Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #76
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I would have to pass on the house. That is too much to do for me at my age, 48 next week.

We are going to be on the hunt for hopefully our "retirement house". So you are not marketing to people my age that is for sure. You have to capture the attention of a young family that wants a fixer upper. Your decor of the family photos has to go.

I would HIGHLY recommend painting the living room with more a "lighter neutral tone" and changing the furniture arrangement at well. You need to make that "whole room" look better somehow. Get rid of the entertainment center.

I would also take some pics in the spring and change those pictures of the outside of the house. You need to not have cars in front and the siding looks in desperate need of repair in that picture.

Is the master in the basement? If so, than that would be a deal breaker. I need the master on the first floor.

Are those your MLS pics or are those just pics you took? I would do some work and then repost different pictures as you progress forward.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #77
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Hi OP. Lots of pretty harsh comments here. This is my opinion. You are looking for a specific type of buyer, someone who wants an old house with history. You have that. I have friends and family who are into houses like yours. They fully expect a lot of work and when I have looked at these houses, they look similar to yours (with the bathrooms and kitchens usually last renovated in the 50s and 60s). Price it right, listen to your realtor, keep it neat, tidy, and odor free, and hopefully it will sell soon. Good luck!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #78
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc
I wouldn't want to be here for showing. This is how most of the rooms look. You can see colors. There are also floor plans, I know that is one thing I would love to know about a house I am buying before even looking. Some of the new houses just flow weird.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...bedsnewburyNH/

No smokers in the house and not allowed by visitors. Most windows have been replaced and all appliances and furnace and other stuff are less than 10 years old.
I'm really sorry to get off topic but I looked at your other albums and wow you must really like sewing. You have over 50 pictures of the same dress.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #79
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey

I'm really sorry to get off topic but I looked at your other albums and wow you must really like sewing. You have over 50 pictures of the same dress.
That is kind of creeperish. Do you always do that?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #80
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square

That is kind of creeperish. Do you always do that?
No, I thought maybe there were more photos of the house.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #81
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

This is definitely not what I was expecting by reading the the past explanations from the OP about this old heritage home with many rooms. I was expecting a lovely heritage home but this looks like it's had so many updates ((decades ago)) etc that any character it once had have been very sadly lost along with the curb appeal. This looks like a fixer-uper. I do think with some TLC, sanding and restaining the floor, clean fresh paint on the walls.... returning the house to the original character then the house will have more appeal.

When I hear 14 room house this isn't what I envision... one's interpretation can vary. LOL
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

Last edited by TagsMissy; 02-21-2013 at 07:38 PM.
TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #82
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey

No, I thought maybe there were more photos of the house.
Oh good!!! My boys talk about creepers so I wondered.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #83
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

This is what I think of when I think of a "well maintained" house from the 1700s. This one is near me and is even more beautiful in person.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7_M35203-55489
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #84
IheartMickey

I'm going to assume you live in Newbury, NH since that's that name of your album. This one is for sale there and although not ideal it seems to be in much better condition for the money.

$199,900 | 3 Bed 3 Bath
http://www.realtor.com/search/listin...rid=4029252901
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #85
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
This is what I think of when I think of a "well maintained" house from the 1700s. This one is near me and is even more beautiful in person.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7_M35203-55489
It's a beautiful home but not really a fair comparison. It's listing price is almost 5x what the OP intends to list her home for.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #86
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
It's a beautiful home but not really a fair comparison. It's listing price is almost 5x what the OP intends to list her home for.
That's not my point. OP thinks that the age of the home and its older features will be a selling point. My take is, those things are only a selling point if they are done with care. To me, OPs house has no 18th century qualities or charm and could just as easily have been built in 1960. If you want to market a home as being 240 years old, it should have some obvious plus signs - old plank flooring, architectural details, brick/stonework, etc. Other than the exposed timbers I'm not seeing anything like that. It's unfortunate; perhaps those qualities were once there and were renovated out?
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #87
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

DH & I absolutely love older, outdated homes. Seeing an old house with an updated bathroom and all that lovely, vintage subway tile missing makes us sad. We're not afraid of updating a house just so long as it doesn't require a complete redo of the electric of plumbing. Putting in new kitchen cabinets, refinishing floors, etc. is fine with us.

My turn-offs in a house:
- yucky smell (or a smell of air fresheners... I'd be afraid it was hiding something)
- signs of a wet basement or mold (common problem in this area and I am TIRED of dropping thousands of dollars to waterproof a basement)
- furniture where it shouldn't be (i.e. in front of a door, blocking a throughway)... would make me think that the room isn't going to fit our furniture properly
- big doozies that need replaced like the roof, windows, furnace. It wouldn't totally turn us off but if it were between a house needing a new roof & one that didn't, we'd go with the one that didn't.

Looking at pictures, I'd focus on decluttering and modernizing what you keep, if possible. I personally think it's silly but I know a lot of people can't visualize their own belongings in a home and might get turned off by the style of your furnishings. Other big thing for me would be to work on curb appeal. Having a some so close to the street would be a deal breaker for me since I have young kids and in general I think a tiny front yard is a negative so I'd take what you have and make it look as nice as possible.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: 2/15 POR

NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #88
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
I thought the OP said her house was just under $200,000. That would be comparable to the one in the link.

If the house in the link was 5x the OP's house, that would mean the OP was listing her house for $40,000. Did I miss something.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #89
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

when we were looking for houses I was always able to overlook cosmetics because I know my whole family is handy, always was looking more towards structure, age of windows, age of roof, hot water heater, furnace, if there is central air. I'd rather buy a house that I can live in and update as time goes on and I get money then a house that everything needs to be replaced within a few months of moving in.
O and odors...odors no bueno. Just declutter and keep everything neat, clean, and smelling fresh.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #90
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I thought the OP said her house was just under $200,000. That would be comparable to the one in the link.

If the house in the link was 5x the OP's house, that would mean the OP was listing her house for $40,000. Did I miss something.
The house in the link is listed for $959,000. The other link provided is a $200,000 house which some poster assumes is in the same area. We have no idea if it's in the same area as the OPs home. It's also not a historical home and IMO, is just plain ugly but that's another thread.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: