Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
virgilatmit
Mouseketeer

There are four of us, and we booked a flight on united from ONT to IAH for $380 per person. I've been watching the same flight weekly since I booked it in January (we leave next week), and the lowest I saw the same flight dip was $310. However, that's for individual seats; can't get that deal when I put in the 4 people in our party. You might want to try booking individually, or at least in pairs, if you don't mind sitting separately.
virgilatmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjcarlin
Southwest Airlines is probably going to be the cheapest you can find. I checked everyday and finally booked a flight for less than 1000 for 4 of us out of Houston.
You are probably right. Was trying to avoid changing planes though. Will keep looking.

I've been looking at this for several months and keep getting the same results. Way cheaper to just fly to FL but I like the itinerary and the fact that its a classic ship.
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
TheReeders
Earning My Ears

If you are using the Disney transportation shuttle, you'll want to fly into IAH and southwest doesn't fly into that airport. Disney transportation won't be shuttling to Hobby at that time anymore. So I think the cheapest is Spirit right now. Try pricing through that airline. I think you'll be surprised!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
TheReeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReeders
If you are using the Disney transportation shuttle, you'll want to fly into IAH and southwest doesn't fly into that airport. Disney transportation won't be shuttling to Hobby at that time anymore. So I think the cheapest is Spirit right now. Try pricing through that airline. I think you'll be surprised!

I have a question about Spirit. What's the $9 Fare thing about? If I pay $50 for a year will all of my fares only be $9?

They were cheap but for flight times that were challenging. The cheap one got us in at 4am.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
TheReeders
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

I have a question about Spirit. What's the $9 Fare thing about? If I pay $50 for a year will all of my fares only be $9?

They were cheap but for flight times that were challenging. The cheap one got us in at 4am.
I'm not part of the fare club. I think that if you're part of it, you get discounts and other benefits. They have info on it on their site about it. I don't fly enough to use it.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReeders

I'm not part of the fare club. I think that if you're part of it, you get discounts and other benefits. They have info on it on their site about it. I don't fly enough to use it.

It was weird but I couldn't access any info about it on their site. They offered me a $9 fare but only if I signed up. I couldn't tell if that was a guarantee for the current fare or a possibility for future fares.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

It is crazy. I ended up booking Delta (who I really do not like). We usually fly Jet Blue but into Houston it was 600/pp. Southwest was the same. We checked flying out of BOS, MHT, and PWM. I looked into flying into HOU and IAH. I watched everyday. We are flying PWM to IAH in, HOU to PWM back (Both have lay-overs. Detroit down, Atlanta back). I ended up paying $408 a person x6 They had that price for an hour and then it was gone and I am flying in and out of two different ports, but I will take it for the savings. Even though it is still ridiculous! We are flying into LAX in Aug from PWM for less than it is costing us to go to HOU! Good luck.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

I live in the Houston area (Kemah) and the price to fly anywhere from here makes me sick. I refuse to do it. I've ditched a Pacific Coast cruise and 2 trips to DL because I won't pay pay the crazy amounts to fly places from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReeders View Post
I'm flying from Vegas to Houston in October and its close to $500 for 2 of us round trip and its always more expensive to fly out of Vegas than it is to fly in. I found that rate from Spirit Airlines going into IAH

I found Spirit Airlines recently and am impressed by their rates. Their fees, however, scare the crap out of me. Pay $30 for carryon luggage? Checked bag parameters are kinda iffy. 40 lb. max weight??? I thought most airlines did 50 lbs. Also, watch those measurements. Seems like Spirit makes their $$ on their many fees. For this reason, I'm leery of booking with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Just be glad you don't live here. We have to fly anywhere, it's out of Houston and super expensive.
I know, right??? It's so messed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana~n~Joseph View Post
I live here and I don't know what the problem is but it's out of control. Flights are sooo expensive!! Right now the cheapest flight from Houston to Orlando is RT $420....it's a two hour flight! That's crazy to me! Long are the days when I could fly to Orlando RT for $180!
It makes no stinkin' sense either! Hobby is a SWA hub! Why the heck do we pay MORE to fly places from their HUB?!?! IAH was Continental's main hub and is still acting as one for United! WTH?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjcarlin View Post
Southwest Airlines is probably going to be the cheapest you can find. I checked everyday and finally booked a flight for less than 1000 for 4 of us out of Houston.
Ooooh...do tell...how far out did you book that????

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post

Again, watch Spirit with their myriad of fees. They really make me nervous. I told hubby we could fly them if we could figure out how to pack every change of clothes we were taking on our bodies.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Arkum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

It was weird but I couldn't access any info about it on their site. They offered me a $9 fare but only if I signed up. I couldn't tell if that was a guarantee for the current fare or a possibility for future fares.
No it's not $9 fares. It's a program that they will send you info on reduced fares but they're not $9! It saves money on paying for baggage as well. Be careful if flying on spirit that you are aware of their baggage policy. You pay for ALL baggage, including $35 for a carry on.
Arkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
TheReeders
Earning My Ears

I found Spirit Airlines recently and am impressed by their rates. Their fees, however, scare the crap out of me. Pay $30 for carryon luggage? Checked bag parameters are kinda iffy. 40 lb. max weight??? I thought most airlines did 50 lbs. Also, watch those measurements. Seems like Spirit makes their $$ on their many fees. For this reason, I'm leery of booking with them.

Yes, I'm very aware of their luggage fees. In fact they aren't the only ones that charge for luggage so this is nothing new for me. Even with our luggage, it's still less than $500 rt for means my DH from Vegas to Houston

Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #26
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I am running into the same problem out of Fresno. Dallas has always been about $450 for the last 10 years. My brother lives in Houston and has told me to not only look for round trip but one way flights. some of the time it is cheaper to book two one way flights.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick
I am running into the same problem out of Fresno. Dallas has always been about $450 for the last 10 years. My brother lives in Houston and has told me to not only look for round trip but one way flights. some of the time it is cheaper to book two one way flights.
Oh I'm going to try that! Thank you!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #28
KappaSigHero
Mouseketeer

I've been a "lurker" while researching what I need to know for my upcoming cruise (by the way, thanks everybody!) but felt compelled to register after seeing Spirit mentioned.

I would advise being really skeptical about Spirit Air. The cost may be attractive, but the experience isn't.

They keep costs low because they charge for everything that they consider a "luxury". This includes snacks, drinks, the better seats, and as mentioned, baggage. While most airlines are now charging for bagging, spirit is charging a higher price ($35 vs $25) for less weight (40 lbs vs 50 lbs). You may not think that ten pounds is much, but you will when your bag comes in at 42 pounds and you have to choose between disposing of luggage and paying an extra $25. Also, while other airlines permit free carry-ons, Spirit will charge you for anything you carry on that is larger than a purse. They're very strict about bag weights and bag measurements.

Another issue is that because they don't have as many flights, you have less flexibility if there's a change. Last year, I was flying from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach, where we had rented a family beach house from Saturday to Saturday. We booked flights that left on Saturday morning, and returned the following Saturday afternoon. O ER the next few months, we received several emails about flight time changes, usually changing either flight an hour or two back or forth. Then, just a month before our trip, we received an email that our flights would now both be on Fridays. There was no option to change because they only flee two planes a week in that direction. We had to book hotel rooms for the night before our house opened, and ended up losing a day at the house at the end.

Spirit is notorious for bad customer service- just Google them for evidence. Their CEO has stated that he doesn't care about bad reviews, as people will always buy his cheap tickets.

Anyways, off of my soapbox. I promise to post more
KappaSigHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaSigHero
I've been a "lurker" while researching what I need to know for my upcoming cruise (by the way, thanks everybody!) but felt compelled to register after seeing Spirit mentioned.

I would advise being really skeptical about Spirit Air. The cost may be attractive, but the experience isn't.

They keep costs low because they charge for everything that they consider a "luxury". This includes snacks, drinks, the better seats, and as mentioned, baggage. While most airlines are now charging for bagging, spirit is charging a higher price ($35 vs $25) for less weight (40 lbs vs 50 lbs). You may not think that ten pounds is much, but you will when your bag comes in at 42 pounds and you have to choose between disposing of luggage and paying an extra $25. Also, while other airlines permit free carry-ons, Spirit will charge you for anything you carry on that is larger than a purse. They're very strict about bag weights and bag measurements.

Another issue is that because they don't have as many flights, you have less flexibility if there's a change. Last year, I was flying from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach, where we had rented a family beach house from Saturday to Saturday. We booked flights that left on Saturday morning, and returned the following Saturday afternoon. O ER the next few months, we received several emails about flight time changes, usually changing either flight an hour or two back or forth. Then, just a month before our trip, we received an email that our flights would now both be on Fridays. There was no option to change because they only flee two planes a week in that direction. We had to book hotel rooms for the night before our house opened, and ended up losing a day at the house at the end.

Spirit is notorious for bad customer service- just Google them for evidence. Their CEO has stated that he doesn't care about bad reviews, as people will always buy his cheap tickets.

Anyways, off of my soapbox. I promise to post more
I didn't realize some airlines charge for carryons. I carry on to avoid baggage fees. I don't they will work anyway. Their only flight leaves at 11:40pm and gets in at 4 something am. Then the return doesn't leave until after 9pm. That just won't work. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for all of the info!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
FortCanadaGirl
Earning My Ears

We recently did the 6 night Galveston cruise in January--and we flew out of Buffalo at extremely reasonable rates ($274 round trip). The flights were not direct and so my advice is to book via Buffalo if you can! Not practical really for everyone (or many of you)--it sucks that all other cities are so expensive. I guess no one wants to come to Buffalo--but to get to Houston it was great!

Also, re: transportation to the port, we flew into IAH and rented a school bus with a few other families. The cost per person was 1/3 of what Disney was charging. It would take some organization, but school bus companies are very available/eager for extra jobs from what I understand, and their service was really good.
FortCanadaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: