DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
mouse
Mouseketeer

BVC compensation for SB closure over spring break

My husband & I, along with our daughter, her husband , and two grandchildren were guests at BCV during the time of SAB closure the week after Easter. We had made these reservations using points 11 months out, as BCV is our home resort. Kids love the slide at the pool and were definitely disappointed. Other pools were extremely crowded - no available chairs, etc. We did not expect, or ask for, any compensation and I understand that emergency closures do come up from time to time. However, I have read on these boards that in a some instances guests were compensated for this "inconvenience". The posters were not specific as to in what way they were compensated, but I would be curious to know. We could have stayed at any of the other DVC Resorts and saved anywhere from 8 to 40 points. That 40 points would have been another DVC vacation for two of us. I feel that if it is true that some had been compensated in some way, I would be inclined to complain that all guests who found themselves in this same situation should have been likewise compensated. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks.
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

I would be upset, and it never hurts to make a call and hopefully get the right person who will be sympathetic. However, SAB is not part of BCV, it's the Beach Club hotel pool and they just let the DVC members use it. So don't be surprised if you hear this from MS when you call. I would explain nicely that you waited 11 months and feel short changed. Again, they will probably tell you that SAB is not a DVC pool, but it can't hurt to call.
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
mouse
Mouseketeer

However, BC guests were told that an option was to use the BCV pool during the closure. Because of this, the chaises and tables were completely taken early in the day, every day. We have stayed at BCV many times, and the quiet pool there has always been just that, quiet. So this was also an an added inconvenience to BCV guests. We usually do parks in the AM and then go back to the resort for pool time in the afternoon. Not possible during this trip. We still had a great trip, but what's fair for one, should be fair for all.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

Well that's the angle I would take. However, the longer you wait the less likely they are to do something so call and explain this and see if you can get a manager on the phone. If the villa pool was overrun with BC guests, then you have what I would say is a sound basis for a complaint. Let us know what they say.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
mouse
Mouseketeer

I'm looking for info on what type of compensation was offered/given. My husband stated that he heard a guest on the elevator at BCV say something about free tickets to a water park. Of course, at the time, he didn't put 2 and 2 together. And that would have been of no use to us. I would mainly be interested if anyone received points back. I know this inconvenience affected a large group of guests, and I wouldn't like to think that only those that complained got compensated in some way.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
ppjluvsdvc
Mouseketeer

HI!

We checked in the Monday they reopened the slide. Other guests told us that they were offered tickets to the waterparks for use any time. I don't believe anyone was given anything more than that.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
TisBit
DIS Veteran

OK, I will take a stab at this . The pool was closed during your stay, you weren't very concerned or upset at the time or in the days that followed (although it was an inconvenience, as most things are). You have heard rumors that "people" may have received some sort of compensation and you want to find out what that is and if it is "good enough" to complain and try to get the same thing.

If you were sorely inconvenienced my first suggestion would have been to complain at the time and have an idea of what might have made your stay better (changing resorts, etc). Now that it is after the fact, you can still complain, but again have any idea of what you feel you need in compensation, not just what the "other guy" got. Everyone's vacation and circumstances are different. So the fact that the pool was closed might impact one guest more than another because of their circumstances (say they needed a zero entry pool because of a disability or their child has a great fear of clowns swallowing them up, so the BC pool wasn't a good option).

Bottom line, contact Disney if you feel somehow this was a big enough issue to warrant a complaint, not just because you want something for free.
TisBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Wow!

From what I've heard and read, waterpark passes were the compensation! And IMO adequate compensation as other pools were available though not convenient.

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Who's your Mickey?
Ruler of the Disney Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
However, BC guests were told that an option was to use the BCV pool during the closure. Because of this, the chaises and tables were completely taken early in the day, every day. We have stayed at BCV many times, and the quiet pool there has always been just that, quiet. So this was also an an added inconvenience to BCV guests. We usually do parks in the AM and then go back to the resort for pool time in the afternoon. Not possible during this trip. We still had a great trip, but what's fair for one, should be fair for all.
But the flip side of this coin is that SAB is part of the hotel, not the DVC resort. By allowing DVC members to use SAB, aren't hotel guest facing the possibility of a crowded pool deck and occupied chaises and tables?

I realize that as DVC owners, we have made a significant financial investment in our vacationing future with Disney, but for some of the people staying as hotel guests this stay is the highlight of a year (or more).

If your inconvenience was so great that you felt it necessary to complain, you should have spoken up while you were still on sight. Filing a complaint weeks later, in my opinion, looks like a petty attempt to garner a freebie.

I'm not trying to insult you or be mean spirited, but in your initial post you stated that you didn't ask for, or expect compensation. Then you state that if others got some form of compensation, maybe you (and others in a similar situation) should complain as well and hopefully be compensated.

Hide the rum...
Who's your Mickey? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
DisneyMomJen
DIS Veteran

We were at BCV over this Spring Break/Easter time and used a HUGE amount of points. I was and still am upset about the pool situation, to the point that I dont want to go back to BCV which I have always loved. I asked to be moved to a different resort, but nothing was available. We were given one day passes to a waterpark. Based on the amount of points that we used, the waterpark passes were really not much of a compensation.
DisneyMomJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's your Mickey? View Post
But the flip side of this coin is that SAB is part of the hotel, not the DVC resort. By allowing DVC members to use SAB, aren't hotel guest facing the possibility of a crowded pool deck and occupied chaises and tables?

I realize that as DVC owners, we have made a significant financial investment in our vacationing future with Disney, but for some of the people staying as hotel guests this stay is the highlight of a year (or more).

If your inconvenience was so great that you felt it necessary to complain, you should have spoken up while you were still on sight. Filing a complaint weeks later, in my opinion, looks like a petty attempt to garner a freebie.

I'm not trying to insult you or be mean spirited, but in your initial post you stated that you didn't ask for, or expect compensation. Then you state that if others got some form of compensation, maybe you (and others in a similar situation) should complain as well and hopefully be compensated.
Actually, Stormalong Bay is considered part of BCV too. I don't own at BCV but from what I've heard, it is in the contract as included and member dues help pay for its operation.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I thought only a portion of SAB was closed during that time. Part of the place was still open, right? And weren't guests allowed to go to the BW pools as well? Plus use the YC/BC and BCV leisure pools?

Plus, I thought the repairs were based on an emergency repair and not scheduled maintenance.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

The OP's point of view indicates they'd appreciate some compensation from the point of keeping it fair. I completely understand. If Disney was handing out water park passes for one family's inconvenience, then they should have been doing it for all, whether or not they had been asked for them. However, that is not how the Disney model works.

The trip is over and it sounds as though it was a good one despite the SAB closure. I would not be contacting anyone for compensation. Disney keeps record of all communications with everyone. I wouldn't want 'complainer' on my profile unless it was for something absolutely warranted such as an issue with my room that needed addressing asap & if that were the case I would be camped out at the front desk until the issue was resolved.

Last edited by twinklebug; 05-14-2012 at 06:05 PM.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
mouse
Mouseketeer

Not looking for anything free. I have been a DVC member since 2001 & have never even so much as made a room request. For those of you who have taken it upon yourselves to lecture me, the reason I posted today, weeks after our vacation, is that I don't check out these boards too often. I did, however, visit the boards early in April, because I was looking for any last minute information or tips from the knowledgeable people who post here. There was a thread about SAB rehab at that time, to which I added a comment. So I was surprised to receive an email just the other day that there was a new post to that thread. Part of that post read, "Also, I am not going to go into details, but Disney went over the top in terms of compensation for out troubles. Hats off to them for making another memorable vacation". This made me wonder what my family may have missed out on, and how does Disney decide who does & who does not get
"compensated" in these situations. The one thing that would upset me would be if points had been reimbursed.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Sorry have to disagree on this. There is no time they can fix things that does not inconvenience someone.

I would not expect nor want anything from them.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: