Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Saw OZ yesterday

There was a pre-screening for DVC members so we got to go view it. It was help in the building between Canada and England.
They were very strict about recording devices and if you had a phone or camera with you, you had to leave it at the door. They also searched bags and used a wand to check you person.
They showed 3 trailers prior to the movie. Monsters University, Lone Ranger and Iron Man 3. The movie was shown in 3D, so everyone got glasses. They did some trivia prior and gave away special glasses or a OZ t-shirt.

The movie itself was ok. Can't say I was over the moon about it. I think a big part was I didn't care much for James Franco as the wizard. It was interesting too how things were 'explained' that lead to the original movie. But it was fun and a cool experience all the same. Won't say anything more about the movie because I don't want to spoil anything.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
whatname
Mouseketeer

I know you don't want to give away too much of the movie but...

DD7 LOVES to Wizard of Oz and wants to see it. I know it says some scenes may be intense for young viewers. We don't allow her to watch too scary movies but she can handle some action. What is your opinion on children seeing it? Thanks!!
whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

I saw previews for this when we went to see Les Mis and wondered if it would be any good. It seemed like it would be visually stunning (all the bright colors in Oz, etc.).

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

I posted this on the DVC board but I'll add it here, too. I will say some of the visuals were gorgeous. Otherwise:

We saw the 1:00pm show Saturday and all four of us (two age 25, one age 19, one age 55) HATED it. Terrible acting - especially James Franco. Mila Kunis tried but her part as one of the wicked sisters was just awful. Poor Michelle Williams had a frozen look on her face for most if the movie, like she knew it was terrible, but what could she do about it?

We also spent a lot of time talking about the plot - just dumb for the most part - the characters, none of them very likeable - and the sidekicks! If they based it on the book they were stuck but watching James Franco try to act with an animated china doll a foot high was just creepy.

Ugh - we just hated it. So disappointing.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Don't like james Franco and was really turned off from seeing the movie because of him...Thanks for the review.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
I posted this on the DVC board but I'll add it here, too. I will say some of the visuals were gorgeous. Otherwise:

We saw the 1:00pm show Saturday and all four of us (two age 25, one age 19, one age 55) HATED it. Terrible acting - especially James Franco. Mila Kunis tried but her part as one of the wicked sisters was just awful. Poor Michelle Williams had a frozen look on her face for most if the movie, like she knew it was terrible, but what could she do about it?

We also spent a lot of time talking about the plot - just dumb for the most part - the characters, none of them very likeable - and the sidekicks! If they based it on the book they were stuck but watching James Franco try to act with an animated china doll a foot high was just creepy.

Ugh - we just hated it. So disappointing.
We were at the 4:30 showing. I would say you pretty much nailed it. I did love the scenery and costuming, but overall the acting was almost forced. I think if they had cast the wizard better (maybe Robert Downey Jr.) it would have been better. More chemistry between everyone.

There were a few parts that may frighten younger children, but hard to say not knowing the kids.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Sorry to hear that the film is so terrible. Let's face it, The Wizard of Oz is a hard act to follow or prequel. I hoped that Disney could pull it off, but I'm not too surprised they didn't.

Thanks for the reviews folks.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

We were in Epcot a few days ago and saw the set-up area for the movie. I took pictures. It was really nice.

Glad you got to go. Even if the movie was a bust I hope they still had the area decorated and such for you to take pictures. The games for the kids were really cute.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Yes, it was a lot of fun to get to be part of the sneak peek!
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review. I suspected as much. The cast was just so poorly picked. WTH were they thinking?

I don't hate Franco but to have him as "the wizard" is odd. He is just NOT a character actor.

I love Mila as well but in "The Oz"? She is another that just cannot pull it off as a character actor.

I adore Rachel Weisz but again as a character actor...no.

They just picked actors who are too "dry" for this movie. Don't know what the heck they were doing?

And they should have went younger anyway. Why would you put all those old fogey's in a Disney movie for kids?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
We were in Epcot a few days ago and saw the set-up area for the movie. I took pictures. It was really nice.

Glad you got to go. Even if the movie was a bust I hope they still had the area decorated and such for you to take pictures. The games for the kids were really cute.
That's actually for the flower and garden festival.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
That's actually for the flower and garden festival.
Even the carnival games? Don't get me wrong it is really a cool set up just doesn't scream Flower and Garden to me. I did get to see some of the topiary's that were sculpted and I really liked them and it looks like they are going to have food/drink stands also. It is definitely a different Flower and Garden this year. Bummed I missed it.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

I'm sorry to see these poor reviews. I was really hoping this would be a good one. Thank you for sharing though.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
Even the carnival games? Don't get me wrong it is really a cool set up just doesn't scream Flower and Garden to me. I did get to see some of the topiary's that were sculpted and I really liked them and it looks like they are going to have food/drink stands also. It is definitely a different Flower and Garden this year. Bummed I missed it.
Yes, because it's the Oz area.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Bummer, I was afraid that it would suck. I had myself really built up for Alice in Wonderland and I didn't love it, so I had kept my expectations for this pretty darn low. Maybe they would be more successful coming up with an original story, then there's nothing to compare it to.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: