Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
DisneyMom70
Mouseketeer

Former Alaska Cruisers - Veranda Question?

We loved our veranda room on our Eastern Caribbean, but I am wondering if you use it much on the Alaska cruise as it is much colder. We are thinking a porthole room would be better, and would save money to spend on excursions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Disneyland AP***DCL Fantasy - June 30-July 6, 2012***WDW - June 21-June 30, 2012
DisneyMom70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

Yes wr spent alot of time out there. Especially the Tracy arm day.
JOANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Presley
Mouseketeer

I also chose the window over the verandah so I'd have more money for excursions. It was a good choice. There are many places on the ship that you can sit inside (where it is warm) and have a great view. Also, all the outdoor action on Tracy Arm day is outside on deck 4. We didn't regret not having a verandah at all.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Stinasmom
DIS Veteran

Having the verandah made this most beautiful cruise even more wonderful.
I am not very tall so I found the upper decks crowded and more difficult to see from. After being denied rail space by a rather pushy passenger, I spent the rest of the Tracy Arm day in our room, on our verandah:

Although my son and I did go check out the view from "secret" deck 7, that was a great spot too, not crowded and amazing views.

It was fun to be able to run to your own deck to see when the captain would announce whale sightings.
And, at least for our cruise, it wasn't all that cold. Hooded sweatshirts was the most we wore.

If you can afford it, get the verandah!
But in any case, the Alaska cruise has been our favorite! Enjoy!
DCL Western&WDW,SW,DC 12/2008
San Diego, Legoland and Disneyland 3/2008
Jazzercise Conv. at CSR at WDW 4/2007
DCL 4-night Wonder & US/IOA/Sea World 12/2006
DCL Magic Mex Riv. 6/2005 & DL/DCA
DL & DCA 5/2004, 5/2007
WDW 1994, 1995,1998, 1999, 2001 2002
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
Stinasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We always sail with a verandah and we did use it a lot on the Alaskan cruise. We were on Deck 6. On Tracy Arm day, we spent some time up on Deck 10, but sometimes wanted to just be inside but not fully inside, so it was nice to have the verandah so we could open the door and watch. We could also hear the narration from the Guide who was onboard to do a talk because there wasn't all the outdoor music, etc. that muted it - we could turn on the TV and hear it that way so sitting on the verandah or inside we could still see what was happening. And the view was different being lower than being higher. And because it stays light so late, we had several nights where we would sit out with friends just visiting but enjoying the view with some privacy. And lots of hot chocolate It was nice on port days, too, to get to see what was happening around the area.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I loved having a balcony. Used it quite a bit especially on Tracy Arm day. The outside decks were packed with people so it was nice to have a private balcony that we could use.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I agree with others. Not only for spending time out there watching scenery, but also for just leaving it open for the fresh air. For all the times in the Caribbean it's too hot to leave the verandah door open or you let out all the AC, sometimes the heat in our cabin would come on full blast out of no where & clog my sinuses. I loved being able to keep the door open. We sailed in late Aug with highs around 60 & no rain!
We got a secret verandah (pay for a cat 7 navigator verandah, but actually get a cat 5 with clear plexiglass railing due to small piece of metal that cuts off an upper corner of the area. This is considered "obstructed view". There are only 4 on the ship: 6634, 6134, 7120 & 7620. We had 6634 and our teens/tweens across the hall in 6635.
fwiw, we would normally get a window for Caribbean cruises 75% of the time, but splurged a few times for the verandah. For Alaska it was an easy decision.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
mrp4352
DIS Veteran

Another Alaska verandah lover here! We loved being able to relax on the verandah - and run back in side for a quick warm up and comfy seats!

Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
faery grandmother
Earning My Ears

Any thoughts on whether to choose port of starboard? Thanks.
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'October 18, 2004 9:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkred>WL Food and Wine Adventure</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Eating at Epcot';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script><Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'May 2, 2004 7:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkred>First Disney Family Cruise</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Gone Cruisin\\\'';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
faery grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
DisneyForLife
DIS Veteran

I have booked verandas a few times and always enjoy it but don't spend enough time out there to warrant it.................until I went to Alaska. We were always out there, as well as top decks. Having your own veranda you can go out whenever you want. Having that option in my opinion on the Alaskan cruise is priceless. You never know when you are going to see wildlife (which was abundant). We would just sit out there in awe. Gorgeous scenery, you will love it.
DisneyForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

It was a huge deal for us, because DS would never let us stand on the decks to watch the sights (like the several hour Tracy arm trip). He played inside, and we sat on the verandah, and we were all happy! A window could have worked, I guess, but we also went out there while he was sleeping, and I wouldn't have gotten great pictures through the glass. If we had a window, I probably would have spent more time in the decks (which I was avoiding)

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: