Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #76
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg
 
punkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Have lived in the South most of my life and no one I know or knew has ever used corn syrup to make sweet tea. All I can think of is Karo syrup in tea which is making me queasy. They've only used granulated sugar.

When I need a sweet tea fix, I go to McDonald's and get a large sweet tea with no ice. It will last the day because it's so large. Each restaurant's tea is a little different. Some needs water to cut the sweetness. Luckily for me, the McD closest has tea that is perfectly suited to my taste. Their sweet tea is the only fast food item I'll consume.
Simple syrup is ordinary table sugar and water cooked together, not Karo or maple.
__________________
“You don’t want coon dogs chasing squirrels!” Justice Antonin Scalia.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #77
Robbi
DIS Veteran
 
Robbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Simple syrup is ordinary table sugar and water cooked together, not Karo or maple.
A previous poster said a restaurant made sweet tea using corn syrup. I know what simple syrup is because I make it for my Mint Juleps.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #78
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 18,793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Have lived in the South most of my life and no one I know or knew has ever used corn syrup to make sweet tea. All I can think of is Karo syrup in tea which is making me queasy. They've only used granulated sugar.
.
My wife grew up in the south, and they use KARO for EVERYTHING. Not honey glazed ham, Karo glazed ham. I think that may be because the humidity made granulated sugar almost useless.
Oh, and I grew up with my mom using Karo in Christmas candies, and we pronunced it "carrow".........where my wife is from, they pronounce it 'KAY-ROW", and you have to raise your voice a little when you say Karo out of respect for this southern version of holy water.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #79
dansamy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy

My wife grew up in the south, and they use KARO for EVERYTHING. Not honey glazed ham, Karo glazed ham. I think that may be because the humidity made granulated sugar almost useless.
Oh, and I grew up with my mom using Karo in Christmas candies, and we pronunced it "carrow".........where my wife is from, they pronounce it 'KAY-ROW", and you have to raise your voice a little when you say Karo out of respect for this southern version of holy water.
Got to be a regional difference because here along the Gulf Coast, it's honey (or brown sugar) glazed ham & sugar in our tea. Karo is for constipated babies!
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #80
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,855

The only thing i have ever used karo for here in my part of the deep south is pecan pie
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #81
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes
 
branv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 3,670

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
The only thing i have ever used karo for here in my part of the deep south is pecan pie
And divinity : NEVER heard of anyone using it as a glaze
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #82
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Got to be a regional difference because here along the Gulf Coast, it's honey (or brown sugar) glazed ham & sugar in our tea. Karo is for constipated babies!
Doctor approved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
The only thing i have ever used karo for here in my part of the deep south is pecan pie
Pecan pie. Love it! (off the stuff at least for now)
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #83
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg
 
punkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Got to be a regional difference because here along the Gulf Coast, it's honey (or brown sugar) glazed ham & sugar in our tea. Karo is for constipated babies!
OMG! So true....and it works.
__________________
“You don’t want coon dogs chasing squirrels!” Justice Antonin Scalia.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #84
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,148

Very little Karo syrup in this family (Mississippi and Louisiana). And the women in my family would faint if I even mentioned to make sweet tea with it. We only use sugar (not simple syrup) and make it essentially the same as the majority of the other posters.
__________________
Me , DH , DS 3 , and DS 3
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #85
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 18,793

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Karo is for constipated babies!
New use to me, however, according to the Mayo clinic, it doesn't work.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kar...pation/AN01826
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #86
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv

And divinity : NEVER heard of anyone using it as a glaze
Oh yeah forgot about divinity. yummy !!!!
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #87
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor
 
WDWBarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy

New use to me, however, according to the Mayo clinic, it doesn't work.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kar...pation/AN01826
Had a doctor tell me to use it when my kiddo was young. It either worked or there was some ironic timing.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #88
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Got to be a regional difference because here along the Gulf Coast, it's honey (or brown sugar) glazed ham & sugar in our tea. Karo is for constipated babies!
Yep, right on for our part of the country (deep south LA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
The only thing i have ever used karo for here in my part of the deep south is pecan pie


Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post
And divinity : NEVER heard of anyone using it as a glaze


Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
New use to me, however, according to the Mayo clinic, it doesn't work.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kar...pation/AN01826
It was good enough, and worked for my grammy, my mommy, and for me LOL That was always the advice we got for babies.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #89
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
Had a doctor tell me to use it when my kiddo was young. It either worked or there was some ironic timing.
Same here.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #90
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...
wonder what the punishment would be for excessive burping
 
sandramaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
New use to me, however, according to the Mayo clinic, it doesn't work.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kar...pation/AN01826
Raised three kids--oh, it works!!!!!
sandramaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.