Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Disney Visa Rewards Q

We have some Disney Reward dollars on our DV that will expire this year. If I move them to a rewards card, I know they transfer reward dollars in a FIFO basis, but by moving them to the Rewards card prior to their expiration, will that extend their expiration date?

Example, I have around 50$ in Rewards that will expire this fall that i haven't redeemed. If I move 100$ onto a rewards card now, will those 50$ still expire this Fall?
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Once moved to a rewards card, the card then expires Dec of the following year. For example I just moved mine to a card & got it last week (Feb of 2013) and the card & points expire December of 2014. So it will add atleast a year, if not longer depending on when you transfer it.

I have also learned if the rewards card is then close to expiring you can purchase Disney Gift cards (at a Disney store or online) with the rewards card & they NEVER expire! I have never had to do that - but makes since! And then you can always use the Disney Gift cards at the parks too!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Thank you. Very helpful.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
s232271
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAbby'sMom
Once moved to a rewards card, the card then expires Dec of the following year. For example I just moved mine to a card & got it last week (Feb of 2013) and the card & points expire December of 2014. So it will add atleast a year, if not longer depending on when you transfer it.

I have also learned if the rewards card is then close to expiring you can purchase Disney Gift cards (at a Disney store or online) with the rewards card & they NEVER expire! I have never had to do that - but makes since! And then you can always use the Disney Gift cards at the parks too!
How long did it take to receive your card ?
s232271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s232271 View Post
How long did it take to receive your card ?
The last time I ordered a Rewards card it came in just a few days - less than a week I'm certain. Once you have a card, you can re-load it immediately (assuming you have more points availale to transfer).

As a PP mentioned, the Rewards card will expire Dec. 31st of the following year (order now, it will expires 12/31/2014, same expiration date if you wait and get a Rewards card this coming November).
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
The last time I ordered a Rewards card it came in just a few days - less than a week I'm certain. Once you have a card, you can re-load it immediately (assuming you have more points availale to transfer).

As a PP mentioned, the Rewards card will expire Dec. 31st of the following year (order now, it will expires 12/31/2014, same expiration date if you wait and get a Rewards card this coming November).
I waited too long to reorder, and my card didn't make it in time. I think I ordered about 10 days before our cruise and I knew it would be close, but it didn't arrive in time. Because it was Dec., my new card only goes until Dec. 2013 (which was the problem with the old one - Dec 2012!)

I usually don't transfer the fund until I'm just about to use them anyway. I'll use those on this card, plus whatever I earn between now and sailing, on the next cruise.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Mom24Princesses
DIS Veteran

Different Questions -
1 Can anyone in my family use the card or just me if my name is on it?
2 Can I order more than one card? Or order a second while I still have an active card?
ASMu--July 96; ASMu--Aug 98; PORS--June 01; ASMu--July 03; POP--Feb 04; CSR--June 04; ASMo--June 07; AoA--June 13
DCL

1st DCL Eastern MAGIC APRIL 1-8, 2006

THEN!!
2nd DCL Western MAGIC April 5-12, 2008
Mom24Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Pwac
Mouseketeer

I didn't realize that the reward dollars expired so I lost $300+ last month. I was able to get them back (and very grateful) but was advised by Chase to buy Disney gift cards with any reward dollars that are about to expire. HTH.
Pwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom24Princesses View Post
Different Questions -
2 Can I order more than one card? Or order a second while I still have an active card?
1. Probably anyone who's authorized on your Disney Visa account, but I'm not certain. DH and I have both used it, but we're both on the Visa account so I never thought anything about it.

2. You can have more than 1 Rewards card, but each will have it's own balance. Multiple cards cannot access the same rewards. For example, if you have $100 reward points and wanted both you and spouse to have a card, you could transfer $50 onto each. If you order a 2nd card after you have one already active, just keep track of them because they could have different expiration dates depending on how far apart your ordered them.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Different Questions -
1) I used one that was in my DH's name to apply to our onboard account. DH was standing nearby but I don't think they ever tried to confirm that it was actually him and/or his card. They just applied it (maybe since the card was in his name and he was also on the reservation, they didn't need to check ).

2) I believe you can only have two active cards. I think I misplaced one that was empty but still within the valid date and I had to call Chase to have them deactivate it before I could order a new one (I had a second one already).

P.S. The reason we needed two was because I always split our rewards up so that DH can carry one card and I can carry the other. That way we don't have all our money tied up if one card is lost/stolen.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Mom24Princesses
DIS Veteran

Thanks we've been growing points/dollars for along time and we have a lot built up. Good ideas about splitting the points between two cards for a little extra security! They will be paying for almost all our meals this summer at WDW.
ASMu--July 96; ASMu--Aug 98; PORS--June 01; ASMu--July 03; POP--Feb 04; CSR--June 04; ASMo--June 07; AoA--June 13
DCL

1st DCL Eastern MAGIC APRIL 1-8, 2006

THEN!!
2nd DCL Western MAGIC April 5-12, 2008
Mom24Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks we've been growing points/dollars for along time and we have a lot built up. Good ideas about splitting the points between two cards for a little extra security! They will be paying for almost all our meals this summer at WDW.
If you're worried about losing your points if the card is lost or stolen, only put a small portion of the points on your card. You can call the number on the back of the card at any time, and have Chase transfer more points to the cards instantly!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: