and loungers...paying $30-40pp. We had all that for free right where we were Unless it's something really exciting, I don't feel compelled to get off.
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

After 11 Disney cruises, besides a few adventures on CC (parasailing and stingrays) we have only done 1 actual excursion. We cruise more for the ship experience than the ports.

With that said I am considering doing a tour on Grand Cayman this summer so I may be up to 2 after 12 crusies.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Thank you! That's great to hear. We were thinking we might just enjoy getting off for a bit and walking around on our own and then just getting back on ship. There were a couple of things that looked interesting, so we might, but I was still hoping that not doing anything would still be just as enjoyable.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

We did not do Alaska with Disney but we had the same ports. We did not spend much money on excursion and had a great time. Most of the ports we had more fun walking the small Alaska towns that the excursions we went on.

Vancouver, Canada - We did not get off the ship. We stayed on the ship and had a great time.

Ketchikan, Alaska - Nice very small town. We walked the town (about 4 blocks total) and then seen a Lumber Jack show. The show was OK but next time we would just walk the town.

Juneau, Alaska - We took a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier that was nice to see and learn what a clacier really was. I then spent the afternoon walking the shoreline shops and part of town (about 6 blocks). I then spend about 3 hours setting at a outside bar on the shoreline having a drink and watch people walk by.

Skagway, Alaska - We did not take an excursion. We walked the town, had a local lunch and watched the "The Days of '98 Show" just walking up.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008

Last edited by MikeAndNick; 02-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
We're booked for Alaska 2014. This will be our first cruise ever and at the moment, we're not sure what our budget would be, so I was just curious if it's possible to just not do any excursions and still have a fantastic cruise.
Thinking about it, I have never done an excursion on a Disney cruise yet! My wife and kids have, but I prefer the quiet of the ship on a port day more than anything else.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamColt View Post
After 11 Disney cruises, besides a few adventures on CC (parasailing and stingrays) we have only done 1 actual excursion. We cruise more for the ship experience than the ports.

With that said I am considering doing a tour on Grand Cayman this summer so I may be up to 2 after 12 crusies.
We did Grand Cayman on our own. Took a taxi to seven mile beach and it was so wonderful my DH wants to book a whole vacation there!
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

We're doing our first cruise (4-day Wonder from Miami) in May. Since we're doing a shorter cruise and have never been on the boat before, we're not planning any real excursions. Key West is easy enough to trolley/walk, and we're spending the Nassau day on the boat, enjoying the Rainforest Room and pool while doing Palo that evening. On Castaway Cay, we're doing the snorkel/float/bike package, but I'm not sure I'd call that an excursion, per se.
KappaSigHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
lucas
°o°

We've sailed many many times to the Caribbean and 4 times to Alaska.

In the Caribbean, I would rather stay on the ship.

In Alaska, the towns are so darn cute, safe, and in easy reach I would never just stay on the ship.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

We didn't. We're more of a "let's explore!" family (or my dad is, I'm more of a "Keep Dad alive" person. He forgets to look both ways when crossing the street. Yeah....), so in the Caribbean we just wandered. Had a lot of fun. This next cruise my mom and I are planning to wander.... go have lunch and shop.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

We only did 1 DCL excursion for our Alaska cruise in Victoria. You won't have that stop so I'll skip mention of it.

Skagway-- we spent $50/pp and did a 4 hour bus tour up to the Summit of Whitepass, and a City Tour. We went w/Frontier Excursions.

Juneau-- took the glacier express for $8 to Mendenhall, did the visitor center, hiked to nugget falls, took more pictures of the glacier, then ate at the crab shack. Best day we had on the cruise in terms of port days.

Ketchikan-- we walked to Creek Street, watched the salmon run up the creek, Spent like $2 and took the funicular to the top of the hill and took pics of totem poles by the lodge, then shopped along the pier. It was rainy the whole time and we were glad we didn't take an excursion.

With the exception of Shutters CD, we only paid for tips, Palo and our Victoria excursion. It was pretty affordable.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1
We don't do many excursions, perhaps 1-2 per cruise. Partly due to the prices, but primarily because we enjoy exploring the ports on our own.

We did Alaska on another line, but just enjoyed exploring Skagway and Ketchikan at our own pace. We did Mendenhall Glacier at Juneau and saw lots of black bears, catching and eating salmon below the elevated walkways. In Ketchikan it rained most of the day, so in the afternoon we found a bar with free wi-fi. DW did some work, while I chatted with the locals. In Skagway I had a map of historic buildings that kept me well entertained.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
melglnh2o
DIS Veteran

We are leaving for our third Disney cruise on Saturday and we have never booked an excursion. We like to get out at the ports though and do things on our own. I find the excursions are pricey although there are some positive aspects of it (safety, don't have to worry about missing the boat if a taxi/bus/etc breaks down, getting lost, etc).

We are beach people so we just grab a taxi and go.

Bottom line is you will still have a wonderful time even if you don't do any excursions. However, if there is one or two that are offered that you really are interested in go to a different website (like tripadvisor or frommers) and find a company that does one similar. It might save you some money.
melglnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: