Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
klepton
Mouseketeer

In extreme cases I have said something to other passengers, but usually it's best to avoid when possible. People in general get very defensive about their actions, and there's really no good way to go about bringing it up to them. In most cases, they know it's against the rules, they just don't think that rule should apply to them.

I've seen cases where passengers have confronted chair hogs, swim diapers in pools, smoking in designated non-smoking areas, etc. I can't think of one instance that didn't turn into an argument. My rule... assume everything will turn into a big argument. If it's a big enough issue that it's still worth it to step in, then do so. In most cases, just adjust your own plans around the issue and write it on the comment card.

In the case of a mom telling her kid to pee in the pool.... I would have said something. Those pools already get enough pee from kids who don't even ask their parents... that's just irresponsible parenting to wreck everyone else's fun because you're too lazy to take your kid to the bathroom.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ
Yes, but there's a dog stationed right outside the cell with a key ring dangling from his mouth.
You cracked me up with that one!

I went on the Fantasy earlier this month and noticed that Cm's stood near the entrances to the adult only areas on the day of embarkation. They were telling people with children that this was am adult
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

Oops..... Sorry, accidentally pressed send.

Anyway, they tried to tell people at the onset which I appreciated.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
barbja99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin' View Post
Not sure if I would have said anything to the mom, but that would have made me mad too.
I would have nicely volunteered to take the girl to the BR myself.

There are three ways that could come out: I take her, she takes her, or she says 'no, the pool is fine'. Perhaps with 3 options, she'll be less likely to choose the gross one.

Disney Wonder: Alaska, July 2013
barbja99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
ladyj0212
"Dream"ing of Disney Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Yes, but there's a dog stationed right outside the cell with a key ring dangling from his mouth.

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
"Dream" * March 4th, 2010"Wonder" * February 11th, 2006 "Magic" * February 17th, 2005 "Wonder"
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
ladyj0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
reimero
DIS Veteran

I haven't seen that much in terms of rule breaking, to be honest. The big one is kids in the adult areas, and on the cruises I've been on, that's mostly been of the "passing through the area" variety (although there was one that had parked a couple young kids there.) And at the buffets you occasionally run into people who don't get the concept of a "line." But I haven't run into much entitled behavior or otherwise really bad misbehavior.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
wildel1021
Mouseketeer

Kids in adult pool areas

Last edited by wildel1021; 02-21-2013 at 11:10 AM.
wildel1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #23
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

My only "complaint" in rule breaking is something that might contaminate food or drink areas & get people sick: kids taking food with fingers, filling up personal mugs with soda, etc... I would not hesitate to tell a CM about it for my sake & everyone's sake. If no one was around, then I would politely say something myself to them. Happy cruising!

P.S. Love the comment jdb in AZ about the dog holding the keys!!!

disneybeachprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnits View Post
I have no intention of letting someone ruin my vacation while I stand by and let someone tell their kid they can pee in the pool! After they do that I know it needs to be drained, cleaned and refilled. If I can prevent losing out pool time by golly I will do it! As I confronted her I would probably yell out to the other parents to find a CM too.
They don't drain a pool because it's been peed in. If they you would never be able to swim because the pool would always be empty. As gross as it it, if you swim in a public pool then you are swimming in pee. (What was the name of that Olympic swimmer who said he was so used to peeing in the pool that he couldn't even pee on dry land any more?)

I'm laughing out loud at the image of the dog guarding the brig.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #25
sftnslky
**May every day be filled with Magical memories**

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Yes, they have a brig.

No, they won't throw you in the brig for saving seats or having a child in the Cove. I've heard of it being used only once regarding a passenger who had physically assaulted another passenger.
Sadly on our last Magic cruise our across the isle neighbors...The husband came "home" one late evening and started SCREAMING at his wife and kids and then became VERY abusive...My hubby and several men in other cabins came out and tried to calm him down...he just slammed the cabin door shut and continued hitting his wife..the kids were screaming/crying within 2 minutes officers, security, and some REALLY big guys were dragging him out of his cabin. We never saw him again for the entire trip...which still had 4 nights left. We asked our cabin steward if they made him get off the ship, he said no he is in a holding cell down below and will be handed over to the FL police when we get back to port. It was very very sad.

sftnslky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftnslky

Sadly on our last Magic cruise our across the isle neighbors...The husband came "home" one late evening and started SCREAMING at his wife and kids and then became VERY abusive...My hubby and several men in other cabins came out and tried to calm him down...he just slammed the cabin door shut and continued hitting his wife..the kids were screaming/crying within 2 minutes officers, security, and some REALLY big guys were dragging him out of his cabin. We never saw him again for the entire trip...which still had 4 nights left. We asked our cabin steward if they made him get off the ship, he said no he is in a holding cell down below and will be handed over to the FL police when we get back to port. It was very very sad.
Wow I really feel sorry for the family. And I hate to think that that's how their vacation went. But thank you to your husband for trying to help. A lot of people would have just " looked the other way"
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

I also don't mind the kids coming into the adult are looking for their parents. As long as it's in and out I wouldn't even think of saying something to anyone.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

I think the CM's do the best that they can. I feel that part of the problem is miscommunication. There are obvious rule breakers that are just inconsiderate and gross. Really there are some people who need to revisit kindergarten and learn respect. I felt like butting in the buffet line was rude but the CM's started to tell everyone they did not need to form a line that if you wanted something and no one was in front of it go ahead. That may have been because there were not tons of people. I like the idea that they are stationing CM's outside the adult only areas because the Dream is set up is such a way that to get to Cabana's if you are on level five the best access is through the adult only areas. I didn't realize it was a problem for kids to walk through. I knew they were not supposed to stop and stay awhile.
poohbear luvs grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #29
IrenicMom
DIS Veteran

The kids in the adult areas on the Dream/Fantasy is as much the fault of the ship designers as anything, IMO.

Yes, it's up to the parents to enforce it (and seriously - why do some parents think vacation = vacation from parenting?? Ugh). I also believe many instances could have been avoided by not having elevators dump right into the middle of it. But, that's JMO.

I will say that when we were on the Fantasy last summer, I was the mom making the little ones (7 at the time) hold my hand and the 10 yo walk in front of me, quietly (but loud enough for someone to hear - yes, grumpy old man, I'm talking to YOU) "Quickly guys. Keep moving, this is for the grown ups". With forward rooms - we used the forward stairs - and we had to move through the area to get to them.

It seems that the "abuse", if you will, of the adult areas was more prevalent on the shorter 3-nt than it was on the 7-nt.

1979 - Ft. Wilderness * 1984, 1992 & 1998 - Offsite * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 & 2004 - Caribbean Beach * 2006 - Contemporary & Wilderness Lodge *
* 2007 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge * 2008 - Swan * 2009 - Dolphin * 2010 - PO Riverside * 2011 - Polynesian & Vero Beach * 2012 - Boardwalk *

DCL Sailed
Wonder 6/09, 10/10, 4/13 * Dream 4/12 * Fantasy 6/12
DCL Upcoming
Magic April 7, 2014 4-night Bahamas
Wonder June 9,2014 7-night Alaskan
IrenicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenicMom View Post
The kids in the adult areas on the Dream/Fantasy is as much the fault of the ship designers as anything, IMO.

Yes, it's up to the parents to enforce it (and seriously - why do some parents think vacation = vacation from parenting?? Ugh). I also believe many instances could have been avoided by not having elevators dump right into the middle of it. But, that's JMO.

I will say that when we were on the Fantasy last summer, I was the mom making the little ones (7 at the time) hold my hand and the 10 yo walk in front of me, quietly (but loud enough for someone to hear - yes, grumpy old man, I'm talking to YOU) "Quickly guys. Keep moving, this is for the grown ups". With forward rooms - we used the forward stairs - and we had to move through the area to get to them.

It seems that the "abuse", if you will, of the adult areas was more prevalent on the shorter 3-nt than it was on the 7-nt.
I've never sailed on the Dream, but I've read reports. Two major factors set the Fantasy apart from the Dream when it comes to adult areas. The first is that the Deck 11 adult area on the Fantasy is much more clearly labeled as an adult-only area, and seems much less like a continuation of the deck than is the case on the Dream. The second is that the adults-only area on Deck 13 on the Fantasy seemed to be respected as an adults-only area. I didn't see any kids up there. I don't think the Dream has a Deck 13 adults-only area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: