Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
jediranger3
Disney and Universal Veteran

Is refillable mug worth it?

We'll be staying 7 nights in June at ASMu. I have to drink a cup of coffee in the morning. How much is the mug? If it's under $20 I think it would be worth it. I would take a cheap coffee maker, but I don't think it's allowed. Any info or opinions are appreciated.

jediranger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

I haven't bought one in a while, but I think they're somewhere in the $16 range.

That being said, the coffee available to fill them with is Nescafe - not real, brewed coffee but rather syrup added to hot water to produce a coffee-flavored beverage.

I know I may be mixed up, since we've stayed in literally every single resort on property, but I remember many of them having little, "motel" style coffee makers in the rooms already; just can't say for certain if ASMu is one of them. I don't think they are specifically prohibited, in the way that curling irons and such are not prohibited - open flame is a no-no but I think a small coffee maker would be fine. The question is, do you need to bring one, or is one already going to be there (so all you'd need would be the coffee)?
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
kashzan
Earning My Ears

all star music

The all star resorts do not have coffee makers. Boy I wish they did. i just returned from my annual trip
19 years in a row, and already looking forward to next January's trip
kashzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

If you like real coffee, you should absolutely bring your own coffee maker. The next time I stay at a value I will definitely bring my Keurig.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

It's worth it if it comes with the package. We wouldn't buy it if it was not.

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureJumpr View Post
I haven't bought one in a while, but I think they're somewhere in the $16 range.

That being said, the coffee available to fill them with is Nescafe - not real, brewed coffee but rather syrup added to hot water to produce a coffee-flavored beverage.

I know I may be mixed up, since we've stayed in literally every single resort on property, but I remember many of them having little, "motel" style coffee makers in the rooms already; just can't say for certain if ASMu is one of them. I don't think they are specifically prohibited, in the way that curling irons and such are not prohibited - open flame is a no-no but I think a small coffee maker would be fine. The question is, do you need to bring one, or is one already going to be there (so all you'd need would be the coffee)?
No longer true. Joffrey's Coffee is now replacing all Nescafe in QS and TS restaurants (in addition to the kiosks already in place in the parks)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We never found the refillable mugs to be "worth it". They really don't hold a lot of beverage. By the time you got back to your room it would be empty again. Its also a pain to carry around if you are going anywhere else. However, if its just pool time you have in mind then it may work for you since they seem to have refill stations near most of the feature pools.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediranger3 View Post
We'll be staying 7 nights in June at ASMu. I have to drink a cup of coffee in the morning.
Coffee is over $2 per cup, and I'm not sure if you can refill that while you're eating breakfast. (I don't like it enough to refill it, LOL, IF I even get it) If you're drinking coffee from the food court every morning, it's going to add up to be worth it.

Plus, at the end of the stay, it's a souvenir.

That said, we don't tend to buy them. I bought one as a souvenir (and a "do I like the coffee" check) at AS Sports once, and we were given mugs on this stay as part of compensation for issues galore. Other than that we've never bought them.

We bring our own coffee if there's a coffeemaker, or I wait until I get to the parks to get an iced latte, etc.

But if you're not going to do those things, and you ARE going to get your caffeine fix, it can be worth it.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
ars0525
DIS Veteran

We went in November (ASMu) & my mom got a mug for herself & my father cause just the cost of coffee for 5 mornings made it worth it she decided. Plus they got to drink pop or whatever at night when we came back.
Got my AP so visit whenever I can!

There's no crying at Disney
ars0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

We think they are worth it if we are going to be there more than 6 nights. Like you, DH and I have to have our coffee in the morning. He will usually go fill them up and bring it back to the room for us to drink while getting ready and having breakfast. I think the mugs are about $15. We also tend to fill them up after coming back from the parks with soda. If we are on a shorter trip, we don't get them because they are not worth it. If you have a lot of character breakfasts or other sit-down breakfasts, that also might factor in to whether they are worth it to you.

I think a small coffee is like $3 a cup so it can really add up over the course of a trip.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
StillWorldlyWise
Earning My Ears

They are high but I think they are still a good deal. You get free refills for life and it is easy to refill them at whatever resort pool you are trying out that day.
StillWorldlyWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWorldlyWise View Post
They are high but I think they are still a good deal. You get free refills for life and it is easy to refill them at whatever resort pool you are trying out that day.
Not so. The mug is only good for the current visit and only for your current resort.

This is covered in the sticky on this subject.

Although some people may be doing this, in the near future this won't be possible. The mugs are to have and RFID chip in the bottom of them and if it is past your stay dates and resort, the machines will not refill the mugs.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

We love ours. But I tend to go to the restaurant in the morning while my kids are still sleeping. Between coffee and tea I get my money's worth.

My sons enjoy the soda, because we don't drink it in real life.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
baboo800
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA
Quote:

Originally Posted by StillWorldlyWise

Not so. The mug is only good for the current visit and only for your current resort.

This is covered in the sticky on this subject.

Although some people may be doing this, in the near future this won't be possible. The mugs are to have and RFID chip in the bottom of them and if it is past your stay dates and resort, the machines will not refill the mugs.
ive been using the same mug at resorts and nobodys batted an eyelid.im probably up about 8/900 dollars at this stage

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
baboo800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Probably why they are RFIDing the cups and drink stations

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: