Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

Which resort for a no parks visit?

Ok, not sure we'll actually go through with this, but here goes.

My kids and I each have 4 days of Water Parks and more left on our tickets from our recent trip. DH will be out of town for two weeks in early June. The boys and I are toying with the idea of doing a week in Disney just using our left over waterpark tickets and also doing some of the things we don't always take time to do when in Disney. Such as DisneyQuest, Mini Golf, the new Bowling place, the hot air balloon ride, some DTD time, maybe a movie, and lots and lots of pool time.

What resort would you stay at?

I first thought of staying at either BC/YC or the Poly because they are so tropical and BC/YC have such an amazing pool. But I don't think that I could be that close to a park, see it every day, and not be able to go. Plus if I am going to spend that much on a resort, then why not stay some place cheaper and get park tickets, right??? So in trying to keep the cost reasonable where would be a good place to stay for such a trip? Also wanted to note that the value resorts are pretty much out as an option.

Up Next:????
Resorts we've stayed in: ASMox3, ASSp., ASMu, PC, CBRx3, CSR, PORx2, POFQ, WLx6, Poly, BC, YC, BWV, AKL(Jambo)x2, AKL (Kidani), SSR, OKW, SOGx2, Swan, Vero Beach!
tinkerbellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I see your point -- it would be hard to be at the BC and not go to Epcot... or hard to see the castle from the Poly and not go to the MK... And I agree about the prices there, too.

If you don't want to be looking at the parks you could try AKL (or even WL). They are still deluxes but are less expensive than the others.

AKL has great pools and water play areas, lots of resort-specific activities, animal-watching, nice restaurants and it's very close to BB. We love it there (to me it's a destination in itself, but we do miss being able to walk to the parks, which isn't a down-side with your plan). That would be my choice for a non-parks trip since IMO you get a bit lower cost and still get amazing Disney theming.

Another plus to both resorts are that they are all in one building, so you won't be walking out in a downpour from the lobby to your room in the afternoon.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
DVC4FUN
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

For a nonpark trip I would choose AKL/AKV. If you are trying to keep costs down you can rent AKV from a DVC member. For that head over to the rent board. Now if I was choosing a Value resort I would go with AOA or POP.
DVC4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
nicki.momof3
Addicted to Disney Vacations

My take:

1. I would not be able to travel to WDW and not go to the parks. It would not be fun for us.

2. Keep in mind all the money you are going to spend on the "extras" could just be spent on park tickets. Though many will be included in your "more" tickets so I can see the savings.

3. I like going to the pools for a short time at disney to relax but I can do that at home or at any other resort in the world. WDW is unique and not a "pool" resort vacaiton in my opinion.

4. With that said if you are going to do no parks. How about POR. It has lots of property to explore. 6 pools to use - shake it up daily. You can also take the boat to DTD daily and do stuff there. It is not as pricy as a deluxe and has a great main pool and so on.
nicki.momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

We would choose CBR! In fact, thinking about a trip just to do that! We love everything about it. You can rent bikes, a surrey, little boats, there's an arcade, wonderful big pool and then village pools. Watch movies under the moon on the Port Royale Patio, let the kids take a pirate tour on the premises, watch out for rabbits, turtles, gators, just all around fun stuff at CBR!!!
We love heading out and just enjoying a day with the hammocks on the beaches, the pool, just feeling like we're at a tropical island but 'Mickey' themed. As you can tell, we just love CBR!!

'93 off-site WDW, '94 CBR May & Oct., '98 CBR, '01 CBR, '04 CBR, '05 Peabody, '06 Pop, '06 Embassy Suites, '08 CBR, '09 CBR, '10 CBR, '11 Oct Disney Magic, '12 May CBR, '13 Sept Disney Wonder, Planning for 2015 EBTA!
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Akv. It is a peaceful resort, with lots of things to do if you want to do them. We did this years ago and had a ball! We did all the stuff you always talk about wanting to do but don't because park time takes precedence. You could watch groupon for deals on the gokarts and hot air balloons.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki.momof3 View Post
My take:

1. I would not be able to travel to WDW and not go to the parks. It would not be fun for us.

2. Keep in mind all the money you are going to spend on the "extras" could just be spent on park tickets. Though many will be included in your "more" tickets so I can see the savings.

3. I like going to the pools for a short time at disney to relax but I can do that at home or at any other resort in the world. WDW is unique and not a "pool" resort vacaiton in my opinion.

4. With that said if you are going to do no parks. How about POR. It has lots of property to explore. 6 pools to use - shake it up daily. You can also take the boat to DTD daily and do stuff there. It is not as pricy as a deluxe and has a great main pool and so on.
I do see all your points! Maybe I should add a few more details. We've been to WDW 17 times now (my kiddos are 13 and 10). We were just there last week, hence the leftover waterpark tickets. We have tentative plans to return in Oct. with DH for Food and Wine Festival. So skipping the parks won't be a huge deal to myself or my kids, we just did the parks and will again later in the year. We absolutely can live without the parks this time. And we've always said it would be fun to have more time to do some of the things we never (or rarely) do in WDW.

There aren't a lot of places I feel comfortable enough with going just me and the kids. I could go to the beach instead, but I don't like the idea of just the kids and I at the beach. And your right I could book a cheap hotel for a pool some place closer to home if all we want was pool time, but that could get old quick, and I know we'd have way more fun in WDW. And again, we have 4 days of waterpark and more tickets that are already paid for. It would cost close to $100 a day to do waterparks and other attractions at another destination. I think WDW is just a place I feel more comfortable being it'll just be the kids and I.

Resorts we've stayed in: ASMox3, ASSp., ASMu, PC, CBRx3, CSR, PORx2, POFQ, WLx6, Poly, BC, YC, BWV, AKL(Jambo)x2, AKL (Kidani), SSR, OKW, SOGx2, Swan, Vero Beach!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Have you considered a cabin at the campgrounds? Lots of activities and space for the kids to run and play, no worries about noise and close neighbors, and a real "get away from it all" feel.

In your case, I would recommend AKL/AKV, WL/VWL, FW, either PO resort, CBR, CSR, OKW, or SSR. These resorts are not as near to the theme parks, so you won't be as tempted everytime you look out your window to go to a park.

If you plan to spend a lot of time at DTD (which it sounds like you do), then one of the PO resorts, OKW, or SSR would be a better choice. Otherwise, I would just go with whichever one has a theme that appeals to you.

My personal preference for non-park trips is WL. I like the fact that it's themed so well I feel I've totally left Florida - even though I'm only 20 minutes from home. Even though I have an AP, there are times when I just need a little RnR without dealing with the park crowds - and I get that at WL.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellybutton View Post
Ok, not sure we'll actually go through with this, but here goes.

My kids and I each have 4 days of Water Parks and more left on our tickets from our recent trip. DH will be out of town for two weeks in early June. The boys and I are toying with the idea of doing a week in Disney just using our left over waterpark tickets and also doing some of the things we don't always take time to do when in Disney. Such as DisneyQuest, Mini Golf, the new Bowling place, the hot air balloon ride, some DTD time, maybe a movie, and lots and lots of pool time.

What resort would you stay at?

I first thought of staying at either BC/YC or the Poly because they are so tropical and BC/YC have such an amazing pool. But I don't think that I could be that close to a park, see it every day, and not be able to go. Plus if I am going to spend that much on a resort, then why not stay some place cheaper and get park tickets, right??? So in trying to keep the cost reasonable where would be a good place to stay for such a trip? Also wanted to note that the value resorts are pretty much out as an option.
Honestly, I would just stay off site then. Bonnett Creek sounds like it would be a great option for you. Or maybe one of the DTD hotels?
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

Great suggestions so far. Just wanted to add that if you look at my signature we've stayed at many, many of the Disney resorts already. If I'm going to go for deluxe I think AKL would be my first choice. It's an experience within itself. WL is our fave, but we were just there last week.

I would love to hear more about OKW. We only stayed at OKW once, and only for one night. We liked what we saw, but didn't have much time to explore. I love that it's a boat ride to DTD. Looking at renting points, I think we could get OKW pretty close to same price as a moderate. I like that it's beachy for the summer, and my kids loved the pool the one time we stayed there. Any think about OKW I should know?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

I would stay at Saratoga Springs. Walking distance to Downtown Disney and all it offers, plus the boat rides to other resorts, plus the bus to the water parks.

Haven't stay at SS but been there many times and it seems lovely. Have stayed at the old Disney Institute Bungalows (same place) in Jan 2000, enjoyed that location very much....and especially enjoyed the resort being away from the parks so we wouldn't be tempted to run next door to hit an 'attraction' or 'ride' all the time.

Just my idea, but whatever you choose sure hope you have a great time!

Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
luvdisney77
Mouseketeer

WLV! Quiet
Ft. Wilderness Cabins 2/26 - 3/5/11
POP CENTURY during MVMCP!! 11/25-12/3/11:santa
So far, no trip on the horizon. Need $ and FD!
luvdisney77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
CinderellaDreamer
DIS Veteran

I would do the Beach Club or Polynesian. I know the parks are right there, but I think you would be able to stand it. When you go to the parks, you don't have time to fully enjoy these fabulous resorts. There are so many fun, free things to do around the property! The movies on the beach, light parade at night, Chip and Dale at the movies at the campground. Play games at the pool. Make a lei at the poly and get a Dole Whip. Eat ice cream at Beaches and Cream. Watch the magician at the Boardwalk. Rent a watercraft or a bike.

We've done many visits to the property without going to the parks. And we've done a water parks/Disney quest only visit the last two March's. These trips have been the most memorable and relaxing for my family. Disney is a happy place for a vacation, with or without the big parks.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

I spent a week at OKW with my kids a couple of summers ago and we loved it! It is such a laid back relaxing resort. My boys loved the community center. They always had lots of activities going on. The pool isn't anything special, but the slide is fun and we enjoyed it. I love the boat ride to Downtown Disney. If you decide to splurge for a 1 bedroom that would make it even better. So spacious! If possible I'd try to get near the the Hospitality House. (It's a separate DVC booking category.) BWV is our home DVC resort and I enjoy it's location, but I just love the relaxing vibe at OKW. I'd love to spend another week there! Here is a link to part of my trip report when we ride the boat to Downtown Disney. You can see how relaxing it is! http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=390
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

My first choice would be the Poly as that's our favorite resort and we love the tropical atmosphere and volcano pool. But if that isn't an option for you with it being so close to MK, my second choice would be AKL. AKL is quiet and is kind of away from everything, so I think that would be a great place to relax and enjoy the resort/pool without going to any parks.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: