Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #676
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

Just looking around online at info regarding the verdict reading and imposing sentence.

http://www.azcourts.gov/PublicServices/CriminalLaw.aspx

Verdict

The foreman presents a written verdict to the judge, and either the judge or court clerk reads the jury’s verdict to the court. The court then enters a judgment based on the verdict, and the jury is released from duty.

If found not guilty, the defendant in a criminal case is released immediately. If the defendant is found guilty, a date is set for sentencing.

Sentencing
A sentencing hearing is scheduled to determine the punishment a convicted defendant will receive. The judge hears testimony from the prosecution and the defense regarding the punishment that each side feels the convicted defendant should receive.

In Arizona, the Legislature has established a range of sentences for different crimes, and the judge must impose a sentence within the range outlined by law. The options may include probation, fines, imprisonment or a combination of these punishments. In some cases, the death penalty can be imposed.

And from HLNTV:
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/02/13/arias-sentencing

Jodi Arias is doing something you won’t see very often, spending days on the witness stand, testifying in her own defense.

She has described in painstaking detail her relationships with men, particularly Travis Alexander who she killed in June 2008. She claims her former boyfriend was abusive and his killing was in self-defense.

The risk of answering tough questions from attorneys may be worth it. The prosecution is asking the jury to send Arias to death row for what it calls a brutal, cruel premeditated murder.

Once all the evidence is in — and that’s still about two weeks away — jurors will decide whether the state proved she committed first-degree murder. If they don’t think the prosecution did its job, Arias will be a free woman.

But if jurors think she is guilty, they will have more decisions to make.

First-degree murder:
If the jurors unanimously decide Arias is guilty of first-degree murder for Alexander’s death, the case would then move to the aggravation phase.

That is the prosecution’s chance to present additional evidence that the death was caused in a cruel manner. Arizona law defines it as when the victim suffers physical pain or mental anguish and the defendant knew or should have known that the victim would suffer.

The jury would then deliberate for a second time to determine if the aggravating factor of cruelty is proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

If the jury does not find her guilty of cruelty, the case ends and the judge sets a sentencing date within 30 to 60 days. At the sentencing, the judge decides whether to sentence Arias to natural life in prison or life with parole eligibility after 25 years.

But if the jury decides cruelty is proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the case moves to the sentencing phase.

This is the defense’s opportunity to ask the jury for leniency and present evidence to support why Arias should be spared the death penalty. Witnesses may include Arias’ friends and family. Arias could also make a statement to the jury.

The jury then deliberates for a third time to determine whether Arias should be sentenced to life or death. Their decision must be unanimous. In the case of a deadlock, a mistrial would be granted and a new jury would be chosen for this phase only.

If the jury votes for the death penalty, Arias would be sentenced immediately and she is likely to be sent to death row within hours. If the jury opts for a life sentence, the judge will set a sentencing date within 30 to 60 days and, at that time, will sentence Arias to natural life or life with eligibility for parole after 25 years.

Second-degree murder
If the jury rejects first-degree murder, but finds her guilty of the lesser charge of second-degree murder, the judge will sentence Arias to no less than 10 years and no more than 22 years in prison.

Arias will get credit for the four and a half years she has been incarcerated awaiting trial.

Last edited by MaryAnnDVC; 02-23-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #677
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
Makes no sense, UR! You are right. And she was suppose to be so 'talented' with the camera.
Some have speculated that maybe he thought she had already left and then she's snapping pictures unknown to him as the last ones are his face with a look of what the hell are you doing here? and then he's sitting down in the shower in a moment of oh jesus, I can't believe she's back.

The pictures she took are here posted in a real time slideshow that indicates it took ten minutes to take those photos, I just can't imagine being in the shower almost ten minutes to discover someone takig pictures of me that I wouldn't maybe have the same reaction and lunge at her and not necessarily coz she dropped my camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnnDVC View Post
But how do you know what any man is "thinking"? Of all the men I've known or come in contact with over my 54 years, I have no idea what they're thinking about sexuality.

I haven't heard the whole tape again...he said that he loved the braids, and IIRC, SHE says they're hot. As far as her sounding like a 12 yr old girl having her first orgasm, well, she always sounds like a 12 yr old girl to me. But on that tape, she's very much initiating sex talk and sex topics, and *I* get the impression many of the fantasies, including the "little girl" fantasies, are HER thing, and no doubt about it, he got caught up in it. Do you think they equally have pedophile tendencies? I don't think that one snapshot of what Travis said, at her initiation and her secretly recording, in anyway indicates any pedophile tendencies.

A fantasy is a fantasy, not real life. Just as a rape fantasy isn't about truly wanting to be raped, ie non-consensual sex, the 12 yr old girl thing isn't about wanting to have sex with a 12 yr old girl, but about the innocence of a virgin which honestly, is a "thing" with some men, no? Is it a terrible thing to find a virgin appealing? Does a threesome fantasy indicate a true desire to take part in a threesome?

I don't think ALL fantasies are harmless...surely there are times when it's an indication of actual activities or what's to come. Ever watch the documentary about Jeffrey Dahmer and the interview with him, and how things progressed? Very creepy. But I don't think there's any indication that Travis fits into the category of having fantasies indicative of a true desire.

Whoopie Goldberg has said on The View on more than one occasion that Brazilians (the grooming) is offensive because it's all about looking like a little girl. So what are shaved armpits and legs about? Maybe a Brazilian is just about bathing suits and cleanliness or as appealing as having the lights on, if you get what I mean.
I don't think there's any doubt Travis was leading a double life especially in light of everything he told his friends about Jodi and his continuous sexual life with Jodi. And that doesn't take into account his portrayal of himself in the church which quite frankly I do understand as it was a staple of his life in addition to an excellent network for his business with PPL.

Whether or not Travis would have ever acted on his fantasies outside of Jodi isn't a possibility now, but there's no disputing what he said on the tape.
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #678
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
But how do you know what any man is "thinking"? Of all the men I've known or come in contact with over my 54 years, I have no idea what they're thinking about sexuality.

I haven't heard the whole tape again...he said that he loved the braids, and IIRC, SHE says they're hot. As far as her sounding like a 12 yr old girl having her first orgasm, well, she always sounds like a 12 yr old girl to me. But on that tape, she's very much initiating sex talk and sex topics, and *I* get the impression many of the fantasies, including the "little girl" fantasies, are HER thing, and no doubt about it, he got caught up in it. Do you think they equally have pedophile tendencies? I don't think that one snapshot of what Travis said, at her initiation and her secretly recording, in anyway indicates any pedophile tendencies.

A fantasy is a fantasy, not real life. Just as a rape fantasy isn't about truly wanting to be raped, ie non-consensual sex, the 12 yr old girl thing isn't about wanting to have sex with a 12 yr old girl, but about the innocence of a virgin which honestly, is a "thing" with some men, no? Is it a terrible thing to find a virgin appealing? Does a threesome fantasy indicate a true desire to take part in a threesome?

I don't think ALL fantasies are harmless...surely there are times when it's an indication of actual activities or what's to come. Ever watch the documentary about Jeffrey Dahmer and the interview with him, and how things progressed? Very creepy. But I don't think there's any indication that Travis fits into the category of having fantasies indicative of a true desire.

Whoopie Goldberg has said on The View on more than one occasion that Brazilians (the grooming) is offensive because it's all about looking like a little girl. So what are shaved armpits and legs about? Maybe a Brazilian is just about bathing suits and cleanliness or as appealing as having the lights on, if you get what I mean.

WOW, Mare, all great points!

JA did say 'hot'. She was a MORE than willing participant in all these fantasies.

Never saw the JD documentary but he certainly takes CREEPY to another level.

Great point about what Whoppie says about "Brazallians" as vs legs and armpits.

As far as the crime scene photos. JA goes to all these lengths, taking her grandparents gun, renting a car, gas cans, dying her hair back and forth, shutting the bedroom door and locking it, throwing the gun in the desert, calling his cell a few days later etc etc ….. to make sure the MURDER of Travis is not tied to HER and she is BUSTED by a CAMERA. And she is suppose to be a photographer ….

KAR

Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #679
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Remus View Post
Some have speculated that maybe he thought she had already left and then she's snapping pictures unknown to him as the last ones are his face with a look of what the hell are you doing here? and then he's sitting down in the shower in a moment of oh jesus, I can't believe she's back.

The pictures she took are here posted in a real time slideshow that indicates it took ten minutes to take those photos, I just can't imagine being in the shower almost ten minutes to discover someone takig pictures of me that I wouldn't maybe have the same reaction and lunge at her and not necessarily coz she dropped my camera.

I don't think there's any doubt Travis was leading a double life especially in light of everything he told his friends about Jodi and his continuous sexual life with Jodi. And that doesn't take into account his portrayal of himself in the church which quite frankly I do understand as it was a staple of his life in addition to an excellent network for his business with PPL.

Whether or not Travis would have ever acted on his fantasies outside of Jodi isn't a possibility now, but there's no disputing what he said on the tape.
As far as the pictures taken in the shower, I think that she used that opportunity to get him in a vulnerable position, and I believe she used the whole "Calvin Klein" photo shoot idea. It was, after all, a very picture taking kind of day. And she probably used his pride in his new physique to get him to go along.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see fear in his eyes or anything in that full on face picture. I still think he's doing the brooding model look, so prevalent in photo shoots, and that if he were scared, or had a gun on him, his eyes would be wider, his mouth would be open, and he would be reacting more openly. JMHO

Of course Travis was leading a double life...to some extent, isn't everyone? How many people put out to the public what they're doing sexually in private? How many other Mormons/Catholics/etc have premarital sex? How many of those kids wearing purity rings aren't so pure? And how many of them actually step back and announce "OK, I'm leaving this church because I've now done XYZ"? People are involved in religion every day who don't follow every tenet. Granted, the sex issue is a huge part of the Mormon Church. But, Travis is the one that got caught. How many of those other "devout" Mormons aren't also breaking Mormon laws? I'm not saying that that makes it "ok"...actually, as far as I'm concerned, who cares (consenting adults).

I have a problem with politicians who try to control people's bodies and lives with laws, and then we find out that they're doing exactly what they're trying to prevent others from doing. I don't have a problem with CHURCH members being involved in a church and in their private lives breaking rules which they may have to answer, if found out, to the church leaders and/or God, but not the public.

No one else Travis dated testified about any desire on his part to have sex with little boys or girls, and there is no evidence ANYWHERE, esp on his computer where you'd expect to find it, of pedophilia. And of the two of them...Jodi and Travis...Jodi is the one known to have been sexually active, and to have tried a variety of sex acts. I think Travis was a frustrated (and yes, flawed...sometimes very) 30 yr old man, wanting to lead the good life, but found in Jodi the opportunity to let loose. And again, I think Jodi ran with the little girl fantasy.

I'm not disputing what Travis said on the tape. I'm disputing that it's any indication of pedophilia, especially the way it was said and to whom it was said. It just sort of sickens me, quite honestly, to basically convict someone of "having pedophile tendencies", or to suggest that MAYBE he would have acted on them if he hadn't been murdered.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #680
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Thanks for posting the info. I believe Jodi introduced him to so many things. What does not makes sense is she said she ran into the closet with him chasing her. So if he chases her into the closet wouldn't they pass each other on her way back to the bathroom? Other wise the shooting would be in the closet since he was right behind her?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #681
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Quote:
As far as the pictures taken in the shower, I think that she used that opportunity to get him in a vulnerable position, and I believe she used the whole "Calvin Klein" photo shoot idea. It was, after all, a very picture taking kind of day. And she probably used his pride in his new physique to get him to go along.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see fear in his eyes or anything in that full on face picture. I still think he's doing the brooding model look, so prevalent in photo shoots, and that if he were scared, or had a gun on him, his eyes would be wider, his mouth would be open, and he would be reacting more openly. JMHO

Of course Travis was leading a double life...to some extent, isn't everyone? How many people put out to the public what they're doing sexually in private? How many other Mormons/Catholics/etc have premarital sex? How many of those kids wearing purity rings aren't so pure? And how many of them actually step back and announce "OK, I'm leaving this church because I've now done XYZ"? People are involved in religion every day who don't follow every tenet. Granted, the sex issue is a huge part of the Mormon Church. But, Travis is the one that got caught. How many of those other "devout" Mormons aren't also breaking Mormon laws? I'm not saying that that makes it "ok"...actually, as far as I'm concerned, who cares (consenting adults).

I have a problem with politicians who try to control people's bodies and lives with laws, and then we find out that they're doing exactly what they're trying to prevent others from doing. I don't have a problem with CHURCH members being involved in a church and in their private lives breaking rules which they may have to answer, if found out, to the church leaders and/or God, but not the public.

No one else Travis dated testified about any desire on his part to have sex with little boys or girls, and there is no evidence ANYWHERE, esp on his computer where you'd expect to find it, of pedophilia. And of the two of them...Jodi and Travis...Jodi is the one known to have been sexually active, and to have tried a variety of sex acts. I think Travis was a frustrated (and yes, flawed...sometimes very) 30 yr old man, wanting to lead the good life, but found in Jodi the opportunity to let loose. And again, I think Jodi ran with the little girl fantasy.

I'm not disputing what Travis said on the tape. I'm disputing that it's any indication of pedophilia, especially the way it was said and to whom it was said. It just sort of sickens me, quite honestly, to basically convict someone of "having pedophile tendencies", or to suggest that MAYBE he would have acted on them if he hadn't been murdered.
Well, if Jodi ran with the little girl fantasy, it appears Travis liked it that way since he continued to have a sexual relationship with her until his death. Unfortunately the victims in cases like this (self defense) are also on trial as to whether or not their death/killing was due to their own behavior/action and justified. Since there's a .25 stolen from Jodi's residence prior to leaving Yreka, Travis was killed with a .25 and she admits she threw a .25 away in the desert, it seems to lean towards premeditated murder rather than self defense regardless of how Travis may have contributed to his own death including allowing the "stalking evil psycho" into his home for another round of fantasy sex play.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #682
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Great info posted today!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #683
mattzane227
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Thanks for posting the info. I believe Jodi introduced him to so many things. What does not makes sense is she said she ran into the closet with him chasing her. So if he chases her into the closet wouldn't they pass each other on her way back to the bathroom? Other wise the shooting would be in the closet since he was right behind her?
There are two doors in the closet. One opens to the bathroom and one to the bedroom. It's a huge walk in closet.

She's running away from him. It's a very short "hallway". It can barely be considered a hall even. He's so close that she hears his footsteps chasing her. She has been chased before in the same manner and tried to go left to go down the stairs and leave and she got caught. So this time she knew going left didn't work so she went right into the closet and while he is right behind her, skies to the ceiling and grabs a gun from the top shelf and has time to point it at him before he is able to get to her.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #684
Dee77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
Hi Dee. To multi-quote, just hit the little button with the " marks that is next to the button that says quote. You can hit as many of those as you like and then at the end of the thread hit reply and all the posts you want to quote will be there
Thanks!

Nov 2008 SSR Studio, Dec 2009 OKW 2 Bedroom, Nov/Dec 2010 SSR 2 Bedroom, May 2011 BCV 1 Bedroom, Nov 2011 OKW 2 Bedroom,
Aug 2012 OKW 2 Bedroom, Aug 2013 OKW 1 Bedroom, Jan/Feb 2014 SSR 1 Bedroom, Aug 2014 OKW 2 Bedroom
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #685
PebblesMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:

MaryAnn, I don't think anything Travis said shows pedaphilic (sp?) tendencies. A lot of guys like the "school girl" fantasy and I do believe it's because of the innocence. I've been compared to a young teenager with how I talk...but I've also been compared to a sex phone operator. I'm willing to bet that those who made those comments weren't alluding to their sexual preferances. Nothing wrong with a fantasy- as long as it's consensual,

Also, among my friends, we talk about many things- sex, grooming, men, fantasties and whatever else has come up at times and I will say that the majority of my female (and male) friends prefer a smooth nether region. I think it's more the times and society than anything more. Personal preference. Whatever. But yeah,

Uncle Remus: The last pic of Jodi dragging Travis, there is a pant leg and bloody body- what part of the body is it?

Last edited by PebblesMK; 02-23-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #686
beachdodrun
Mouseketeer

Just TA quick selection of words

Quote:
I think the recording of Travis saying Jodi sounded like a 12 year old *etc, etc, and that it's hot makes it sound like Travis might have had pedophiliac tendencies. I just don't know any men who would think that of 12 year old girls.

* Still keeping in mind this is a family board so it's hard to delicately post what Travis said on the taped conversation.
I dont really think TA words about the 12 yr old were in any connected to pedophillia. I think JA was just using a young sounding voice, and JA really got into the role playing. When TA heard just how much she enjoyed it, I think he was saying something to the effect of "You sounded like you REALLY enjoyed that and experienced something better than normal, a new experience, just like a 12 yr old little girl. " He could have just as easily said "14 yr old" or "16 yr old" I am guessing 12 yr old was just the words that quickly escaped with little thought and no ill intent....other than JA having the words recorded.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #687
beachdodrun
Mouseketeer

TA was living double life while trying to figure life out

Many have speculated that TA wasnt a nice person. I am not in any way trying to defend many of his selfish actions, but more to the fact, attempting to understand thoughts of a 30 yr old repressed male full of testosterone mixed with an initiating/willing/coniving/jealous female. I am guessing TA was internally torn trying to live the life his religion expected of him. He wanted to be good and hopefully find a good mormom girl that would make a good mormon wife. But you can only repress so many male hormones. Maybe he tried repressing according to the tapes with use of vaseline. But once he was offered a pretty,live, willing human alternative....hormones will win most of the time. He kept the games alive just enough to keep JA coming back. He looked good, had money, nice home, etc. But he couldnt tell his friends about his ongoing JA contact as they thought his search was for the good mormon girl. His taking Mimi to Mexico was the straw that broke the camels back. He did disrespect JA in that he kept consuming what was being offered (most single 30 yr old males would) but it didnt sound like he was leading her on or promising a future, etc. She knew the rules the whole time but was just hoping she could get him to change. I consider them as using each other equally each with ulterior motives. If all women could kill a man over some of the sexual games men have played for thousands of yrs....all of us men would be dead by the time we are 21 yrs old.

Last edited by beachdodrun; 02-23-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #688
PebblesMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdodrun View Post
Many have speculated that TA wasnt a nice person. I am not in any way trying to defend many of his selfish actions, but more to the fact, attempting to understand thoughts of a 30 yr old repressed male full of testosterone mixed with an initiating/willing/coniving/jealous female. I am guessing TA was internally torn trying to live the life his religion expected of him. He wanted to be good and hopefully find a good mormom girl that would make a good mormon wife. But you can only repress so many male hormones. Maybe he tried repressing according to the tapes with use of vaseline. But once he was offered a pretty,live, willing human alternative....hormones will win most of the time. He kept the games alive just enough to keep JA coming back. He looked good, had money, nice home, etc. But he couldnt tell his friends about his ongoing JA contact as they thought his search was for the good mormon girl. His taking Mimi to Mexico was the straw that broke the camels back. He did disrespect JA in that he kept consuming what was being offered (most single 30 yr old males would) but it didnt sound like he was leading her on or promising a future, etc. She knew the rules the whole time but was just hoping she could get him to change. I consider them as using each other equally each with ulterior motives. If all women could kill a man over some of the sexual games men have played for thousands of yrs....all of us men would be dead by the time we are 21 yrs old.
Hahahahah, there is one or two in my life that wouldn't have made it too long (though they were older). Oh to have the life of a praying mantis!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #689
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, if Jodi ran with the little girl fantasy, it appears Travis liked it that way since he continued to have a sexual relationship with her until his death. Unfortunately the victims in cases like this (self defense) are also on trial as to whether or not their death/killing was due to their own behavior/action and justified. Since there's a .25 stolen from Jodi's residence prior to leaving Yreka, Travis was killed with a .25 and she admits she threw a .25 away in the desert, it seems to lean towards premeditated murder rather than self defense regardless of how Travis may have contributed to his own death including allowing the "stalking evil psycho" into his home for another round of fantasy sex play.
I only agree with parts of this. I do think Travis used an unfortunate choice of words with the 12 year old remark. I don't think it demostrated pedophiliac tendencies. Speaking as someone who was molested as a child, I tend to have a pretty suspicious nature, but I just don't see it in this case.

I do think they argued from time to time. I don't think she was abused though. One of the text messages referenced his being "mean" to her. According to the stories she's been weaving, that could make sense. The problem is that she's been proven to be a liar over and over so I believe very little of what she's said. Anything he said to her that wasn't what she wanted to hear would have been him being mean to her in her opinion.

I do however think he definitely contributed to his own death by allowing her to keep coming around long after he should have terminated any contact with her. I'd say he paid the ultimate price for that bad judgement.

Quote:
I dont really think TA words about the 12 yr old were in any connected to pedophillia. I think JA was just using a young sounding voice, and JA really got into the role playing. When TA heard just how much she enjoyed it, I think he was saying something to the effect of "You sounded like you REALLY enjoyed that and experienced something better than normal, a new experience, just like a 12 yr old little girl. " He could have just as easily said "14 yr old" or "16 yr old" I am guessing 12 yr old was just the words that quickly escaped with little thought and no ill intent....other than JA having the words recorded.
Agreed.

Quote:
Agreed again...

Looking back at some of the characters she had been involved with, TA looked really good to her. She tried to make herself as attractive to him as possible (lots and lots of sex), but in the end, that wasn't enough to hold him. While he did use her, she was a grown woman and should have left him alone when it became very plain that is was only about sex. She refused to let him go.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #690
mattzane227
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Exactly what I thought when I heard it.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: