DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #46
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

We have invited my parents before and wouldnt let them pay. My dad tried to pay me when we got there and I told him that we had it all taken care of.

We just invited my BIL and his family and told them the same thing, the room is on us but tickets and other stuff is on them.

If I do the inviting, I dont expect anything in return. I get additional joy in going with others!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Went on a family DCL and paid for the whole trip using our DVC points. Have another DCL in the planning stages for new DGC.
Booked Thanksgiving in a OKW 1-Bdrm, had all family members over for dinner (12 total).
Booked SSR three studios, for each family to have there own room this past year. Placed "Travel with" notation on all the reservations, did online check-in for two of us, and since DW and I arrived first we were able to check-in all three rooms at one time. Great job done by the scheduler, got us all in one building and on one floor.
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.
Multiple trips have taken DMnL for a night at different resorts.
DD High School graduation in an OKW GV. Had ten people on that trip, we were able to work the free WDW passes (pre-2000), and our family member who is a CM to get everyone in free to the parks for a day.
Took DGC (<1) on his first WDW trip at Christmas to BCV and multiple other trips since then.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #48
intertile
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisegirl
I guess I left out a main part. When the $350- ck was sent to me, I paid for part of my yearly plan. My friend is basically over exaggerating she will be sleeping in a homeless shelter if I do not refund her her money. I am not "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". I was feeling that all that mattered was her money and not the fact my loss of money. They have a time share and know the implications. I was taken back by her urgency with the money when they are in a better financial situation than us. I am not saying I am right or wrong. We all had to be on the dining plan so having the friends that came pay for a dinner was not in the cards. We did purchase groceries and I personally would have paid for all of them if invited to stay for $350-. That was not the case....they did not offer. I have to realize everyone is not like me I guess. Thank you all for helping me see things in a different way.
Wow...sounds so familiar. Won't go into specifics, but we own at dvc and in Aruba. We've taken lots of family and friends with us the last 7 years. Stuff like this used to eat me up. About 4 years ago I just came to realize that I have a different view of things than other people...doesn't matter who is right, it just is what it is. So now, if I am going to invite someone with us on a trip I just automatically offer the accomadations and don't expect anything more than a thank you. I find that this way I just enjoy myself more, and am never disappointed. If I'm not able to do this for whatever the reason, I'd just rather not invite them.

intertile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #49
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

I've never charged friends or family that stay with us.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #50
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisegirl View Post
When the $350- ck was sent to me, I paid for part of my yearly plan. .... and not the fact my loss of money.
But the maintenance fees would need to be paid anyway. What if they hadn't said yes to the trip? You still would have needed to pay the fees for those points. That's how I look at it with our points, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
While logged in check out the DVC forums, you should be able to see the rent/trade board. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29. Be sure to read the stickies at the top of the board.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
But the rental forum will require the OP to have used the board much more before offering the rental, from my understanding of the rules.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #51
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

But the rental forum will require the OP to have used the board much more before offering the rental, from my understanding of the rules.
From reading the stickies, it appears that people who don't meet the posting criteria to offer a rental, may pay for a membership that will allow them to post.

If someone does not contribute by participating, they may contribute financially to post their points for rent,

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #52
chrisegirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri125 View Post
This was my thought too. What are you hoping to gain by reminding her that you are out 88 points? You obviously value her friendship - do want her to validate your feelings? Apologize? Give you back the check? I could understand needing validation if she backed out because they just decided they didn't want to go but they had to cancel because of a SURGERY. Which they had been waiting for. I'm thinking she probably has a lot more on her mind than the 88 points. Also, even if she hasn't expressed it because she has a lot on her mind, don't you think she and her family are terribly disappointed that they don't get to go on the vacation? Isn't reminding her of your lost points kind of like rubbing salt in a wound? I know I sound judgmental and I guess I am, but it sounds to me like you are not being a good friend. Figure out how to rent the points, recoup your loss, and figure out how to move on. Then figure out how YOU can be a good supportive friend during your friend's time of need.
I did leave out a lot of detail. I am a great friend and have been supportive. Your message was harsh, but knowing you do not know the entire situation I get it.
chrisegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #53
chrisegirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
I normally rent my extra points for anywhere from $11-$13 a point. For family/friends I rent them at $10/point, I also make them sign the same contract as I do for any other renter. Then there is no confusion about the terms and conditions about the rental.

Points = Money and since I wouldn't give away hundreds/thousands of dollars to my family/friends, I also don't give away points.

One of my friends just recently wanted to rent some points from me again and I said that was fine, but since I would have to borrow points to make the reservation for her, there would be a no cancellation and no money back clause in the rental. She wasn't positive she could actually go, so she decided to book with Disney instead so she could cancel if need be. She totally understood were I was coming from and she's still hoping to rent points next time.

Thanks Doug! I think we are the only ones who see this. I would never charge anyone the full amount. I just suggested that they each pay $350- which covers their 6 day stay. It goes towards my yearly fee. I thought this was more than fair. We had the dining plan, so there is no treating us to dinner. Once dining and park passes are paid...not much to buy. We purchased groceries and split them. I personally would have paid for the groceries, but not everyone is me. You live and learn. Some people are generous and some are not. If I invited family I would never ask for a cent. These families asked so I thought again, $350- was fair.
chrisegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #54
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

don't charge family - and friends only if they ask to go.

done WDW for years free to family - just send my nephew on his honeymoon to Hawaii for free as well.

that say now retired and money is short - so unless my family agrees to only go once every 3 years - not sure what I am going to do.

it was my brother and his family (4 people) - now the kids are adults and live separately. (3 families - with separate vacation time)

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #55
a742246
older than dirt

Quote:
Thanks Doug! I think we are the only ones who see this. I would never charge anyone the full amount. I just suggested that they each pay $350- which covers their 6 day stay. It goes towards my yearly fee. I thought this was more than fair. We had the dining plan, so there is no treating us to dinner. Once dining and park passes are paid...not much to buy. We purchased groceries and split them. I personally would have paid for the groceries, but not everyone is me. You live and learn. Some people are generous and some are not. If I invited family I would never ask for a cent. These families asked so I thought again, $350- was fair.
You didn't do anything wrong. If someone offered me a stay in Disney, I would definately want to share the expenses and if I had to cancel I wouldn't expect to get reimbused by you (if you lost any money) from it.

Hopefully you rent those points and make a little profit from it. Good luck....
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #56
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

I've done it both ways. I gifted pts to a friend who went on her own w/her family and I just rented to nephew who is also going on his own.

My nephew called and asked me to help plan his vacation. He said he wanted to stay at AKL so I told him to price it out and if he wanted he could rent the points needed from me. It would have been $2800 thru Disney and it was $990 to rent my points @ $10 per pt. Needless to say he is super thrilled as he realized that he is getting a great deal. He didn't ask for a free vacation, but I'm glad I was able to save him $1800. I told him upfront that it was not refundable.

My friend on the other hand didn't even call to thank me until 10 days after she returned. Some people just don't get it. the points I gave her cost me both money and lost points and all I wanted was a thank you.

You friends should have honored the deal regardles since you Offered your points to them because they asked to go. I think you are very generous to share your points with your friends. You could have all gone to Disney and had them pay for their own accomadations and you could have banked the points and used them in the future. By sharing you gave up a future vacation, 88 pts is a lot....thats a full week in a studio. I can see why you are so upset.

I hope you can rent the points, but if you can't can you get the 3 bedroom again or stay longer?

Have a great trip.

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #57
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

We've owned at OKW since 1993. We've invited family many times over the years. We don't charge anything. I view it like a second home. If we were blessed enough to have a beach house, we'd invite people without charge.

OP hopefully you can bank or rent the points --best of luck to you.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #58
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

For group trips where I am a participant, I never charge people that I invite along. Usually they will pay some of my meals or buy groceries, but we never do the Dining Plans.

Now, when I have extra points, I have booked for friends that go by themselves and they have voluntarily reciprocated in different ways, I never asked for anything. For instance, my dentist's daughter and her family have been twice on my points in a 2 bedroom. And in return, I've gotten some free dental work. But I've never charged any set amount at all.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #59
fmer55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsal View Post
Points = money and I have yet to find that my family and friends realize that it costs me money to "share " with them. As a result I do not ask anyone to join me unless I plan on paying for it all. Not worth the hassle of those who do not get that they cost me money and not worth losing a friendship or family relationship over. My vacations are my buisness and if people want to go to Disney on the cheap they can stay at the all stars or become a DVC member.
It also costs money to live in your house, do you charge a cover when you have a party?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #60
fmer55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see the point, it is just not how I look at my points. When I initially started accumulating points I was also looking at Ski houses. My family decided they would rather have WDW as their primary second home. This is exactly how I look at my points, they are my vacation home. The MF's that I pay are the same fees and upkeep I would have to pay if I had a ski house. This is all my personal preference and don't judge anybody for the way they use their points.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: