Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
TinkBell10
DIS Veteran

Rules People DON'T Follow

I'm just curious about others' experiences with approaching people who are not following rules. With such hot topics as kids in adult areas, seat saving, etc....I wonder, is it more approriate to approach the rule-breakers ourselves or ask a CM to help out?

Anyone have any interesting stories? I'm one of those non-confrontational people who tend to just let others get away with infractions. But, I'm always impressed with those who approach the rule-breakers.
06/07/15 Freedom of the Seas
PAST CRUISES:05/2001 Sovereign of the Seas | 5/22/03 Wonder | 3/20/04 Magic | 5/27/06 Magic | 6/07/07 Wonder | 4/05/08 Magic| 6/13/09 Magic | 6/12/10 Carnival Dream | 6/12/11 Dream | 11/19/11 Magic | 6/09/12 Fantasy | 06/08/13 Fantasy | 11/23/13 Liberty of the Seas | 06/07/14 Fantasy|

WDW: Too many times to count! On average--one weekend a month
TinkBell10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'm sure not going to approach a parent in the Cove and say "your kid shouldn't be in here." I don't have the authority to do so. If there were an officer in the area (apparently you can't ask the bartenders or baristas because they're not given enforcement authority either) I'd probably ask them if there should be children in there. Otherwise it's going on the comment card that better enforcement of the adult only areas is necessary.
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

I'd always find a CM. With my luck I'd say something to a parent the first afternoon who goes ballistic only to find out we're sitting next to them at dinner. No thank you. I go on the cruise to relax, not pick fights.

That being said, I'd have no problem with someone pointing out a rule that or one of my kids is breaking as long as they do it respectfully. Still, best policy is to tell someone who actually has authority and let them handle it.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
FJS961
DIS Veteran

The seat saving is the most infuriating to me. One or two seats for a few minutes while another member of party is using restroom or at concession stand is one thing but the saving of an entire row from doors opening until show time is the extreme. I've seen CMs have to enforce at times.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
TinkBell10
DIS Veteran

I've witnessed several confrontations between guests. Most are resolved quickly with no incident. But, one time there was almost a fight...

There was a cute little one (maybe 2) in the pool. She wasn't all the way potty-trained. The little girl went up to her mom and said 'pee pee'...the mom said (not so quietly) "just go in the pool." The woman sitting next to me got very angry and started lecturing the mom. The mom basically told her to mind her own business and parent her own children. They really started arguing loudly and many of the kids in the pool looked scared. Finally, someone must have reported it because one of the officers on deck came over. He asked what the problem was and then took them both to the side. They talked a few minutes and then the 'pee mom' took her child out of the pool...not sure where they went or what they did.
06/07/15 Freedom of the Seas
PAST CRUISES:05/2001 Sovereign of the Seas | 5/22/03 Wonder | 3/20/04 Magic | 5/27/06 Magic | 6/07/07 Wonder | 4/05/08 Magic| 6/13/09 Magic | 6/12/10 Carnival Dream | 6/12/11 Dream | 11/19/11 Magic | 6/09/12 Fantasy | 06/08/13 Fantasy | 11/23/13 Liberty of the Seas | 06/07/14 Fantasy|

WDW: Too many times to count! On average--one weekend a month
TinkBell10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
I'm sure not going to approach a parent in the Cove and say "your kid shouldn't be in here." I don't have the authority to do so. If there were an officer in the area (apparently you can't ask the bartenders or baristas because they're not given enforcement authority either) I'd probably ask them if there should be children in there. Otherwise it's going on the comment card that better enforcement of the adult only areas is necessary.
I'll second the comment card. I'm extremely uncomfortable even muttering about it in earshot. It's not like they don't know the rules.
And I've never seen an officer handy when I've looked.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
melglnh2o
DIS Veteran

A coworker just told me that there are jail cells on cruise ships. I guess I never really thought about it but does anyone know if this is true for DCL? Does anyone know of someone who has not followed the rules and was thrown in jail during a cruise?
melglnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Yes, they have a brig.

No, they won't throw you in the brig for saving seats or having a child in the Cove. I've heard of it being used only once regarding a passenger who had physically assaulted another passenger.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkBell10 View Post
I've witnessed several confrontations between guests. Most are resolved quickly with no incident. But, one time there was almost a fight...

There was a cute little one (maybe 2) in the pool. She wasn't all the way potty-trained. The little girl went up to her mom and said 'pee pee'...the mom said (not so quietly) "just go in the pool." The woman sitting next to me got very angry and started lecturing the mom. The mom basically told her to mind her own business and parent her own children. They really started arguing loudly and many of the kids in the pool looked scared. Finally, someone must have reported it because one of the officers on deck came over. He asked what the problem was and then took them both to the side. They talked a few minutes and then the 'pee mom' took her child out of the pool...not sure where they went or what they did.
Not sure if I would have said anything to the mom, but that would have made me mad too.
sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Yes, but there's a dog stationed right outside the cell with a key ring dangling from his mouth.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melglnh2o View Post
A coworker just told me that there are jail cells on cruise ships. I guess I never really thought about it but does anyone know if this is true for DCL? Does anyone know of someone who has not followed the rules and was thrown in jail during a cruise?
Thier more like locked rooms not cells and yes all cruise ships have them.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
nosnits
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkBell10 View Post

I would have said something as well. I have no intention of letting someone ruin my vacation while I stand by and let someone tell their kid they can pee in the pool! After they do that I know it needs to be drained, cleaned and refilled. If I can prevent losing out pool time by golly I will do it! As I confronted her I would probably yell out to the other parents to find a CM too.

That would more than likely be the only instance where I would confront someone (with the exception of child endangerment that could not wait for someone else to get there.) My thinking is, the boat is big, but not that big. Chances are good that I would run into that person again. I am there to have fun and be with my family without have someone glaring at me wherever I go because I had words with them.
nosnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Peeing in the pool, while gross to think about, is not what makes it require draining since normal healthy urine is sterile. However, kids who are told by their parents to just pee in the pool will likely do the other, which does require the sanitizing.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
The seat saving is the most infuriating to me. One or two seats for a few minutes while another member of party is using restroom or at concession stand is one thing but the saving of an entire row from doors opening until show time is the extreme. I've seen CMs have to enforce at times.
I am in complete agreement with you. Last cruise we went on deck to watch a movie. I would estimate only 30% of the chairs were actually occupied at that moment. But, we literally went up to a dozen different areas on deck and each time were told that the seats we were going to sit down were already being used (despite no belongings even on them!). We simply left, deciding it was not worth the hassle. I think next time I am going to go get a CM to walk over with us and "help" us get our seats.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Yes, they have a brig.

No, they won't throw you in the brig for saving seats or having a child in the Cove. I've heard of it being used only once regarding a passenger who had physically assaulted another passenger.
I think a brig is required?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: