DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
DizBub
Totally Addicted

We host family in a 2br at least once a year, this year it's twice. A long weekend at Kidani in May and a full 7 nights at BWV in Sept.

Whoever comes has to put up with us as we want to use each and every point ourselves. I wouldn't take money from family for these trips. Now if we couldn't go and they wanted to use them I may take the cash equivalent of the dues on the points used. This stuff ain't free.
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisegirl View Post
... I therefore had to try and get a 2 bedroom and luckily I got one! Now she is asking for her $350 back and needs it now. I want to explain to her how I now have to use 88 points by the end of July b/c they cancelled, but I do not want to lose a friend. I sent her the check. Does anyone know of a way I can remind her of my loss. Also, any suggestions as to what we should do with the 88 points? ...
So you are closer than 31 days to the start of your reservation and your use year is August? So you can't bank those points?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

We've done a couple of things:

1. We have friends who are big fans of the Values. So when they travel with us and we provide them a DVC acommodation, we take what they would've paid for a Value.

2. We've taken family and told them to give us whatever they would like (b/c they would insist on giving us something). They've usually given us around $1K for 5 nights in a 2 BDRM that accommodated their 7 members.

3. We've treated other friends and while we couldn't join them for their entire stay, we did make a quick appearance to see them after our cruise this past June and asked for a day of DATW and a nice meal at LC in return.

Being able to share DVC with friends and family and ask for (close to) nothing in return is one of our perks.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #19
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We either invite without expecting them to pay for lodging or we don't invite.

I would never invite someone to my home and expect payment.

If they offer, we let them cover some meals, but that is about it.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

We have invited family and friends and expected no compensation. They treat us to a dinner or something but nothing is expected really - we would not have invited them if we did not have the points. We enjoy their company and want to share Disney with them.

Most don't understand the whole DVC concept - we know that too.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #21
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

The operation had to happen and you sent the check in spite of the fact that you had mentioned that they could lose money. I do not understand why, if she is such a good friend, you have to remind her of your loss.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
FreeTime
DIS Veteran

We have charged $10 per point when a friend rented from us and we were not going.

We have charged $100 per night a studio when my scout troop wanted and dads decided they wanted to go.

When we have invited family with us, we don't charge them anything. Sometimes they take us out to dinner, buy the groceries for the room, watch the kids so DH and I can go out for the night.

One time part of our family cancelled, we used the extra space and then didn't invite them the next time.
Offsite-03/97, Offsite 05/98, Offsite 09/98, Offsite-09/99, OKW-05/00, BWV-09/00, OKW-02/01, BWV-09/01, VWL-07/01, OKW-05/02, VWL-09/02, FW Cabins-12/02, BCV-02/03, BCV-09/03, ASMo-09/03, OKW-01/04, BWV-06/04, OKW-12/04, Wonder-5/05, BWV-05/05, SSR-10/05, BWV-10/05, CBR-10/05, CSR-07/06, OKW-07/06, Wonder-12/06, Offsite-12/06, SSR-03/07, II Exchange @ Mariott Timberlodge-07/07, Disneyland Hotel- 08/07, SSR-10/07, ASMu-03/08, VWL -06/08, SSR-08/08, Wonder-12/08, ASMu-12/08, ASMo - 12-08, Offsite 03/09, SSR 08/09, Pop 12/09, SSR 12/09, BWV 03/10, SSR 06/10, BWV 06/10, Disneyland Hotel 06/11, Pop 11/11, BWV 11/11, Pop 4/12, BWV 4/12, BWV 06/12, SSR 07/12, VGC 06/13, BLT 06/14, OKW 06/14
FreeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #23
JaneSparrow
Mouseketeer

We've only been members since 2010 so we don't have a lot of experience. However, all the times we used our points, we have friends with us.

We didn't charge anything.

We have another trip this year in December and taking another friend (family of 4) in 2BR. If they cancel, the plan is to ask other friends or families. If none can join us then we may try to book a 1BR. Otherwise, we keep the extra room and enjoy the space too!
JaneSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Points = money and I have yet to find that my family and friends realize that it costs me money to "share " with them. As a result I do not ask anyone to join me unless I plan on paying for it all. Not worth the hassle of those who do not get that they cost me money and not worth losing a friendship or family relationship over. My vacations are my buisness and if people want to go to Disney on the cheap they can stay at the all stars or become a DVC member.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #25
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisegirl View Post
I booked a Villa for 3 families. Two family of 4's and our family of 3. I told them all they had to pay was $350- towards our DVC yearly fee and the airfare, passes and dining plan was on them. I told them it was important that they took this seriously and if they back out it could cost them money. One family of 4 who are good friends had to back out b/c her husband had to have surgery. He has waited years for this surgery and the time had come and he had to have it done now. They backed out. I tried to find a third family to join us but it was too late of notice. I therefore had to try and get a 2 bedroom and luckily I got one! Now she is asking for her $350 back and needs it now. I want to explain to her how I now have to use 88 points by the end of July b/c they cancelled, but I do not want to lose a friend. I sent her the check. Does anyone know of a way I can remind her of my loss. Also, any suggestions as to what we should do with the 88 points? I cannot take my daughter out of school again as we just returned from a 5 day stay at SS. Airfare is high so we may have to drive wherever we decide to go. OR should I sell the points and how. Thanks for listening. Also, how do you handle sharing your points with friends/family? Do you charge them? How would you have handled this situation before and after the cancellation?
Thank you for listening! :-)
When we 'share' our points, we always "share" a villa. But we also don't ask for any money for the vacation. We usually get a two bedroom and we get the master, they get the other bedroom and the kids are spread out throughout the space. Of course this means we have to keep the numbers of people down. But it has worked well twice now with two different families.

I would try to rent your 88 points. You did the right thing by giving her money back. People who don't own DVC do not understand the implications of the situation and can't be expected to understand it. Or perhaps you can extend the stay of the other family with the points.

Good luck. I haven't been in the situation (yet) where I may lose points and I wish you the best of luck finding a situation that works in your favor.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #26
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
We either invite without expecting them to pay for lodging or we don't invite.

I would never invite someone to my home and expect payment.

If they offer, we let them cover some meals, but that is about it.
yes, this is what we do as well. Anything else, and you are bound to be disappointed.

We typically rent a two bedroom, and various friends come and spend a night or two in the second bedroom. At one point, we even had a third set of folks on the couch!

They buy groceries, or drinks, or dinners, or some combination.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Some people here are very generous! I'm only generous with our parents, they come with us at no cost and we love being able to do that. Friends however, they would be going without us as we have travelled with all our friends and won't be doing it again...and I would definitely charge them a little...just enough to cover my MF's per point. They are still getting an amazing deal and I don't have to take a loss.

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
Some people here are very generous! I'm only generous with our parents, they come with us at no cost and we love being able to do that. Friends however, they would be going without us as we have travelled with all our friends and won't be doing it again...and I would definitely charge them a little...just enough to cover my MF's per point. They are still getting an amazing deal and I don't have to take a loss.
But we don't see it as a loss; we see it as a gain because we get to hang out with our friends while we enjoy our favorite vacation spot. Plus, for us, we are the ones asking and the costs of airfare, tickets and food are exuberant. To then suggest that they offset our costs doesn't seem right (to us) since they wouldn't have spent the thousands if it hadn't been for us. Usually, our friends pay for a few of our meals and drinks (alcohol) so this is enough thank you for us.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

We only invite my parents, MIL and BIL (her son). We get them their own studio. I have never and will never ask for a dime and provide the villa only, they get their own tickets and other things. All of these folks help us out with different things throughout the year and I love sharing with them.

I would love to get a two br for my Bro, SIL and their 5 children sometime...but her Dad owns a condo elsewhere in Orlando...and they are very much last minute people. So I will send them to David's sight to rent. I also do not have enough points to sponsor a 2 bedroom and get a villa for DH and I. So knowing this we do not invite them to stay DVC. It saves everyone's feelings if they should back out...doesn't make me love them any less...it is just dealing with the facts.

I have also rented a few points from a good friend to get a full week one time. She didn't think a contract was necessary but I insisted, so we did it.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
But we don't see it as a loss; we see it as a gain because we get to hang out with our friends while we enjoy our favorite vacation spot. Plus, for us, we are the ones asking and the costs of airfare, tickets and food are exuberant. To then suggest that they offset our costs doesn't seem right (to us) since they wouldn't have spent the thousands if it hadn't been for us. Usually, our friends pay for a few of our meals and drinks (alcohol) so this is enough thank you for us.
My friends would be travelling without us, we wouldn't invite them to go with us because none of us have the same vacation personality AT ALL, so for them to go alone and use our points and us paying for that isn't something we are willing to do. We don't charge our parents because we are going with them and they are staying with us.

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: