Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
gregf71
Earning My Ears

Switching Resorts & Fort Wilderness Cabins

Hi -

So, here is our idea for early December 2015 (yes, I know, but what can I say)...5 nights in a Fort Wilderness Cabin followed by 5 nights at the Polynesian. Ideally, having the first and last days being travel days, we are looking at 7 days in the parks with 2 days in between set aside for rest, relaxation, and doing other things around the resort. Questions...
  • How easy is it to move between two resorts? Is it simply a matter of checking your bags with the bell desk and asking them to ship them over to the new resort? Can we do just that, go hit the parks, and then report to the new resort later that day to officially check in there for the second part of our stay?
  • When you want to move between resorts, do you make a single reservation for the entire stay at WDW or is it two separate reservations? If two separate reservations, how does that impact the ticket package that you want to purchase? Can we purchase a ticket option for our entire stay or must we break it down to match our resort stays? And if we purchase the water parks and more option, could we visit a water park or Disney Quest on a non-parks day and not have it count against the total theme park days on the tickets?
  • Regarding the Cabins, we will not have a car, so are the Cabins even a viable option to stay at? How easy is it to get around the resort either via the buses or on foot (given that we will have a 9 year old at that time)? Are simple groceries (i.e. milk, juice, cereal, etc.) obtainable or deliverable?

Thanks!
gregf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf71 View Post
Hi -

So, here is our idea for early December 2015 (yes, I know, but what can I say)...5 nights in a Fort Wilderness Cabin followed by 5 nights at the Polynesian. Ideally, having the first and last days being travel days, we are looking at 7 days in the parks with 2 days in between set aside for rest, relaxation, and doing other things around the resort. Questions...
  • How easy is it to move between two resorts? Is it simply a matter of checking your bags with the bell desk and asking them to ship them over to the new resort? Can we do just that, go hit the parks, and then report to the new resort later that day to officially check in there for the second part of our stay?

Yes, they will move everything for you.

• When you want to move between resorts, do you make a single reservation for the entire stay at WDW or is it two separate reservations? If two separate reservations, how does that impact the ticket package that you want to purchase? Can we purchase a ticket option for our entire stay or must we break it down to match our resort stays? And if we purchase the water parks and more option, could we visit a water park or Disney Quest on a non-parks day and not have it count against the total theme park days on the tickets?

Yes, it is two separate reservations. You should get the number of days you want on your first resort ticket package and make the second reservation a "room only" with no tickets. Each "extra" is separate from your theme park days and don't count against them. If you add WPF&M to a 7 day ticket, you'll get 7 admissions/mini-golf to use whenever you want.

• Regarding the Cabins, we will not have a car, so are the Cabins even a viable option to stay at? How easy is it to get around the resort either via the buses or on foot (given that we will have a 9 year old at that time)? Are simple groceries (i.e. milk, juice, cereal, etc.) obtainable or deliverable?

Yes, the cabins are fine without a car. It is over a mile wide so walking will take a while, so the buses are the best option. You can also rent a golf cart which is a lot of fun if you're going to spend time at the Fort. Basic groceries are available at the Meadows Trading Post - milk, juice, cereal, donuts, bagels, eggs, bacon, lunch meat, bread, peanut butter, chips & other snacks, frozen pizza. Lots of basics. Every resort that has kitchens or kitchenettes will have basic groceries to buy. We usually bring basics like cereal, mac & cheese, bread, etc. and supplement from the resort store. Last trip to the cabins was the first time we used WEGOSHOP and we loved it. Made up a grocery list and it was all delivered directly to our cabin right when we were checking in. In your case for a 5 day stay, you can probably make do with the trading post supplies.

Thanks!
I put my answers in blue under your questions. Have fun planning! I can't imagine going from the space and peacefulness of the cabins to a room at the Poly! We did a split stay once and started at a theme park view room at the Contemporary for 3 days, then moved to Old Key West for a week. It was hard to split it up like that, we don't think we want to do it again. But the theme park view room was awesome!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: