Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Houston airfare...

We live in the Los Angeles area and every time I look up airfare to Houston it's so expensive. Do other people find cheaper airfare to Houston or is flying to Houston from the West coast just high? Right now for September it's $400-500 per person. It costs that much to fly to Florida and it's not even as far. I'd like to take a cruise out of Galveston in September. The cruise itself is reasonable but the airfare is not. I have another more expensive DCL cruise a few months later so I was hoping not to have to spend too much on this one. Any tips on finding less expensive airfare to Houston? Does the fare drop the closer you get to your departure date?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Airfare to Houston is always outrageous, even from here around D.C. All three airports.
You have to set airfare watches on websites, and monitor daily for sales. And rarely do the sales include 4 to 6 passengers.
Perhaps on SW from BWI, but ....

Only once were we able to secure a deal to Houston, IAH.

Lowest fare lately for us RT $ 360 min. YMMV
Best non stops, $ 425.
What is happening in Houston? Perhaps we need to move there?

fwiw, we try to use DCA.

I suppose that may sound like a bargain from what I've read from the west coast. I wasn't complaining, We try use miles so .... we are screwed soon.

Last edited by Bear3412; 02-21-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
TheReeders
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
We live in the Los Angeles area and every time I look up airfare to Houston it's so expensive. Do other people find cheaper airfare to Houston or is flying to Houston from the West coast just high? Right now for September it's $400-500 per person. It costs that much to fly to Florida and it's not even as far. I'd like to take a cruise out of Galveston in September. The cruise itself is reasonable but the airfare is not. I have another more expensive DCL cruise a few months later so I was hoping not to have to spend too much on this one. Any tips on finding less expensive airfare to Houston? Does the fare drop the closer you get to your departure date?
I'm flying from Vegas to Houston in October and its close to $500 for 2 of us round trip and its always more expensive to fly out of Vegas than it is to fly in. I found that rate from Spirit Airlines going into IAH

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
TheReeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

Try looking at Dallas (4 hours), San Antonio (3 hours) or Austin (3 hours). We have a big family and if I can save $100 RT per person, I'm willing to drive a couple of hours at the beginning or the end of a long trip. I'm guessing you'll find a cheaper flight to DFW.
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Just be glad you don't live here. We have to fly anywhere, it's out of Houston and super expensive.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseKjus
Try looking at Dallas (4 hours), San Antonio (3 hours) or Austin (3 hours). We have a big family and if I can save $100 RT per person, I'm willing to drive a couple of hours at the beginning or the end of a long trip. I'm guessing you'll find a cheaper flight to DFW.
I don't think there's DCL transport from there though so I'd have to rent a car. That adds expense and honestly, driving 2 hours after flying and dealing with a time change with a small kid who hates long car rides is not appealing. Thanks though!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher
Just be glad you don't live here. We have to fly anywhere, it's out of Houston and super expensive.
Why is that you think?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

Like someone else said, I signed up for travelocity fare watcher and I get emails all the time with specials. I fly to LA usually for only 250
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbypee
Like someone else said, I signed up for travelocity fare watcher and I get emails all the time with specials. I fly to LA usually for only 250
Do those tend to come out close to the departure date and potentially after the cruise PIF date (75 days out)?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

I live here and I don't know what the problem is but it's out of control. Flights are sooo expensive!! Right now the cheapest flight from Houston to Orlando is RT $420....it's a two hour flight! That's crazy to me! Long are the days when I could fly to Orlando RT for $180!

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; November 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; January 2016 - Disney Magic
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post

. . . Right now for September it's $400-500 per person.
Sadly, that's the going rate for L.A.-Houston.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73
Sadly, that's the going rate for L.A.-Houston.

Woody
Bummer. Well that's the reality then. I will continue to ponder this. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Hmm... I would keep looking at airfare. We are flying non stop from Seattle to IAH for $275 round trip at the end of April on Alaska. The plan I use for buying airfare (we vacation a lot) is look about the 3 month mark out and book your flight on a Wednesday after the airfare price changes are loaded...
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

Do those tend to come out close to the departure date and potentially after the cruise PIF date (75 days out)?
Oh those are just flights anytime randomly when I visit friends out there-sorry I don't know about them around cruise dates :/
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
ajjcarlin
Earning My Ears

Southwest Airlines is probably going to be the cheapest you can find. I checked everyday and finally booked a flight for less than 1000 for 4 of us out of Houston.
ajjcarlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: