Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #91
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I thought the OP said her house was just under $200,000. That would be comparable to the one in the link.

If the house in the link was 5x the OP's house, that would mean the OP was listing her house for $40,000. Did I miss something.
Yes, you missed that Twinboysmom was referring to the house that Janepod posted, not the one Iheartmickey posted.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #92
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

First off I would get rid of the pictures that are almost on the ceiling. Was there a reason they were put up so high? Declutter, declutter, declutter.
Things that turned me off when we were helping our son look for a house:
Poop all over the place, horrible smells especially cigarettes. Dirty diaper in the middle of the kitchen floor that also had garbage over it. A large pair of men's underwear streak smeared pinned to the bathroom wall that you saw as soon as you walked up the stairs, yes this really happened. So much stuff around that you can't walk into some of the rooms, so you really have no idea how big it is or what it looks like.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #93
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
Yes, you missed that Twinboysmom was referring to the house that Janepod posted, not the one Iheartmickey posted.
Thanks!!! I knew I missed something.

I was going to say that if the OP was listing for $40,000, she could fill it with clutter and it would sell
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #94
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

On your photos of your house, you might want to include photos of the major rooms in the house such as the master bedroom, living room, kitchen. Maybe a photo of the yard since you say you have almost an acre.

Can you park a car in the garage? I want to see a garage that I can park my car in.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #95
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd

I thought the OP said her house was just under $200,000. That would be comparable to the one in the link.

If the house in the link was 5x the OP's house, that would mean the OP was listing her house for $40,000. Did I miss something.
Oops double post
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #96
MotifNumberOne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagsMissy View Post
This is definitely not what I was expecting by reading the the past explanations from the OP about this old heritage home with many rooms. I was expecting a lovely heritage home but this looks like it's had so many updates ((decades ago)) etc that any character it once had have been very sadly lost along with the curb appeal. This looks like a fixer-uper. I do think with some TLC, sanding and restaining the floor, clean fresh paint on the walls.... returning the house to the original character then the house will have more appeal.

When I hear 14 room house this isn't what I envision... one's interpretation can vary. LOL
Agreed - My fiance and I are actually in the process of purchasing a home that was built in 1671, and it has been largely unchanged since its original construction. When we were looking for a house, we really wanted character - and just "being old" doesn't match the kind of character that type of buyer is looking for.

I'd really recommend exposing the hardwood floors, and painting the interior a neutral color that is historically accurate. Re-doing a bathroom doesn't have to be very expensive, and it can be a great selling point. There are two excellent architectural salvages in New Hampshire that I frequent, their prices are very reasonable and the people who work there are very very friendly. If you were my real life friend, I would recommend going and talking to them about improvements you can make (on a budget) to highlight your homes character.

http://www.oldhouseonline.com/catego...tural-salvage/

http://www.noreast1.com
MotifNumberOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #97
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
I guess its a totally different world in the Northeast. Many people look for old houses here.
yes, lots of old houses here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie40 View Post
That's what I was thinking too.....if allowed, I'm guessing most people would buy your house for the lot only - demolish the house and rebuild - especially if it's in a desirable location. But if there are rules for historic homes, a new owner would be limited in what they could do. It would definitely be a gut and redo though.....

I would also agree that those pictures should come down.....
Even if they were to demolish, they could only rebuild within the exact footprint of the house because of lot size. But, because it is so old, it is grandfathered in and you can remodel anything inside without permits. Pictures are mine, not realtors.

Quote:
This house has 14 rooms? ! You'd never know that from looking at it from the outside!
Check the diagram. Everyone is surprised at how big the house is once you get inside. it just goes on forever.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the backstory and didn't even bother looking at the old thread, but it's unfortunate that the bottom has dropped out of the price of this house.....to go from expecting $260,000 to less than $200,000 is rough. I'm not sure what the circumstances are, but I don't think I'd be moving if I didn't have to. That's quite a hit on the price.....
When I wanted to sell originally, we just wanted to move. Now we just want the house gone since we are moving no matter what. It actually assessed to about $240k but we just want it to sell quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
I dunno...can you tear down a 240 yo historical building? If you can, would the townspeople hate you for tearing down something that old?

Our first house was on the historical register and that limited what we could do and how it was done. It was a cute little brick house with tons of work inside. We did refinish the floors and some other things but it was nothing but work, all the time. Plus, 25 years later, that house would not have supported all our electronics of today--it'd have probably blown up from all the chargers we have!
Not on the registry but could be. I have been told that it wouldn't affect what could be done to it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
I'm really sorry to get off topic but I looked at your other albums and wow you must really like sewing. You have over 50 pictures of the same dress.
I just started sewing last year. That one dress just frustrated me greatly and I took a bunch of similar pictures to pick the best ones to put in my review. I think it's fine that you looked at my other stuff.

This is the backyard. Note that the dirt pile is not there and not see from this shot is either of the gardens.

Front entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
I'm going to assume you live in Newbury, NH since that's that name of your album. This one is for sale there and although not ideal it seems to be in much better condition for the money.

$199,900 | 3 Bed 3 Bath
http://www.realtor.com/search/listin...rid=4029252901
yes I am there. I know this house, my friend lived there. It is very 80's and generic. The people looking at that house would not like my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEmomma View Post
DH & I absolutely love older, outdated homes. Seeing an old house with an updated bathroom and all that lovely, vintage subway tile missing makes us sad. We're not afraid of updating a house just so long as it doesn't require a complete redo of the electric of plumbing. Putting in new kitchen cabinets, refinishing floors, etc. is fine with us.

My turn-offs in a house:
- yucky smell (or a smell of air fresheners... I'd be afraid it was hiding something)
- signs of a wet basement or mold (common problem in this area and I am TIRED of dropping thousands of dollars to waterproof a basement)
- furniture where it shouldn't be (i.e. in front of a door, blocking a throughway)... would make me think that the room isn't going to fit our furniture properly
- big doozies that need replaced like the roof, windows, furnace. It wouldn't totally turn us off but if it were between a house needing a new roof & one that didn't, we'd go with the one that didn't.

Looking at pictures, I'd focus on decluttering and modernizing what you keep, if possible. I personally think it's silly but I know a lot of people can't visualize their own belongings in a home and might get turned off by the style of your furnishings. Other big thing for me would be to work on curb appeal. Having a some so close to the street would be a deal breaker for me since I have young kids and in general I think a tiny front yard is a negative so I'd take what you have and make it look as nice as possible.
We have a large backyard with almost full view from the kitchen door on the side of the house where the kids play and a dead street back there where all the bike riding happens and sports are played. All of the homes here have little front yards or woods in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post

They were talking about the first listing they posted.

I don't' know where the post went that asked about going through the bathroom, but yes you go through the master bath to get to the master bedroom. It was an in-law suite and that's how it was set up. What I call "the linen room" was a kitchen and all the plumbing is till there so it could be set up as the bath and you could easily change the door set up since the plumbing is there. you would have to move the toilet though. The kids bathroom is upstairs with their bedrooms.

Master suite is on the first floor.

Basement is a dug basement. It is going to be moist at some points. It keeps the house nice and cool in the summer.

Last edited by pyrxtc; 02-21-2013 at 09:57 PM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #98
Bonnie40
Sweet tomatoes, yum
Has lived in Guelph all her life

I didn't mean the pictures of your house....I meant the pictures you have on the wall....

Bonnie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #99
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Tiny rooms are useless. Looks like of yours is like 5 x 9. That would be a walk in closet, not a bedroom. Maybe you can showcase it as such.

Turn offs would be musty smells and too much stuff in the house.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #100
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

What's the finished square footage?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #101
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
I didn't mean the pictures of your house....I meant the pictures you have on the wall....
I can't hang anything heavy there because directly behind that wall is the fireplace brick. I had a lot more pictures on that wall and those are up so high because kids tended to knock down the lower one's while playing since that is used as their playroom.

less furniture will happen when my DH leaves for work since he is taking the bigger stuff with him.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #102
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
Tiny rooms are useless. Looks like of yours is like 5 x 9. That would be a walk in closet, not a bedroom. Maybe you can showcase it as such.

Turn offs would be musty smells and too much stuff in the house.
Smallest bedroom is 10 x 9.8. Enought for a twin bed and bureau and room to play. We use the 5th bedroom as a sewing room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
What's the finished square footage?
Just under 2000 Square feet I believe.

Also, that photo marked "hardwood floors" the tan is the wood floors. Back in the days, if you had money than you painted all wood. bare wood meant you were poor and couldn't afford the paint. Every bit of wood in this house has been painted, except for kitchen cabinets. We bought the house from the family who built the house. Everything in this house was custom built to the house.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #103
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
I guess its a totally different world in the Northeast. Many people look for old houses here.
I guess I've watched a few too many episodes of This Old House, I look at some of those projects they do in the Northeast and just wonder why they just didn't bulldoze the house.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #104
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post

Front entry
First impressions are HUGE. The clientele you are trying to attract are those interested in an old, historic house.

I would rip up that linoleum in the front entrance and expose the wood floors.

It looks small enough to be an easy project and the first impression would be much better.

Opening the front door to a historic home and stepping onto cheap linoleum would make me want to find fault with the rest of the house.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #105
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!

I would
1. remove all the pictures from the walls and the hanging thing in the one bedroom
2. take down the wallpaper in the 2nd bedroom
3. repaint the interior rooms in a neutral color
4. remove the curtains and add simple blinds
5. remove the carpet tiles from the playroom and show off the plank floors
6. since you already have a dining room table in the kitchen, i would make the playroom back into a dining room
7. make the closet in the 2nd bedroom look more like a shelf by removing the hinges from the doors, filling the holes in and painting; painting the boards and shelves white; and adding boards for shelving so that the shelves come to the edge of the door frame
8. declutter, declutter, declutter
9. make sure potential buyers know that there is plumbing in the "linen closet" so that the master bath could be moved to that area, thus allowing a real entrance (with a nice closet to the one side of the now bathroom) to the master bedroom area--perhaps show some rough plans for doing such (I agree with other posters that having to enter the master through the bath would be a big turn off for me.)
10. spruce up the outside--remove clutter from the front yard, add some bushes or flower beds, maybe some shutters on the windows
11. paint the outside as soon as you can

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: