Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post
Northern California -- but only if we also made a loooot of money We visit there often, and just love it. We love the weather, the landscape, the cities, the activities and the culture.
I have to agree. We love it there and I hope to be able to retire from anywhere from Monterey to further Northern California.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

I just asked this today on facebook. I can't stand where I live so I won't recommend it. My parents are in Atlanta and I wouldn't go there either (traffic is horrible). If you really want to stay on the east coast, I'd go with Charleston, SC or Asheville, NC but once you see the west coast, I bet you'd love to live there. We moved here from the west and are looking to go back every day!
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
arihillfarm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
How about an Atlanta suburb? That way you'd be close to the culture of a larger city, but still be in a less-populated area.

We lived on the western side (Austell and Marietta) in the early 1990's -- enjoyed it.
I grew up in the metro Atlanta area, Smyrna actually, so I recommend it also. My mother and some of my father's family still lives there so I love going back "home" to visit. The Savannah area is nice too and close to lots of vacation and recreation opportunities. The airport though is smaller and would likely require connecting flights to get to much of the US.

-Astrid
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
TammyAlphabet
DIS Veteran
Life Member - "exclusive tag fairy club"
Enjoys sour grapes

I live close to Nashville and I love it here. The counties of Rutherford and Franklin just south of Nashville are ideal places to live, in my opinion. As for me, I would love to live in Hilton Head too, as that is one of my favorite places. I love the trees and landscape and close vicinity to the beach. However, when I retire, I am moving to Hawaii.
TammyAlphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
kimsuenew
DIS Veteran

Hilton Head, SC! It is the most beautiful place I have ever been and one day we will live there!

kimsuenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

DH and i often joke about moving once DD15 is in college, but we probably never will. we've discussed many places, and the winner always seems to be southern georgia, or extreme northern florida. we can't stand the cold (lived in alabama all our lives), so going north is out. and we don't want to go too far south, to avoid the hurricanes.

as i said though, i doubt all this talk ever amounts to anything. DH owns 75 acres of family land here, and his parents are here, and their health has deteriorated a good bit in the past 5 years, so they're really in no shape to move.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

Well I do love Hilton Head for a vacation, but I wouldn't want to live there with kids. You would pretty much have to put your kids in private school. Most of the year round residents are retirees.

I am a bit partial to Charleston
We have great beaches, great history, great culture, great people, some great schools, and great hospitals. If you do a general search of our public schools they probably will not rank very high. That is because we have a consolidated school district. We have some very highly nationally ranked schools and probably some terrible schools, but you can pretty much figure that out when you are looking at real estate.

We live in Mt. Pleasant (10 minutes to downtown, on the river and 10 minutes to the beach). All the schools in Mt. Pleasant are fantastic. We are 15 minutes from the airport.

Did I mention that Conde Nast named Charleston "Best City in the World" this year?

And we provide comic relief to those who move from up north. If there is even a chance of a snowflake falling within 100 miles of here, the store shelves are emptied of milk and bread.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it is an easy 6 hour drive to Disney!
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class

UPCOMING: April 2014 Yacht Club

CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic
UPCOMING** November 2014 Disney Fantasy

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
Nashville TN. People even kids are very respectibly. Will hold doors open for you - even the kids will do this. You will still have winter but nothing like 8-12 inches of snow. Housing market seems to be priced fairly good. Easy to get around on the streets and highways.
First place I thought of, although my friends there all send their kids to private school.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
natfrac
Mouseketeer

Another vote for the San Francisco area, if only money were no object We live in Portland, which we do like a lot. I don't mind the rain, but DH gets tired of it.
natfrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

We vote for Savannah, Georgia. It is amazing there!
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I'm easily a strict East coast gal. LOL.
I do hate the winter and as I get older I'm getting less and less tolerant, that being said I need, love and crave variety.
I need theater, small or large. I need restaurant variety, I once lived in a small town where folks thought olive garden was good italian. I thought I was going to slit my wrist.

I love cities, I love not having to drive to get some thing or some where.

So it looks like I'm stuck. LOL. I actually like Jersey except for the high property taxes. I'm surrounding by NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC. I've got Jersey and Maryland Beaches, excellent universities and hospitals, great culture and shopping.

I'm thinking of checking out Charleston or Miami for a winter home.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #27
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I would love to live in Charleston, SC.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers
I would love to live in Charleston, SC.
Me too. Beautiful town, nice people and great food.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

My initial response was Scotland and then I saw that it had to be in the US so I was going to suggest several cities in California, but then I saw you wanted the East side of the US...so I have no idea Good luck, what a nice gift to be able to move wherever you want!

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #30
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

This is the view from our neighborhood dock taken last week at sunset. Just imagine yourself sitting out there watching the dolphins play in the tidal creek as the egrets perch on dock posts. We really do love where we live.

Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class

UPCOMING: April 2014 Yacht Club

CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic
UPCOMING** November 2014 Disney Fantasy

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: