Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #106
MotifNumberOne
Mouseketeer

Honestly, it's kind of weird that you posted this at all? You posted photos of your home, and the town that you live in. Now when your listing goes active someone in theory could know exactly your address, and what your kids look like... as well as quite a bit about your personal life that you've posted in other threads.
MotifNumberOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #107
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
First impressions are HUGE. The clientele you are trying to attract are those interested in an old, historic house.

I would rip up that linoleum in the front entrance and expose the wood floors.

It looks small enough to be an easy project and the first impression would be much better.

Opening the front door to a historic home and stepping onto cheap linoleum would make me want to find fault with the rest of the house.
No wood floor in the front entry. It was linoleum over regular wood underfloor. We pulled it up and installed ceramic tile that you see in the picture. When the stairs were moved from the entryway to the interior of the home, the floor was changed.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #108
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotifNumberOne View Post
Honestly, it's kind of weird that you posted this at all? You posted photos of your home, and the town that you live in. Now when your listing goes active someone in theory could know exactly your address, and what your kids look like... as well as quite a bit about your personal life that you've posted in other threads.
If they wanted to know it then they could have found it out anyways. You think that people can't find out what they want about you. It doesn't take much.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #109
trishwal
Convince me to take our family to Disneyland.

I appreciate your transparency and agree, if someone wants to find you they can and will. Your job at that point is to make sure that no one wants to find you out of malice (!) It's like, Big Brother is watching, and he is ALL THE PEOPLE YOU TICKED OFF!.

Maybe I'm a little off, but I find your house charming. I'd like to see this 3 sided fireplace, and all the niches of the house, the quirks. And it's rare that someone posts a floor plan - what a great idea, wish more would add that to their realtor listings.

Do you know where y'all are moving yet?
2007 - 7 day Disney World with DS-10 and DD-6
2012 - 2 Days onsite at Universal and 3 Days Disney at Bonnet Creek DS-15, DD-11
2014 - 13 of us (parents, siblings, and all our kids) 4-Day WDW staying in a 7 BR Emerald Island villa
trishwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #110
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishwal View Post
I'd like to see this 3 sided fireplace, and all the niches of the house, the quirks.
So would I. We have a 3 sided fireplace but ours is in a comtemporary home. Very different I'd think.
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #111
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
I appreciate your transparency and agree, if someone wants to find you they can and will. Your job at that point is to make sure that no one wants to find you out of malice (!) It's like, Big Brother is watching, and he is ALL THE PEOPLE YOU TICKED OFF!.

Maybe I'm a little off, but I find your house charming. I'd like to see this 3 sided fireplace, and all the niches of the house, the quirks. And it's rare that someone posts a floor plan - what a great idea, wish more would add that to their realtor listings.

Do you know where y'all are moving yet?
It's a great house for kids and my neighbors are awesome. We are moving to Texas, hence the reason we just want out of this house. Can't wait to live in a big city again.

The fireplace is three separate fireplaces that just happen to back up into one another. In one of my pictures, you can see the cover we placed over one. (it is removable) The flu for that one is about 4x6 inches... not even big enough for a candle but it was perfect for the rooms original use.... a birthing room.

Last edited by pyrxtc; 02-21-2013 at 10:02 PM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #112
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyMomma View Post
I disagree. I live in an area where it snows and is cold all the time, and I love ceiling fans and would be disappointed if a bedroom didn't have one... would be something I'd have to do.
I agree. Keep the ceiling fans. I'm sure there is no A/C in a New England home of that age. And window units may not even fit if windows are small due to age of house.

We live in area & have ceiling fans in every room. I use them all summer, and sometimes in the winter because the pellet stove gets too hot or just to move heat to another room.

Whole house A/C is not common in New England. Most people I know have ceiling fans. I would be disappointed in a house without fans and really disappointed if it didn't even have ceiling light fixtures.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #113
trishwal
Convince me to take our family to Disneyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
It's a great house for kids and my neighbors are awesome. We are moving to Texas, hence the reason we just want out of this house. Can't wait to live in a big city again.

The fireplace is three separate fireplaces that just happen to back up into one another. In one of my pictures, you can see the cover we placed over one. (it is removable) The flu for that one is about 4x6 inches... not even big enough for a candle but it was perfect for the rooms original use.... a birthing room.
So you're moving here? Awesome. We don't have trees like you do but we do have a lot of sun. A. Lot. Of. Sun. I'm in the Frisco area of Dallas.
2007 - 7 day Disney World with DS-10 and DD-6
2012 - 2 Days onsite at Universal and 3 Days Disney at Bonnet Creek DS-15, DD-11
2014 - 13 of us (parents, siblings, and all our kids) 4-Day WDW staying in a 7 BR Emerald Island villa
trishwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #114
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

Quick question, are these the pictures that your Realtor is using for marketing?

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #115
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

I think the person who will buy a 240 yr old house, is a person looking for a 240 yr old house. They will understand all its imperfections and want to fix it up. And have the money to do it. Had to laugh at comments up thread about sagging ceilings. You would be sagging too if you were 240 yrs old.

Someone looking for a house or just a fixer upper, will probably not want a 240 yr old house no matter what you do to it to try to sell it.

OR, someone with money will buy it for land and location and tear it down & build what they want.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #116
Patience
DIS Veteran

Wallpaper is a huge turn off for me. It's too much work to remove it and you never know what what condition the walls are going to be in once it's removed. Other turn offs for me: musty or mildew smells, houses that have been smoked in, dirtiness, dark rooms, water stains on ceilings, low quality windows, and bathrooms and kitchens that haven't been updated (we are not do it yourselfers and we wouldn't buy a house with outdated bathrooms or kitchen because it would be too expensive and frustrating for us to re-do those areas ourselves).

OP, here are a few observations and suggestions that may make your house show better and sell faster:

The dark brown wall color in the living areas is too dark. Repaint with a nice neutral color. You can google popular paint colors that are often used for staging homes for sale. These tend to be nice, neutral colors that appeal to a lot of people. Pick one of those and re-paint. Pull up the carpet squares and refinish and restain the hardwoods if possible. Declutter everything. For resale purposes, you have too many pictures on the walls and they are hung way too high. I would also suggest removing the window treatments in the brown room. The single curtain panel looks odd in the pictures. Simple wood blinds would be much better (not vinyl or aluminum). The open bedroom closet is much too full and the stuff in it needs to be reduced by at least three quarters. All of the stuff in the nightstand needs to be removed as do the stickers on the closet door. Regarding the exterior, I would get rid of the metal swing set in the back yard. As you already know, the outside of the house needs to be repainted. The garage door in particular needs some attention as does the front porch. I haven't seen any pictures of the kitchen or bathrooms but those need to be spotlessly clean and decluttered for showings. If you do not have an updated kitchen and bathrooms, clean and decluttered is even more important. I am not sure what the problem is with the ceiling in the brown room. It looks like it has a buckle in it. That would concern me. Can it be fixed?

Good luck, OP. It's hard work selling houses in this market.

Last edited by Patience; 02-22-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #117
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
So you're moving here? Awesome. We don't have trees like you do but we do have a lot of sun. A. Lot. Of. Sun. I'm in the Frisco area of Dallas.
Yup, actually moving to Frisco. Well, that's the plan anyways. DH's new job is there and we want to live in the city he works in rather than have him commute like he does now. he currently works about 2 hours from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkkinsmom View Post
Quick question, are these the pictures that your Realtor is using for marketing?
Just one's I took last summer. I used them to show a Realtor friend the house. I had taken pictures of all the rooms but some of them never made it to my computer and I don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Wallpaper is a huge turn off for me. It's too much work to remove it and you never know what what condition the walls are going to be in once it's removed. Other turn offs for me: musty or mildew smells, houses that have been smoked in, dirtiness, dark rooms, water stains on ceilings, low quality windows, and bathrooms and kitchens that haven't been updated (we are not do it yourselfers and we wouldn't buy a house with outdated bathrooms or kitchen because it would be too expensive and frustrating for us to re-do those areas ourselves).

OP, here are a few observations and suggestions that may make your house show better and sell faster:

The dark brown wall color in the living areas is too dark. Repaint with a nice neutral color. You can google popular paint colors that are often used for staging homes for sale. These tend to be nice, neutral colors that appeal to a lot of people. Pick one of those and re-paint. Pull up the carpet squares and refinish and restain the hardwoods if possible. Declutter everything. For resale purposes, you have too many pictures on the walls and they are hung way too high. I would also suggest removing the window treatments in the brown room. The single curtain panel looks odd in the pictures. Simple wood blinds would be much better (not vinyl or aluminum). The open bedroom closet is much too full and the stuff in it needs to be reduced by at least three quarters. All of the stuff in the nightstand needs to be removed as do the stickers on the closet door. Regarding the exterior, I would get rid of the metal swing set in the back yard. As you already know, the outside of the house needs to be repainted. The garage door in particular needs some attention as does the front porch. I haven't seen any pictures of the kitchen or bathrooms but those need to be spotlessly clean and decluttered for showings. If you do not have an updated kitchen and bathrooms, clean and decluttered is even more important. I am not sure what the problem is with the ceiling in the brown room. It looks like it has a buckle in it. That would concern me. Can it be fixed?

Good luck, OP. It's hard work selling houses in this market.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am currently working on some and some will have to wait until spring. Can't paint in the cold because the paint will not adhere to the wood properly and will chip faster.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #118
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:

I'd play that up - make sure realtor knows this info. Any history you can give is going to help sell the place.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #119
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

The fact that there's no pictures of the kitchen or the bathrooms is a turn-off. Makes me think that they must be really bad.

You say that everything matches? That doesn't mean a thing. Matching avocado green appliances? Matching cheap metal cabinets? Matching pink toilet, sink and tub?
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #120
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
yes, lots of old houses here.

Even if they were to demolish, they could only rebuild within the exact footprint of the house because of lot size. But, because it is so old, it is grandfathered in and you can remodel anything inside without permits. Pictures are mine, not realtors.
You have an acre and you have to stay within the original footprint of the house even though you have room to go bigger? That would be a deal killer for me.
Interesting about the permits because I would think a remodel of 100+ year old houses would be the very reason you need permits for a remodel, to make sure it was safe and up to current electrical, plumbing, fire and insulation codes.

I know it must a Northeast thing, but an unfenced yard would be a deal killer too for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: