Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Have you known someone who has taken paid meds for long time?

What has been the long term problems? BIL takes a bunch for a few years now I believe morphine is one of them. I think he has pretty much given up on much of life. We don't live close and dh is taking this hard but feels useless. It is for his back he is late 30's. I don't think he ever plans on being off them. Anyone know someone like this and what has been the outcome?
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

It depends on what you mean by "a long time." I've been taking 10-660mg hydrocodone tablets, 1 tablet 3 x daily for two herniated and one bulging disc, and 150mg Lyrica capsules 1 capsule 3 x daily for neuropathic pain. I've been on both of these drugs for more than five years with no side effects.

Some might call this addicted to the drugs, but I don't, because I NEED them, not CRAVE them. If I didn't take them, I would be bedridden or at best confined to a wheelchair.

Hope this is the kind of information you're seeking.

ETA: I just re-read your post. Has your BIL seen a good orthopedist? Is his problem something that may be helped with surgery? Back surgery has come a long way in recent years and it doesn't carry nearly the danger of making the problem worse as it did many years ago. I'm even considering asking my ortho about surgery, and I'm almost 66 years old.

Queen Colleen

Last edited by PigletsPal2; 02-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Acklander
DIS Veteran

I spent 14 months on heavy duty pain killers (some morphine, mostly Duladid). I can see how someone lost in pain can get stuck in the cycle. During that time I was also actively working on the problem to try and get rid of the pain (17 surgeries in 14 mos.). I remember at the time I was doing surgeries one of my doctors mentioned that I would probably have to rehab at the end of it, but I was fine once they were able to fix things enough so I now only have minor discomfort - so no drugs.
If there's no way to fix the source of his pain, I don't know what the motivator would be for reducing the amount or strength of the pain killers. Does he have a support person with him? I don't know if I would have done as well without dh there helping work towards a solution instead of just giving up and living with the pain and painkillers.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Sort of. My sisters Boyfriend had an accident where a piece of machinery fell on his leg. He was given OxyContin for pain. He had been taking it for about 4 years by the time my sister met him. At some point he started smoking the pills. His doctor wouldn't give him oxy any more so he started going to other doctors. If you look hard enough eventually you will find a doctor who will give them to you. At some point his sister started smoking the pills with him. She was married and a young mother of two. She became addicted and one day snatched a lady's purse and got caught. She had abandoned her husband and children as well. She was arrested. She was released and waiting for her court date when she committed suicide. My sisters boyfriend is now her ex boyfriend. He no longer has a job. He used to be an accountant. He crashes on people's couches and doesn't have his own place. When I last saw him I barely recognized him. He had a missing tooth and his face was covered in pockmarks. He has a new girlfriend now. She is also an addict. She apparently gave him hepatitis C. I'm not sure that he has much of a future. It's sad to watch someone destroy their life like that.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Yep, my mom was on Darvocet for 20+ years for early onset arthritis. She only stopped when they pulled it off the market. It was the most mild thing she could take without side effects. Now she is in a lot of pain, but can't tolerate arthritis medication. She says the pain is better than the side effects (she can't eat and her heart acts up) so she tries to live with it, but it kills me to see her hobble around.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I also have another friend who will be on a morphine pump the rest of her life because of back problems. So there are legit reasons, but I think we hear more about the addicts than the people who are actually better on the medication unfortunately.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
What has been the long term problems? BIL takes a bunch for a few years now I believe morphine is one of them. I think he has pretty much given up on much of life. We don't live close and dh is taking this hard but feels useless. It is for his back he is late 30's. I don't think he ever plans on being off them. Anyone know someone like this and what has been the outcome?
Yes, not morphine, in flares in the ER they did provide that. It depends if the person is drug dependent or drug addicted. Drug defendant for quality of life is what it is. You are not going to heal, will always have the injury. Some days better then others, while increase activity can cause a flare up.

If the. Person is drug seeking, self medicating with Bose, or illegal drugs it is a real concern. Other wise they are doing the best they can while quality of life is difficult.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

Some of the side effects my grandmother had were hearing loss and gastrointestinal issues. I'm not going to get into the addiction side of it as the other posters already have. He needs to seek treatment for the source of his pain. He's till a pretty young guy.
chiefmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
hellow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
It depends on what you mean by "a long time." I've been taking 10-660mg hydrocodone tablets, 1 tablet 3 x daily for two herniated and one bulging disc, and 150mg Lyrica capsules 1 capsule 3 x daily for neuropathic pain. I've been on both of these drugs for more than five years with no side effects.

Some might call this addicted to the drugs, but I don't, because I NEED them, not CRAVE them. If I didn't take them, I would be bedridden or at best confined to a wheelchair.

Hope this is the kind of information you're seeking.

Queen Colleen
This is me too. I have nerve pain related to a surgery. I have tried all the non-narcotic drugs which work for a while, then stop. I do take a restricted amount of hydrocodone and have for about 8 years. I don't take more than what is prescribed, I try anything I read about to help the pain instead of taking the vicodin, but it is the only things that really helps with the pain. I don't like taking it, but it is all about quality of life. I spent a couple of years working with a surgeon to fix the root cause of the pain, but my doctors finally decided that we just needed to treat the symptoms. I am in my 50's and have just chalked it up to getting old.
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I have trigeminal neuralgia that I have been able to (fortunately) manage pretty well, so I count my blessings. I'm not addicted to anything, but it takes between 4 and 8 ibuprofen to kill the pain of a flare up for 4 hours and I pee black blood afterwards or 1 hydrocodone and 1 anti-nausea pill for the same amount of time (and I sleep the entire time) or 6 acetaminophen and I can manage, but can still feel it. Obviously, I like ibuprofen the best - I feel perfectly normal (until I go to the bathroom. . .) and it's non-addictive, but I can't take it all the time - I worry about my kidneys!

It is what it is. I feel lucky that I'm able to function normally and that I only have to do this after a "trigger" incident, usually for a few weeks.

If you're in pain and you take pain pills and they make you feel normal so you can be productive, that's entirely different than being an addict, even if you are dependent upon the pills.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
Could be the pain combined with needing the drugs and feeling useless has led to depression. No long term problems for me (knock on wood) but when I had the pain and it seemed like life would never be "normal" ever again I was really depressed. Don't let him give up. The others are right - he's a young guy and there are a lot of possible solutions out there for him.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Sgt Mickey
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
I
ETA: I just re-read your post. Has your BIL seen a good orthopedist? Is his problem something that may be helped with surgery? Back surgery has come a long way in recent years and it doesn't carry nearly the danger of making the problem worse as it did many years ago. I'm even considering asking my ortho about surgery, and I'm almost 66 years old.

Queen Colleen
Thanks. I am not sure tell you the truth. I know most of the problem would be eliminated if he lost a good 200-300 lbs but that is another story.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
I spent 14 months on heavy duty pain killers (some morphine, mostly Duladid). I can see how someone lost in pain can get stuck in the cycle. During that time I was also actively working on the problem to try and get rid of the pain (17 surgeries in 14 mos.). I remember at the time I was doing surgeries one of my doctors mentioned that I would probably have to rehab at the end of it, but I was fine once they were able to fix things enough so I now only have minor discomfort - so no drugs.
If there's no way to fix the source of his pain, I don't know what the motivator would be for reducing the amount or strength of the pain killers. Does he have a support person with him? I don't know if I would have done as well without dh there helping work towards a solution instead of just giving up and living with the pain and painkillers.
I don't think he has the support he needs. He is married and his parents live close but they let him do what ever. I am not sure if the problem he has can be fixed by surgery I need to ask dh. BUT considering all his other medical issues I am not sure if they will even do it.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
Could be the pain combined with needing the drugs and feeling useless has led to depression. No long term problems for me (knock on wood) but when I had the pain and it seemed like life would never be "normal" ever again I was really depressed. Don't let him give up. The others are right - he's a young guy and there are a lot of possible solutions out there for him.
Thanks I do think this is what happened.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Yes, I just came back from the funeral of someone who had taken (and abused) pain medicine for years. It's a "slipperly slope" and in this case, it was tragically slippery.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: