Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

If you could only choose 3 TS?

We are planning a trip in Sept to WDW after 4 years. It will be our first trip fully in the bubble (we stayed at POP for 1 night last time) and we will have to be a bit more budget mindful this time. My DH and kids love the flexibility and quantity a buffet provides and I am thinking we could swing 3 TS during our trip We went to the akershus princess breakfast last time and my daughter LOVED it. We thought the food and interactions were great and I wouldn't hesitate going back. But if we are able to only do 3 TS what would you do with boy/girl 8 year old twins and a DH who likes to eat? Add to the mix that my son could eat his weight in shrimp Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

If you want a character buffet for breakfast that would appeal to boys, then the Tusker House Donald's Safari breakfast is a good value. There is plenty of food that kids like, and parents, too.

Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club has great shrimp on their dinner buffet. We were there just two weeks ago and my DH and I ate lots of shrimp.

If you are trying to cut costs and still get a buffet, I've heard that the Trails End buffet at Fort Wilderness is a really good buffet, and the least expensive buffet on the property. The easiest way to reach it is by boat from MK, CR or WL.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4 View Post
We are planning a trip in Sept to WDW after 4 years. It will be our first trip fully in the bubble (we stayed at POP for 1 night last time) and we will have to be a bit more budget mindful this time. My DH and kids love the flexibility and quantity a buffet provides and I am thinking we could swing 3 TS during our trip We went to the akershus princess breakfast last time and my daughter LOVED it. We thought the food and interactions were great and I wouldn't hesitate going back. But if we are able to only do 3 TS what would you do with boy/girl 8 year old twins and a DH who likes to eat? Add to the mix that my son could eat his weight in shrimp Thanks for the advice!
We are also planning a trip in Sept!
I would suggest Tusker House in Ak for lunch. Wonderful buffet! My 10 yr old is a picky eater and she actually gets adventurous with some of the more ethnic food.

'Ohana at the Poly for breakfast. Traditional breakfast items- bacon, sausage, eggs, etc. Plus Lilo, Stitch and Mickey.

Lastly, maybe try 1900 Park Fair for dinner. Another great buffet (with shrimp!) and hilarious character interaction with the stepsisters and stepmother of Cinderella.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
royaltybuff
Earning My Ears

Boma has great quality food and is reasonably priced. It's a buffet that doesn't feel like a buffet. I think it's a great value for the overall quality of the meal and one of the better WDW restaurants. It's a must do for us.

Crystal Palace is pretty good, although your kids have aged out of Winnie the Pooh.

'Ohana has shrimp on the menu for dinner and price wise is a good value. We've been there a few times, so we'll most likely skip it on our next trip.

You can stretch your money and have fun at Beaches and Cream over at the Beach Club. It's not a buffet, but the menu items are inexpensive by Disney standards, and the food is good.

The buffet in Germany is decent enough, and the entertainment is fun. Pricing is among the more affordable buffet options. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it serves its purpose.

I saw the interior of Be Our Guest during the previews last November but didn't get to eat there. It might be worth going just for the experience. I'm hoping to get a reservation when our 180-day window opens.

I didn't care for the breakfast at 1900 Park. Of the character breakfasts we've done, Akershus was my favorite both in terms of characters and food. I haven't been to 'Ohana for breakfast, but that gets good reviews.
royaltybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I would do Tusker House character breakfast. It has the largest variety at a breakfast buffet and having Daisy there helps with the girlie aspect!!!! It gets you one character meal so the kids get the magic.

For dinner I would choose Cape May seafood buffet. It's pricey for adults but it's got a great variety for seafood lovers and your son will make up for it with his weight in shrimp!!!!

For the third I would choose Ohana for Dinner. I'm not a fan of this place but it sounds like it would fit the criteria for your family and most people on here love it so I realize I'm in the minority.

This gives you 3 meals at 3 different park locations. For DHS you could possibly squeeze in Sci Fi for lunch which is pretty inexpensive and gives you a great atmosphere experience also. Check the prices on allears and even if you can't swing a burger there, maybe you could make an ADR for just a milkshake and have a little fun!!!
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
tinkermama117
Mouseketeer

For me, my choices would be:

Tusker House for Breakfast, good mix of both traditional and African flavors.

1900 Park Fare dinner- Your DD will love Cinderella while your DS will love the stepsisters, they are a riot.

Ohana Breakfast- I've never been for dinner so I can't speak of it, but my kids love the character interaction at the breakfast. The food is pretty good too.
1998- First Visit: off property,1999: off property, 2000: off property, 2001: off property, 2002: Land and Sea, All Star Music and Disney Wonder, 2003: Caribbean Beach Resort, 2006: Port Orleans Riverside, 2007: Off property but...then became DVC Members!!! 2008: Saratoga Springs, 2009: Saratoga Springs, 2010 (spring) Boardwalk Villas, 2010 (New Years) Saratoga Springs July 29- Aug 1 2012: BLT, Aug1-Aug 5 Disney Dream, Aug 5- Aug 11: BCV, Summer 2013:AKL and Vero Beach Split, Marathon Weekend-OKW, Summer 2014-SSR/Vero Split, Wine and Dine Weekend, Disney Magic Feb 15
tinkermama117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
We are also planning a trip in Sept!
I would suggest Tusker House in Ak for lunch. Wonderful buffet! My 10 yr old is a picky eater and she actually gets adventurous with some of the more ethnic food.

'Ohana at the Poly for breakfast. Traditional breakfast items- bacon, sausage, eggs, etc. Plus Lilo, Stitch and Mickey.

Lastly, maybe try 1900 Park Fair for dinner. Another great buffet (with shrimp!) and hilarious character interaction with the stepsisters and stepmother of Cinderella.
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of Tusker House for breakfast but we definitely enjoy AK so that might be a good option. When are you going? I'm really hoping for free dining so we won't have to be so limited
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
If you want a character buffet for breakfast that would appeal to boys, then the Tusker House Donald's Safari breakfast is a good value. There is plenty of food that kids like, and parents, too.

Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club has great shrimp on their dinner buffet. We were there just two weeks ago and my DH and I ate lots of shrimp.

If you are trying to cut costs and still get a buffet, I've heard that the Trails End buffet at Fort Wilderness is a really good buffet, and the least expensive buffet on the property. The easiest way to reach it is by boat from MK, CR or WL.
I've read good things about the Cape May Café so I will need to check that out. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermama117 View Post
For me, my choices would be:

Tusker House for Breakfast, good mix of both traditional and African flavors.

1900 Park Fare dinner- Your DD will love Cinderella while your DS will love the stepsisters, they are a riot.

Ohana Breakfast- I've never been for dinner so I can't speak of it, but my kids love the character interaction at the breakfast. The food is pretty good too.
Thanks. Where is the Park Faire - the Floridian?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Biergarten would be our absolute No. 1 in terms of buffets. It is our must do every trip. If we were limiting to 3 TS, and wanted buffets, Tusker House for either breakfast or lunch would also be on our list. If we were looking to save money, I would do Tusker house for breakfast since that would be a couple of bucks cheaper than lunch. I would also do Biergarten for lunch instead of dinner because that is cheaper.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4

Thanks. Where is the Park Faire - the Floridian?
Yes, the grand floridian resort.

My 3 picks would be a follows:

I will definitely have to pick a character breakfast. I love breakfast. It would be either Crystal palace or tusker house. Love both! Hard to pick just one, but i would probably go with Crystal palace.

My other two choices woulda Via Napoli, amazing food! and California grill. Very delicious food and gorgeous place. Love the view.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 02-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

Cape May Cafe Clam Bake - dinner
Sanaa - lunch or dinner (go while it is light outside and try to get a window table to view animals from)
Crystal Palace - breakfast

OUR 2013 DISNEYMOON TRIP REPORT

Last edited by disnmooner2013; 02-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of Tusker House for breakfast but we definitely enjoy AK so that might be a good option. When are you going? I'm really hoping for free dining so we won't have to be so limited
Mid September. I am looking out for any kind of discount!
Tusker House for breakfast or lunch would be a solid choice.
Another idea, though its not a buffet, is LTT in MK. The servings are very generous... you won't leave hungry! Prices are actually reasonable- for Disney so it may be worth it for you guys.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
mmmears
DIS Veteran

The dinner at Boma is great, and quite different from other WDW buffets.

The dinner at 'Ohana is fun and it's family style (all-you-want-to-eat). And has lots of shrimp...

Sci Fi is fun for the atmosphere... We like lots of the restaurants at Epcot, too.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
SashaFarce
Mouseketeer

My partner and I (with the exception of the super expensive Cinderella's Royal Table) find most table service breakfasts (including the buffets) to be overrated.

Were I to do 3 TS meals and divide them up one per mealtime, I'd do CRT for breakfast, Tusker House for lunch, and Via Napoli for a great pizza dinner that is Disney-economical for a family. With budget in mind, however, I would toss out CRT since it is so darn costly and go for Yak & Yeti at AK for lunch. I love that place. This leaves you with a character meal that will appeal to both sexes (Tusker House), Yak & Yeti with a little more diverse a menu, and Via Napoli for a relatively inexpensive and delicious meal that most everyone will eat.

Past Trips: Prior to 2013: 14 trips
Feb 2013 @ AoA Sept 2013 @ CBR Oct 2013 @ Pop Dec 2013 @ DLR
Feb 2014 @ ASMusic Apr 2014 on the Disney Dream May 2014 @ ASMovies Aug 2014

Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014 Jan 2014

SashaFarce is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: