Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
happygirl
DIS Veteran

13 year old boy drowns at Disney

My heart breaks for this poor family

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- A 13-year-old boy from Fordland, Mo., died on Tuesday after being pulled from a Disney resort swimming pool on Sunday evening. The Orange County Sheriff’s Department says Anthony Johnson died at a hospital in Orlando.
Anthony was swimming with his family at Disney's Pop Century Resort. The family lost sight of him and a cousin spotted him at the bottom of the pool after several minutes.

Deputies report the boy's father performed CPR until paramedics arrived. He was taken to a hospital, where he died.

T

A friend of the family told a reporter in Springfield on Wednesday morning that the Johnson family was returning to Missouri but Anthony’s body remained in Florida for an autopsy.

In a prepared statement, Disney officials said they're saddened by the child's death and reached out to his family to offer "care and assistance." The sheriff’s department says the incident in under investigation.
----

Gene Hartley, KY3/KSPR web editor, contributed to this report

----

Additional information reported by Karen Bliss, South County Mail, Rogersville, Mo.:

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office received the emergency 911 call around 9:30 p.m. Sunday. Witnesses said Johnson was playing and jumping in the water with his family members in a large pool at the resort.

Multiple guests were present at the time. Johnson was under the water for several minutes without being seen by family members, before he was spotted underwater by his cousin, who pulled him out of the water.

Johnson’s father immediately began CPR and was also assisted by another guest, and several guests called 911. Johnson was transported to a local hospital, where he died.

A spokeswoman from Walt Disney World, Marilyn Waters, said the incident was “very sad.”

“Our concern is for the young man and his family,” Waters said, before news of Johnson’s death was released. “We’ve reached out to the family to offer our assistance and support.”

Pools at Pop Century Resort are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., but lifeguards are only on duty from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Waters said. A lifeguard was not on duty at the time of this incident, according t
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
My heart breaks for this poor family

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- A 13-year-old boy from Fordland, Mo., died on Tuesday after being pulled from a Disney resort swimming pool on Sunday evening. The Orange County Sheriff’s Department says Anthony Johnson died at a hospital in Orlando.
Anthony was swimming with his family at Disney's Pop Century Resort. The family lost sight of him and a cousin spotted him at the bottom of the pool after several minutes.

Deputies report the boy's father performed CPR until paramedics arrived. He was taken to a hospital, where he died.

T

A friend of the family told a reporter in Springfield on Wednesday morning that the Johnson family was returning to Missouri but Anthony’s body remained in Florida for an autopsy.

In a prepared statement, Disney officials said they're saddened by the child's death and reached out to his family to offer "care and assistance." The sheriff’s department says the incident in under investigation.
----

Gene Hartley, KY3/KSPR web editor, contributed to this report

----

Additional information reported by Karen Bliss, South County Mail, Rogersville, Mo.:

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office received the emergency 911 call around 9:30 p.m. Sunday. Witnesses said Johnson was playing and jumping in the water with his family members in a large pool at the resort.

Multiple guests were present at the time. Johnson was under the water for several minutes without being seen by family members, before he was spotted underwater by his cousin, who pulled him out of the water.

Johnson’s father immediately began CPR and was also assisted by another guest, and several guests called 911. Johnson was transported to a local hospital, where he died.

A spokeswoman from Walt Disney World, Marilyn Waters, said the incident was “very sad.”

“Our concern is for the young man and his family,” Waters said, before news of Johnson’s death was released. “We’ve reached out to the family to offer our assistance and support.”

Pools at Pop Century Resort are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., but lifeguards are only on duty from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Waters said. A lifeguard was not on duty at the time of this incident, according t
Very sad.
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

So very sorry for this family.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Fordland is a very small town, hopefully the family will get the support they need from the community.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post

Fordland is a very small town, hopefully the family will get the support they need from the community.
It's a very small town. About 30 min from here.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
7165red
DIS Veteran

OMG, that is so sad. God help the family.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
disykat
DIS Veteran

I was in a hotel pool once where a drowning almost happened less than two feet away from me. It was a very hot night and my dad and I were standing in the pool, at the edge looking towards the building, when we were startled by someone yelling and diving into the water literally right behind us.

A kid had gone under and was laying down there and we didn't even know it. There were quite a few people in the pool. We felt terrible, but we were just there minding our own business and it hadn't occurred to us to be on guard for the safety of others.

I no longer relax in a pool if there's anyone else in the water. Scary. Many prayers for that family.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

How tragic. God help them.

Me DM DF DSis DB

Last edited by LongLiveDisney; 03-13-2013 at 01:02 PM.
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I honestly cant imagine. I just cant. You go to disney to have a good time, and then something like this happens. Oh my goodness, its heartbreaking.

The poor brother was heard saying "he's my only brother, please save him". So sad.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I honestly cant imagine. I just cant. You go to disney to have a good time, and then something like this happens. Oh my goodness, its heartbreaking.

The poor brother was heard saying "he's my only brother, please save him". So sad.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Several of us have been following this story from almost the minute it happened. Very tragic...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post47761111
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
A kid had gone under and was laying down there and we didn't even know it. There were quite a few people in the pool. We felt terrible, but we were just there minding our own business and it hadn't occurred to us to be on guard for the safety of others.

I no longer relax in a pool if there's anyone else in the water. Scary. Many prayers for that family.

Most people don't realize that a drowning is actually a very quiet event. Most think that one screams but they don't.

Very tragic for the family.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
kim929
DIS Veteran

How tragic. Prayers for the family and the other families that witnessed it.
kim929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
chris1gill

But you know I'm thinking (scary enough)

Are there lifeguards at that pool?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1gill View Post
Are there lifeguards at that pool?
From the article in the OP:

Pools at Pop Century Resort are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., but lifeguards are only on duty from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Waters said. A lifeguard was not on duty at the time of this incident

I remember that from visiting Disney-there are no lifeguards on duty at night. It was clearly posted. I wonder what the rationale is for leaving the pools open but unguarded? Before anyone flames me, I am not blaming Disney but wondering why they do that.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: