Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Oh that's good to know! Are you thinking of that one?
Yes it is called "Musher's Camp" in Skagway. It includes time in the rainforest too which my DS will love & time in Gold Rush park. I am leaning towards this excursion along with the train ride if time permits.

There is a similar one in Juneau so depending upon the whale watching excursion time, I may choose that one.

So much to do!

disneybeachprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybeachprincess
Yes it is called "Musher's Camp" in Skagway. It includes time in the rainforest too which my DS will love & time in Gold Rush park. I am leaning towards this excursion along with the train ride if time permits.

There is a similar one in Juneau so depending upon the whale watching excursion time, I may choose that one.

So much to do!
That sounds perfect. We are going in 2014 also. I was concerned about helicopters. Glad I don't have to worry about that.
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Quote:
That sounds perfect. We are going in 2014 also. I was concerned about helicopters. Glad I don't have to worry about that.
When are you cruising in 2014?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When are you cruising in 2014?
Aug 4th. It's me and my 6 yo son. A friend of ours is also going with her daughter.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Quote:
Aug 4th. It's me and my 6 yo son. A friend of ours is also going with her daughter.
June 2nd with my DS who will be 14 when we cruise. Have waited so long to cruise to Alaska w/DCL! And it is my birthday too! Enjoy your cruise & when I return maybe I can answer some more questions for you!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
June 2nd with my DS who will be 14 when we cruise. Have waited so long to cruise to Alaska w/DCL! And it is my birthday too! Enjoy your cruise & when I return maybe I can answer some more questions for you!
You guys are going to have fun!!!! Wish we could do the 9 night but school is not out yet.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We didn't want helicopters or small planes either.

For Skagway, we booked the White Pass Rail journey through DCL. It left in the afternoon, and we explored the little town and the shops in the morning.

For Juneau, we wanted to get on the glacier, but not on a helicopter. We booked a tour with Above and Beyond Alaska (recommended to me by several friends). We kayaked across Mendenhall Lake then climbed up on the glacier and even had time to do some ice climbing -- that was an amazing day!!!

For Ketchikan, my DD and DH really wanted to try the snorkeling excursion through DCL. They had a great time and said they were NOT cold in the water -- they pretty much cover everything with wetsuits. They want to go back and do that again.

Good luck with your planning.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybeachprincess View Post
Same here...my DS & I can't fly in a helicopter...we do want to see the sled dogs...DCL has an excursion w/o a helicopter...I'd be interested if anyone has done that one! TIA!
I used to work for a mine. Threw up after every helicopter ride. I wasn't stressed but my body just did not like it.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

White Pass Railway
Mendenhall Glacier
Dogsledding
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom

We did - we had an early departure for the helicopter - we took the earliest available, and for the whale watching, we had an afternoon pick-up time. We had to hurry to grab a bite of lunch after we got back from the helicopter but before H/M picked us up. But our helicopter was a ride to the glacier, about 1/2 hour on top, and then back. We were gone from the ship about 3 hours total. The dog ones take longer, I think.

Harv and Marv's was great to work with - when you book the tour with them, you let them know what time you want to be back at the ship and they make sure that your time out on the water ends in time to get you back to shore and back to the port with time to spare. We had an hour buffer that we wanted which still gave us plenty of time (about 2 hours) out on the water AND we drove by the visitor's center for the Glacier (but didn't stop except for a quick picture since the people we were with wanted to do it). You can find H/M online and see what they offer and then give them a call. Also if you think you want to book with them, see if there is anyone else on your meet thread that you want to buddy up with so you know you won't have people from another ship with you.
Harv Nd marv will order sandwiches for you to have on board for a nominAl fee. Ask Callie when you book. She was fantastic at making a tight turn around time work out so we could plan two excursions with a cushion to return to the ship with plenty of time
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: