Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Question Alaska Excursions! Help me decide!

HI fellow dis-ers

Finally! I am booked on a DCL cruise to Alaska in 2014 I have read & read the threads on excursions. PLEASE help me to decide: If you could choose one excursion per port, which one would it be & briefly why? This is probably a one-time trip & please no helicopters or sea planes! It is me & my DS 13 sailing

TIA!

disneybeachprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Well, I was going to say splurge and do the helicopter in Juneau to the top of Mendenhall Glacier - it was magnificent! We did that and it was awesome. To compensate for the expense, we just explored Ketchikan on our own, doing some shopping and just hanging out on a Sunday afternoon.

For Skagway we did one of the excursions that you take the train up through the Yukon Pass and then a bus back down to the port. Skagway is a cute town for just hanging out, too.

We did privately booked whale watching with Harv and Marv's while in Juneau as well. Definitely would do it with them again. We joined up with another DISer and her family and booked it together - there were six of us on the boat and it was really fun.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

We also did whale watching in Juneau with Harv and Marv. I would definitely recommend this. It was a favorite of the kids and adults.
Ketchikan we did the lumberjack show-was okay but wouldn't waste time in port doing it again.
Takshanuk 4x4 in Skagway was also lots of fun.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, 11/2014 Celtic Thunder Cruise 2--MSC Divina
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

In 2011 we did:

Juneau--one of DCL's dog sledding excursions. Not the priciest but the one just below that. We felt that we'd get to spend a bit more time with the dogs and we did. It was amazing. We took the helicopter to the glacier, spent some time with the dogs (15 minutes or so), the 20 minute ride around the glacier, a few more minutes with the dogs, then helicoptered back.

Ketchikan--we did the Rainforest Sanctuary Hike through DCL. It was interesting and nothing strenuous at all. More like a walk. We learned lots about the temperate rainforest, the Tongass Nat'l. Forest in general, learned about but didn't seen any bears (saw evidence though), learned about and saw eagles, salmon, totem poles (there's a carver on site to watch in action). My DDs were tweens at the time and enjoyed it.

Skagway--We did the Yukon & White Pass trip but through an independent company, Chilkoot Tours. Their offering was a small tour bus one way and the train back. Our departure was the bus up, train back. The group was small, maybe 12 people, and there were so many photo op stops along the way which I didn't think we'd get from DCL. We went to Caribou Crossing, saw the sled dog pups, enjoyed the lunch but didn't do the sled dog ride there. After the time at Caribou Crossing we went a short distance north of there to see Emerald Lake before being taken to the train station. I'd highly recommend Chilkoot. They have a website to look at.

One thing that I liked about each port is that there's lots to see on your own. Walking tours are highlighted in several travel books. Enjoy your cruise.
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
htmlkid
Gold DCL Member / SSR DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybeachprincess View Post
HI fellow dis-ers

Finally! I am booked on a DCL cruise to Alaska in 2014 I have read & read the threads on excursions. PLEASE help me to decide: If you could choose one excursion per port, which one would it be & briefly why? This is probably a one-time trip & please no helicopters or sea planes! It is me & my DS 13 sailing

TIA!
We did the Alaskan Cruise last summer and it was amazing. Unfortunately the absolute highlight of the cruise was the Helicopter Dog Sledding. Yes it was like $500 a person and I struggled with paying that much for a 4 hour excursion but it was worth every penny. Ok off the helicopter soapbox.

I don't remember which port we did which... but we did a zipline course in one town that was amazing. In another we did the land tour of the Mendenhall glacier and it was great. In another we did whale watching..... very slow and boring... Another amazing trip was the Bering Sea Boat Ride. As we were leaving port a huge pod of killer whales swam right by the boat... then they took us to an island where bald eagles hang... and they fed a box of fish to them... they were diving right over our heads. then it was off to pull pots of crabs... again amazing.. the boat was clean and very professional and there was actually 3 guys from the show there with us....

Good luck with whatever you decide on... its an amazing trip!!!!

htmlkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Skagway - we did a hike and then river raft(no rapids). The kids and adults both loved it and it was the highlight of our alaska cruise. The town was also very nice. The tour was with Skagway float tours.

Juneau - we did river rafting. The company we did it with was an absolute disaster. Totally disorganized. Their name escapes me. The acutal experience was fantastic though.

Ketchican - we did the lumberjack show as well and a tour. However, given the choice I wouldn't get off the boat their again.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
wfdiaff
Mouseketeer

I agree

I agree with posts about Harv and Marv. We and my DW took this excursion we were on a smaller boat unlike the mammoth that you get when you book whale watching through ship. They are very smart and know their stuff, I guarnatee you will not be upset with this. The Bering Sea boat trip was equally as good, unfortunately I cant remember the correct name of the tour. I sugget book Harv and Marv as soon as you can, they sell out.
wfdiaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

For those of you who did the tour with Harv and Marv and White Pass tours,do you remember what you paid for the adults?
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
luvmy2kids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Well, I was going to say splurge and do the helicopter in Juneau to the top of Mendenhall Glacier - it was magnificent! We did that and it was awesome. To compensate for the expense, we just explored Ketchikan on our own, doing some shopping and just hanging out on a Sunday afternoon.

For Skagway we did one of the excursions that you take the train up through the Yukon Pass and then a bus back down to the port. Skagway is a cute town for just hanging out, too.

We did privately booked whale watching with Harv and Marv's while in Juneau as well. Definitely would do it with them again. We joined up with another DISer and her family and booked it together - there were six of us on the boat and it was really fun.

Do you mind me asking if you had enough time in Juneau to enjoy both of your tours... We really want to do Harv and Marvs and the glacier with dogs (helicopter)... I was just afraid we could not do both without worrying about the time....
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

This thread is a great help so far! Thanks to all who replied!

If you did the White Rail Train w/DCL or with Chillkot, what is the difference? Are the prices about the same for the time you have?

Seeing the sled dogs is definitely on the wish list!!! Any other excursion ideas??? TIA!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Can you see the sled dogs without taking a helicopter? I'm not thrilled with flight seeing actually.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Can you see the sled dogs without taking a helicopter? I'm not thrilled with flight seeing actually.
Same here...my DS & I can't fly in a helicopter...we do want to see the sled dogs...DCL has an excursion w/o a helicopter...I'd be interested if anyone has done that one! TIA!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybeachprincess
Same here...my DS & I can't fly in a helicopter...we do want to see the sled dogs...DCL has an excursion w/o a helicopter...I'd be interested if anyone has done that one! TIA!
Oh that's good to know! Are you thinking of that one?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2kids View Post
Do you mind me asking if you had enough time in Juneau to enjoy both of your tours... We really want to do Harv and Marvs and the glacier with dogs (helicopter)... I was just afraid we could not do both without worrying about the time....
We did - we had an early departure for the helicopter - we took the earliest available, and for the whale watching, we had an afternoon pick-up time. We had to hurry to grab a bite of lunch after we got back from the helicopter but before H/M picked us up. But our helicopter was a ride to the glacier, about 1/2 hour on top, and then back. We were gone from the ship about 3 hours total. The dog ones take longer, I think.

Harv and Marv's was great to work with - when you book the tour with them, you let them know what time you want to be back at the ship and they make sure that your time out on the water ends in time to get you back to shore and back to the port with time to spare. We had an hour buffer that we wanted which still gave us plenty of time (about 2 hours) out on the water AND we drove by the visitor's center for the Glacier (but didn't stop except for a quick picture since the people we were with wanted to do it). You can find H/M online and see what they offer and then give them a call. Also if you think you want to book with them, see if there is anyone else on your meet thread that you want to buddy up with so you know you won't have people from another ship with you.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Presley
Mouseketeer

Skagway has an M & M Tour booth that you have to walk by if you get off the ship and walk towards town. We walked in there and asked what they had to offer. They offered everything that DCL offered and more. After some discussion, we decided we really wanted to view nature/wildlife from the comfort of a mini-bus. Our tourguide was excellent. That tour does go into Canada, so you need your passports on hand. I cannot emphasis how awesome our guide was. She had regular stopping places, but anytime anyone wanted a better look at anything, she stopped for that.

Juneau, we did a combo whale watch/salmon bake/mendenhall glacier. If I go there again, I'll choose a full day at Mendehall glacier and forget the other stuff. That place is beautiful and you can stay inside or hike around. I don't think there was any food for sale though.

Ketchikan, our cruise was only docked from like 7am - 11:00am. We decided we would just walk around town and check out shops. It was like a carnival in that shop owners would come out of their shops and try to get us to come in. There were guys on every corner trying to sell wildlife viewing trips and they were a bit sketchy. It's a cool town because it is one of the rainiest cities in North America.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: