Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

If you could live anywhere....

My DH's job allows us the flexibility to pretty much live anywhere - as long as its near an airport and within the U.S. We currently live in PA and I'm finding it harder and harder to make it through the winters here. So, as the wind whips around outside and the snow flies, I'm pondering where else we could live that is more temperate year around. We would prefer a smaller town with decent schools and would probably stay in the eastern half of the country. Got any great recommendations? Do you love where you live? Tell me about it! If you could live anywhere, where would that be? Maybe your suggestions will inspire a move! But at the very least maybe we can daydream for a little while!

Neesy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

Someplace warm is the first thing that I thought of when I read your question. I would move in a heartbeat if I knew a job was guaranteed. I'm looking forward to reading the responses that you get here.
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Nashville TN. People even kids are very respectibly. Will hold doors open for you - even the kids will do this. You will still have winter but nothing like 8-12 inches of snow. Housing market seems to be priced fairly good. Easy to get around on the streets and highways.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

I would move to Hilton Head Island SC! Feel in love with everything about it. What I do for work would allow me to move easily, its just hard to pick everything up, sell home/rent, move cars, find a place to live that allows pets, etc. My other choice would be Saint Augustine, FL and Washington DC. DC is just such a beautiful city with so much to do. I would love to move there. My plan is to move in 6 months to a year. Kinda looking forward to a new place, and new area to explore.
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
Nashville TN. People even kids are very respectibly. Will hold doors open for you - even the kids will do this. You will still have winter but nothing like 8-12 inches of snow. Housing market seems to be priced fairly good. Easy to get around on the streets and highways.
Nashville is very nice! Three of my friends live there and love everything about it. Just very friendly, and open people who just seem to want to help you. All three are married and stay at home. They find it very easy to live a comfortable life with kids and its very safe.
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

Florida....thats where we plan on moving hopefully within the next 5-10 years my dh lived there for about 15 and moved to N.C. where we live now where I was born and raised although I do love N.C. and the weather. I have always wanted to live in Florida so thats where we hope to be soon and closer to the the mouse

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
ilovedisney1982
Loving Disney Every Day!

Miami, FL is a beautiful city. It is extremely artsy in one part and very business oriented in a another. Go check out Miami!
ilovedisney1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Northern California -- but only if we also made a loooot of money We visit there often, and just love it. We love the weather, the landscape, the cities, the activities and the culture.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

How about an Atlanta suburb? That way you'd be close to the culture of a larger city, but still be in a less-populated area.

We lived on the western side (Austell and Marietta) in the early 1990's -- enjoyed it.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

first thought was Hawaii - but then I read you want East Coast

We live in the Raleigh, NC area and love it. I was raised here - moved to England and then CT and have now returned to the area.

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
first thought was Hawaii - but then I read you want East Coast

We live in the Raleigh, NC area and love it. I was raised here - moved to England and then CT and have now returned to the area.

Come south. Best move ever. have lived all over the usa, mainly in nyc and have never been happier.

(southeast). GL!
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02

Come south. Best move ever. have lived all over the usa, mainly in nyc and have never been happier.

(southeast). GL!
Where do you live that you love it so much? Thanks for your input!

Neesy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post
Northern California -- but only if we also made a loooot of money We visit there often, and just love it. We love the weather, the landscape, the cities, the activities and the culture.
I'm with you - San Francisco Bay Area. I lived in San Jose for 15+ years, and LOVED every single minute of it. (It helped that I work in IT, but there are plenty of other types of jobs too.) I would pick the Santa Clara Valley over SF proper - close enough to pop into the city when you want, but not having to drive the hills and fight for parking every day And you have not just one airport nearby, but 3 - SFO, San Jose and Oakland are all within an hours drive.

Unfortunately I had to move to Sacramento about 8 years ago for a job. I'm not so thrilled with this area for a variety of reasons - I am starting to scheme how to get back to San Jose or one of the many nearby towns (they all sort of run together down there). But at least I still have Northern California weather....
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

How about FL? Then you can get the awesome FL resident discounts The gulf side is just beautiful. I have friends who recently moved to that area and they just love it.
Hilton Head area would be another favorite. It is our favorite beach area and DH is constantly trying to figure out a way to move there
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
sunkissed4
Mouseketeer

Lived in upstate NY my whole life then moved to the Tampa area 4 years ago.. Only an hour from Disney... Best move ever

AP holders who can't get enough Disney!
sunkissed4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: