Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #91
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
The OP said that her dh *dropped* them off with the luggage, then had to leave to park the car. She said they put the luggage *off to the side* then she went to find a bathroom. Sounds like they were still all *outside* to me.

Gate agents (security) are OUTSIDE, not inside. That indeed would have been a *dangerous* place to have left them. The *gate* security would have been in their rights to investigate the situation.

The story then changed - The OP said she was near a bathroom *inside*. I really can't see airport security (indoor) even noticing a brief situation like the OP is now describing, unless the children were causing a scene big time.

The story is *not* adding up
Gate agents are not security, nor do they work outside. Gate agents are the people that work at the boarding gate.

Ticketing agents work at the check-in counters and can also work at the gates.

The people outside are the skycaps checking luggage.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #92
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

I'm curious about why the gate agent even noticed the kids and luggage. The original post does make it sound like the agent was overly harsh but it also sounds like the original poster was overly sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Btw, the other poster did not say kids are left in the Reno airport alone to go gambling, she said it happens in Reno which could be anywhere. Doubtful it's the airport.
I haven't been to Reno in many years and I don't remember the airport at all, but I go to Las Vegas frequently. Last time I was there, I saw several children left alone in the airport while their parents were gambling at the machines. I only noticed because I saw their unattended luggage first, which was taking up multiple seats when almost all the seat were full. Then I noticed the kids wandering back to the bags, then over to the window for a while, then off somewhere else. Someone easily could have walked off with the bags because the kids weren't paying any attention to them at all. I finally figured out where the parents were when one came back and got a bottle of water out of a bag and then went back to a bank of machines.

Maybe the Reno airport doesn't have machines like the Vegas one does, but if it does then I imagine some parents probably do leave their kids unattended there to gamble as well.
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #93
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
I'm curious about why the gate agent even noticed the kids and luggage. The original post does make it sound like the agent was overly harsh but it also sounds like the original poster was overly sensitive.

I haven't been to Reno in many years and I don't remember the airport at all, but I go to Las Vegas frequently. Last time I was there, I saw several children left alone in the airport while their parents were gambling at the machines. I only noticed because I saw their unattended luggage first, which was taking up multiple seats when almost all the seat were full. Then I noticed the kids wandering back to the bags, then over to the window for a while, then off somewhere else. Someone easily could have walked off with the bags because the kids weren't paying any attention to them at all. I finally figured out where the parents were when one came back and got a bottle of water out of a bag and then went back to a bank of machines.

Maybe the Reno airport doesn't have machines like the Vegas one does, but if it does then I imagine some parents probably do leave their kids unattended there to gamble as well.
Reno does have a gaming area - several out at the gates and a main area in the center of the airport.

I know they recently remodeled the ticketing area but unless they added additional restrooms, the closest restrooms are towards baggage claim and no where near the SWA counter. The SWA counter is at the far south of the ticketing area and the restrooms are at the opposite end - Like I said, they remodeled in the past 1.5 years and may have added restrooms.

Unattended luggage is a huge issue in any airport and is closely monitored. I don't understand why the SWA person reacted the way they did, especially after being told the Mom was in the restroom that by the OP's account was just steps away. None of this actually makes much sense to me, I am puzzled over the whole scenario
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #94
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
No kidding. I babysat newborns at that age. Surely, a 14 year old can be left alone briefly in a public place. Many of them fly across the US (and some even globally) at that age unaccompanied.
No kidding! DD flew cross country in the US at 12 and from Germany to Houston with a connection at 14. DS flew from Germany to London alone at 12. Now I would not do that with kids who have not travelled a lot to know the ins and outs, but not letting a neuro typical 14 year old alone for a few minutes while mom is in the bathroom is seriously overprotective

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #95
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Reno does have a gaming area - several out at the gates and a main area in the center of the airport.

I know they recently remodeled the ticketing area but unless they added additional restrooms, the closest restrooms are towards baggage claim and no where near the SWA counter. The SWA counter is at the far south of the ticketing area and the restrooms are at the opposite end - Like I said, they remodeled in the past 1.5 years and may have added restrooms.

Unattended luggage is a huge issue in any airport and is closely monitored. I don't understand why the SWA person reacted the way they did, especially after being told the Mom was in the restroom that by the OP's account was just steps away. None of this actually makes much sense to me, I am puzzled over the whole scenario
There is a restroom just inside the main entrance to the airport. the "main" entrance is approximately in the center of the building. Baggage claim on the left. Check in on the right.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #96
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
There is a restroom just inside the main entrance to the airport. the "main" entrance is approximately in the center of the building. Baggage claim on the left. Check in on the right.
Thanks, so the layout has not changed in regards to the restrooms. The SWA ticket counter where the SWA rep would have been is clear at the other end away from the bathroom (is that still correct?).
I am not sure how Mom parked the kids & luggage right outside the restroom but yet in front of the SWA counter
Thanks AidensMom
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #97
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Oops, double post
Thanks AidensMom
Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #98
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

By 11 I was flying solo and getting my own baggage. By 12 I got my mom's too because her bad back made it hard for her to lift things.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #99
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

I question whether we were told the whole story. The possibilities are 1) the gate agent is overzealous because parents leave their kids to go gaming at the airport, 2) Op and her dh were both gone for a long time (how long can it take to park a car at Reno and walk into the airport? 5 minutes? 10 minutes max?), and/or 3) the children were not up to the task of being left alone.

I wonder if the children were left within earshot of the gate agent. Were the kids discussing where are mom and dad? Did one of the kids approach the gate agent about mom and dad being MIA? I could see a concerned gate agent trying to help. (and I can see the kids not telling mom exactly what transpired in her absence). I don't see the average gate agent (and please no flames, gate agents of the world) being concerned from a distance about some elementary age kids and luggage waiting quietly for their parents. I have been in 4 airports of varying size in the past week across the country, and I'm having difficulty seeing the original posted scenario occurring in any of them.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #100
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
I agree. She was doing her job and looking out for your kids. Sorry that you felt humiliated and embarrassed, but looking back, I think I'd feel grateful that someone was concerned about the other girls.

Why would you ask your oldest child if you did anything wrong? I didn't put much faith in what my pre-teen kids thought. My husband's opinion matters more to me than what an 11-year old thought.
OP didn't ask if she had done something wrong, she asked her oldest DD if she and her siblings had done something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfans95 View Post
you cried? why would you cry?

holy stuff batman, stand up for yourself.. Why would you let some ticket agent bully you?

You are not going to get hauled off to some gov't torture chamber because you did the right thing..

Get the big girl panties on and stnad your ground..

Don't cry..
Really? Let me tell you, I can have my "big girl panties" on and be yelling right back at someone and at the same time bawling my eyes out. Why? Because it's how my body reacts when I get pissed, and in that situation I would have been pissed beyond belief that no one had looked in the bathroom to see if I was actually in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
Based on the OPs super-sensitivity (stood there and cried, sat there humiliated and shaking), I'm not so sure the gate agent was as loud and irate as the OP made it sound. And I think the worst thing the girls witnessed was their mother not being able to stand up for herself, not that she got reprimanded by a gate agent. They learned that when something like that happens, the reaction to have is to cry and be humiliated instead of sticking up for yourself.
You can't say that's what they learned, no one will know that until it happens to them. She tried to explain the situation and the gate agent threatened to call security, she didn't want a conflict so she didn't fight back, yes she cried, because she was upset, I would have cried too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
Just got back from a trip to Reno with my family and I am having a hard time getting over what happened at the airport. It was about 9pm and the airport was practically empty. As we unloaded the suitcases from the car and into the airport, my dd (2) pooped in her pants. It was so bad that it was coming out everywhere. My husband had to move the car because of security, so I was left alone with all four girls and the suitcases. We moved everything off to the side, I sat the older three (11,10 and 4) down next to the suitcases and ran the two year old into the bathroom to quickly change her.

When I came out, the gate agent for Southwest Airlines was waiting for me. She said in a loud tone, "do you realize you left three of your children and luggage in an airport by themselves?" I tried to explain to her that my two year old had pooped in her pants, but she refused to listen to me. She told me that she had already called my husband and that security was next. Their were only four people in line, but I was so embarrassed I just stood there and cried. My husband then showed up and took over. I sat with the girls humiliated and shaking. It was late and we did not want any trouble so we just got the boarding passes and left. Unfortunately the girls witnessed everything.

I cannot quit thinking about what happened. Is eleven really too young to leave in charge of a 10 and 4 year old outside of a bathroom with luggage? I asked my oldest if they did anything wrong and she said no. I keep trying to let it go but I feel like this ruined our whole vacation.
I quoted the OP here, I did this because people keep saying she sat them by the SWA counter and then went to the bathroom which wasn't near the counter, but she didn't say that here. She said she put them off to the side with the luggage and went into the bathroom to clean up the baby, the SWA agent may have been leaving for the day, may have been walking to or from a break or lunch, or may have been just starting her shift. Saw the kids and over reacted. Yes, the employee over reacted. There is nothing wrong with kids those ages sitting outside the bathroom and waiting for their Mom. My kids have been flying since they were 6 and 9, I always just drop them off at the airport and let them make their way through security, it hasn't been a problem for quite some time now.

OP I don't think you did anything wrong, I would have done the same thing. I don't think your DD11 did anything wrong by telling the airline employee flight information either, I do think that employee was way out of line and you should report it to SWA.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #101
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

edit. Wrong thread.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #102
zoo2tycoon
DIS Veteran

Like all posts like this we are only getting one side of the story.
As so many others said why would gate agent or whoever say anything unless the kids were there longer or because it was 9PM at night. For whatever reason the employee was concerned about what was going on with these kids... Mom should be grateful that someone was concerned about her kids sitting there.

Oldest child shouldn't be giving information to anyone who asks for it. Also OP, you need to get your big girl panties on and act like a mom of four. NOT cry and act like a baby. Your kids don't need to be humiliated with mom crying her eyes out because someone showed concern for them!

I am sure you were stressed- we all get that way when we travel. You need to put it behind you and not go to the extremes of contacting SW and possibly getting a concerned employee written up or fired. Maybe that is what they are supposed to do.

I think we are getting bits and pieces of information...that OP might have time off too. If 'accident' younger child had was so bad then possibly she was cleaning up longer than she thought and husband dropping off rental car probably took longer too. I'd be thankful someone was concerned for my kids...as others said I'd just say thanks for showing concern, talk to my oldest about giving out personal information and leave it at that. I certainly wouldn't stand and cry like a baby about it in front of my kids who are almost teenagers....
Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #103
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo2tycoon
Like all posts like this we are only getting one side of the story.
As so many others said why would gate agent or whoever say anything unless the kids were there longer or because it was 9PM at night. For whatever reason the employee was concerned about what was going on with these kids... Mom should be grateful that someone was concerned about her kids sitting there.

Oldest child shouldn't be giving information to anyone who asks for it. Also OP, you need to get your big girl panties on and act like a mom of four. NOT cry and act like a baby. Your kids don't need to be humiliated with mom crying her eyes out because someone showed concern for them!

I am sure you were stressed- we all get that way when we travel. You need to put it behind you and not go to the extremes of contacting SW and possibly getting a concerned employee written up or fired. Maybe that is what they are supposed to do.

I think we are getting bits and pieces of information...that OP might have time off too. If 'accident' younger child had was so bad then possibly she was cleaning up longer than she thought and husband dropping off rental car probably took longer too. I'd be thankful someone was concerned for my kids...as others said I'd just say thanks for showing concern, talk to my oldest about giving out personal information and leave it at that. I certainly wouldn't stand and cry like a baby about it in front of my kids who are almost teenagers....
Well said. I also found the OP's reaction a little much. Not sure how this would have ruined her vacation.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #104
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
I'm curious about why the gate agent even noticed the kids and luggage.
Almost certainly because it was 9 at night. There are very few flights departing Reno after 9pm. There's a good chance that the OP's group was nearly the last set of bags the counter agent had to check before going off-shift for the night/closing down the counter.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #105
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post

In fact, that would make quite a thread on the Dis, I'm sure!
"OMG, you won't believe what I saw at MCO when we were arriving in Orlando, some woman was just standing to the side in the airport with four kids and the youngest had POOP running down her legs. Seriously, disgusting! People are so nasty! And WHY was she allowing the child to remain in that condition? I had half a mind to contact airport security and have it dealt with. In fact, someone should have called CPS!"

I'd just try to relax and forget the whole thing!
This is exactly what would have happened! Darned if you do, darned if you don't on the DIS!!!

Some people are not wired for confrontation. For those of you criticizing the OP for crying and for her reaction is a little harsh. So she didn't react the way you would have reacted, big deal. Traveling by plane sucks. There is nothing fun about it (have you read the airport queue thread???) anymore. Maybe they were running late for their flight, so the stress level was high to begin with. I'm sure all of you can agree that your kid having explosive diarrhea all over themselves is the last thing anyone would want to deal with before all the other crap (no pun intended, seriously) you have to go through at the airport
just to even get ON the plane.

I realize that as a parent you sometimes have to keep your emotions in check in front of your children, however, do you think the alternative of having the OP "stand up for herself" or "defend herself" would have been a better reaction for her children to witness? If that were the case, you'd still be criticiziing her that she overreacted and is teaching her children to be mouthy, entitled snots that by yelling at people you will get your way. Again, this OP was up the creek with everyone no matter how she reacted.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: