Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #46
footballmouse
DIS Veteran

This is the first I'm hearing about packing cubes. I just googled them. It looks like they are mesh suitcases to put in a suitcase. Am I looking at the correct thing?
footballmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #47
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I second the over the door shoe holder, the power strip, and the pop up hamper. We kept everything in the over the door shoe holder -hung it on the shower door facing outward - that way if someone was in the shower you could get to it - we had one with 24 pockets and everyone of them had something in it. The power strip was great with three people - two of which were kids that charged I-pods and I-pads each night. The pop up hamper fit right under the desk - out of the way and great to keep the dirty stuff off of the floor. I also would second the flashlight - we gave them as FE gifts - and we happen to be on our cruise when the Carnival Triumph had their fire (passed right by them in the middle of the night - happened to be on the verandah - didn't know why they were just sitting there until the next day - that was dark ship - very few lights - wasn't sure it was even a cruise ship until we got closer) - so I am sure some of those people would have loved a flashlight so I will make sure I always have one. We did bring suction cup hooks for the shower, but we did not do too much swimming - maybe because it was February and a little cool on two of our three sea days - but my next cruise is May-June so I may need them more.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #48
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Just off 8 nights on the Magic, four is us one room. Space was tight but we packed what we wanted (and had too much) because we were driving to Galveston, not flying. My recommendations - ziplock bags of all sizes for packing at the end - lots of little things to pack that we didn't start with. Small can of air freshener or Lysol for the bathroom after smelly BMs. Wish I had a fan because it got pretty warm in the room the last two nights, but not sure if any are allowed. A flashlight would have been great because the room gets really dark at night.
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #49
Embraer
Mouseketeer

Prohibited Items, does an extension cord mean something other than a power strip?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #50
natandscott
Mouseketeer

I'm a little paranoid about this sort of thing, but I always bring a back up camera.... and a second spare battery for the first camera. To me, looking at pictures when we get home is the next best thing to being on the cruise
March 2010: Disney's Boardwalk
November 2011: Disney's Wilderness Lodge
December 2012: Disney's Beach Club Resort
January 2014: Disney Cruise (Fantasy); Port Orleans Riverside; Pop Century
natandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #51
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballmouse View Post
This is the first I'm hearing about packing cubes. I just googled them. It looks like they are mesh suitcases to put in a suitcase. Am I looking at the correct thing?
Check post 42 in this thread, she has a link to the packing cubes.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #52
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
Prohibited Items, does an extension cord mean something other than a power strip?
Yes. A power strip is okay, an extension cord is not.

DynamicDisneyDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #53
Maryrn11168
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillmolly View Post
This is not the first time I have seen the suggestion to bring sand toys, but I am curious as to how you travled with them? We are going to be on the ship for Easter and I would love for the Easter Bunny to bring sand toys for DS. But how do I get it on the boat?
We were going for Easter as well and I had baskets made for each of my kids by Shirley at The Perfect Gift and had her put some sand toys in the baskets. This way I didn't have to worry about travelling with all the toys, candy and stuff. Her website is listed under one of the stickey's at the top or search baskets by Shirley.

Honeymoon-Swan 1997,AKL 5/02, Off site 11/02, Hilton Head 8/03, OKW 11/03, Hilton Head 8/04, BCV 5/05, Boardwalk 5/06, Vero Beach 8/07, VWL 5/2008, Magic Western 10/08, BWV 11/08, HHI 8/09, Magic Eastern 3/10, SSR 10/10, Vero Beach 8/11, Dream 5-night 8/11, BLT 8/11, Disney 1/2 Marathon 1/12, 5/12 SSR, 6/12 Magic Weekend Getaway, 7/12 BCV, 9/13 DVC Member Cruise, 10/13 BCV, 2nd 1/2 Marathon BCV 1/14
Maryrn11168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #54
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
Check post 42 in this thread, she has a link to the packing cubes.
She's no woman, that's a man, baby!

Sorry, couldn't resist the Austin Powers reference. Skip the link if you aren't a fan of AP.
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #55
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I love the idea of the flashlight with the glow in the dark handles!!! I will be on the lookout for one.

noahdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #56
mickey2000
Pin trader

FOR ALL YOUR MUSIC, MOVIES, PICTURES, and BOOKS!

Upload to my Wi-drive before I leave home. Great on ship with no internet.
Connects to your Ipad, Iphone , Kindle etc. thru wifi

This works great for Ipads and kindles.
Load at home before you go books, movies, pictures, music, etc..
Wi Fi connection with Apps for Kindle & Ipad
I own two and are great!
Solves problem with lack of storage.
NO NEED to buy Ipad with larger memory !!!

Kingston Wi-Drive 64 GB USB 2.0 Pocket-sized Portable Storage WID/64GB-A
Can be found on Amazon.

Free Wi-Drive Apps with Additional Features - downloadable at Apple's App Store, Google Play and Amazon App store
File Support - Wi-Drive can store any file type, but playback and viewing is based on the files that are supported by the moblie device.
Cable - Mini-USB to USB cable included
User can upload files and content from their PC/Mac to the Wi-Drive using the USB cable
Local Storage - wirelessly transfer files to and from the Wi-Drive App and the Wi-Drive hardware.
Convenient - pocket-sized for easy transportability

Rechargeable Battery - up to four hours of continuous use

Kingston Wi-Drive--Portable, Wireless Storage
Kingston's revolutionary new Wi-Drive gives you added, Flash-based storage for mobile devices, including Apple devices, Android devices, and Amazon Kindle Fire, so that you can share photos, videos, music and more with two other users. Share documents and other content, or stream media to break through the storage limitations of your mobile devices.

With integrated Wi-Fi and four hours of battery life, Kingston's new Wi-Drive offers pocket-sized portable storage and easy file sharing for Apple devices and Kindle Fire. Accessing or sharing your personal media has never been easier. Take it anywhere, in your purse, backpack or briefcase, to share your files, music, photos, videos and more.

Wi-Drive is backed by free technical support and legendary Kingston reliability. Kingston's Wi-Drive offers great portability, while delivering expanded storage and sharing options.

Portability
The Kingston Wi-Drive is Wi-Fi enabled so you can take your favorite media with you--and not be tethered to your computer. Just use your digital device as a player and display

Available in 32GB, 64GB or 128GB, the Wi-Drive adds storage space for more of your favorite music, photos, videos, PDFs and more. Take media or work files with you wherever you go--you're not limited by the storage on your portable devices any longer.

mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #57
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer
Funny thing they are are on the prohibited list - Guest Services loaned us a really long one to use in the room last week, just a regular extension cord. Free to borrow, but they would have charged us if we didn't return at the end of the cruise.
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #58
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballmouse View Post

Another thing that works well is to use the packages the some sheets or blankets come in. They are plastic, and have a zipper around them. An added layer of protection if anything leaks in your bag, or if your entire suitcase rips open, the contents are still held together.

We have one duffel bag that bleeds when it gets wet (like on the tarmac when they are loading a plane) so the plastic cubes are great.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #59
nabi
Home at Disney often!

OK, safety tats are my new go to thing!!
nabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #60
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
She's no woman, that's a man, baby!

Sorry, couldn't resist the Austin Powers reference. Skip the link if you aren't a fan of AP.
Ooops sorry.
I'm not baby, I'm a Grandma (just teasing)
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: