Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Calling all DIS doctors

I'm baffled. DD17, who has always had stomach issues has been sick. Started with diarrhea (sp?) on Sunday and was complaining about the pain in her stomach. Monday she was okay but it started up again when she had pizza at color guard practice. Was up off and on all night last night so I let her stay home today. She ate lightly all day and was okay. This evening she had two chocolate chip waffles (frozen). Then she started crying and complaining about her head hurting. Then she vomited. Now she's back in bed and her head still hurts but not as much. Since the vomiting didn't start until day 3, I'm confused as to what it could be. Could it be stomach bug?

As background DD takes bc pills for severe cramping, vomiting, etc. As of this month, because the symptoms were starting to come back, the gyno told her to start taking them continuously so as to avoid her period. DD has been spotting the past few days along with the stomach issues. Could it be this? No diagnosis of PCOS but we're thinking that might be the issue in which case gyno said this is the treatment and there is nothing more we can do. Could it just be her system getting used to the constant bc pills?

I have an appointment scheduled for Friday w/a pediatric gastro but even that won't help unless he does some testing, which will have to be scheduled. Should I take her to her pediatrician tomorrow? I'm so confused! If it was constant vomiting, diarrhea, etc. I'd stay stomach bug, but it's been 3 days.

And yes I know I shouldn't be turning to the internet for advice but I'm really at a loss and don't know what to do to help her. She's not screaming in agony so I don't think it's gall bladder or anything like that.

Anyone had anything similar recently? thanks.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Maybe but has she ever been tested for Celiac?

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
PrincessKsMom

I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

No she hasn't. I was thinking that too, but she had dry cereal this morning and was fine, then some salad with dressing and was fine. She didn't get sick until the waffles/headache. Not sure which one caused her to get sick -- the waffles or the headache. I thought I'd ask the gasto about this when we go on Friday. Assuming he will want to do an endoscopy.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

See the gastro and let him determine what testing she needs. My daughter had similar symptoms (stomach pain, diarrhea, etc.) and was diagnosed with Chrone's.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
PrincessKsMom

Thanks M5ward. Hope your daughter is well.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

Thanks, Princess, she is. She has taken several meds over the past several years but has only had a couple of minor flares (knock wood).

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
MINNEMUMMUM
MINNEMUMMUM

Could she possibly have IBS? My daughter was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago. She knows how to control it, by eating something small every couple of hours.
The headaches could be a symptom from the BC pills.
Your doctors will find out what's going on.
Hope she feels better. And you too!
MINNEMUMMUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ward View Post
Thanks, Princess, she is. She has taken several meds over the past several years but has only had a couple of minor flares (knock wood).
That's great news. So glad she's doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINNEMUMMUM View Post
Could she possibly have IBS? My daughter was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago. She knows how to control it, by eating something small every couple of hours.
The headaches could be a symptom from the BC pills.
Your doctors will find out what's going on.
Hope she feels better. And you too!
Thank you for sharing your experience and for your kind wishes.

I hate that I can't get an answer NOW.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Definitely see the gastro and see what they say. But you might want to Google "FODMAP" and see if anything you read about that sounds like her. I have struggled with IBS for years and finally found out about this over the summer and it has been life changing. After years of not understanding why a food would be fine one day but make me sick the next day and not being able to identify "trigger" foods it finally all made sense and it is very easy for me to control now. Research is being done in other countries that shows that for a lot of IBS sufferers this is the reason. It is complicated to explain but there are some great websites and blogs that do a great job of helping you understand. This one has some great resources: http://www.ibsfree.net/

Good luck. We sure hate to see our kids suffering.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
PrincessKsMom

Thank you Love! Will definitely read up on it.

Sorry to hear so many are affected by such painful and life altering diseases. Wishing you all comfort and health.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

My first thought was Celiac too. Salad and dressings (unless they have croutons) are gluten free. The cereal is less likely to have been but could have been.

Good luck with your daughter!

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
leebee
DIS Veteran

Cereal? If it was a corn or rice cereal (like chex or krispies) then they wouldn't contain gluten. Gluten is a protein that is formed from the interaction of two other proteins found in WHEAT... no gluten in corn or rice.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

My daughter was having what seemed to be stomach issues when she was 17 and it turned out to be her gallbladder. She had to have it removed. I was surprised at such a young age but I guess not super uncommon. The surgeon said his youngest patient for that was only 12. It really solved her problems, that was about a year and a half ago. She does eat more healthfully since and has even lost weight.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
PrincessKsMom

Good morning. DD got some sleep last night and decided to go to school today. Hopefully it will be an uneventful day and she will start to feel better. Hoping the gastro can give us some idea of what's going on and provide her with some relief.

DD has always had stomach issues. She had an endoscopy at 5. Found out later she was having stomach aches and vomiting from being bullied. When she runs a fever she ALWAYS vomits. Menstruating has caused major stomach issues. When she's nervous it's her stomach. It's just always been a lifelong thing for her. Hoping gastro does/doesn't find something. I mean, who wants there to be something wrong with their child? But at the same time, I'd love to be able to help her and see her stop having these issues.

So thanks again everyone for taking the time to post/diagnose . I'll come back and post again after we see the doctor on Friday.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
No she hasn't. I was thinking that too, but she had dry cereal this morning and was fine, then some salad with dressing and was fine. She didn't get sick until the waffles/headache. Not sure which one caused her to get sick -- the waffles or the headache. I thought I'd ask the gasto about this when we go on Friday. Assuming he will want to do an endoscopy.
I just want to give my experience with the vomitting/headache. I suffer from migraines and they can definitely make me vomit. Maybe this is all connected to something other than the food?

When I was that age I used to vomit and faint. Turned out I had vertigo/tinnitus (sp?), along with being anemic. Once we got those symptoms under control it stopped. One thing was being placed on a low salt diet which virtually eliminated the processed foods.

Good luck. I know it can't be easy.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: