Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Bennettsmommy
Mouseketeer

Signature question

I've always planned to get the deluxe dining plan when going to Disney but we have decided to stay at a deluxe resort instead so I don't think we can afford both. I want to still go to mostly table service and try some signature places. Is it frowned upon to go to a signature and just get an appetizer and salad or side .
. Which signature places can you make the best meal out of an appetizer or side? Thanks
Bennettsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
River Country
DIS Jedi

I wouldn't say that it is frowned on at all. Some of the more stuffy signatures like Citricos and Narcoosee's might turn up a nose but that is the atmosphere at the GF anyway IMHO. Flying Fish is good at the Boardwalk with nice appetizers, also Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge. California Grill is by far my favorite restaurant in WDW and you dont need to order a meal the sushi and the flatbread pizza's are enough BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT they are closed until at least September 1
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

When I go to California Grill I rarely if ever order any entrees. Last time I went we had three people and made a meal out of a flatbread, three orders of sushi, a shrimp salad and one plate of pork loin. So it was a full meal with only one entree. They do not care what you order. Neither does Citricos, I've had appetizers there before.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettsmommy View Post
I've always planned to get the deluxe dining plan when going to Disney but we have decided to stay at a deluxe resort instead so I don't think we can afford both. I want to still go to mostly table service and try some signature places. Is it frowned upon to go to a signature and just get an appetizer and salad or side .
. Which signature places can you make the best meal out of an appetizer or side? Thanks
As the others have mentioned, making a meal out of appetizers or side dishes seems commonplace. We usually get an appetizer each, split an entree, and often don't get dessert at all. Enjoy!

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Bennettsmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country
I wouldn't say that it is frowned on at all. Some of the more stuffy signatures like Citricos and Narcoosee's might turn up a nose but that is the atmosphere at the GF anyway IMHO. Flying Fish is good at the Boardwalk with nice appetizers, also Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge. California Grill is by far my favorite restaurant in WDW and you dont need to order a meal the sushi and the flatbread pizza's are enough BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT they are closed until at least September 1
Luckily we are going in December!!!
Bennettsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

While I do not think the GF restaurants are stuffy, especially Narcoosees which is one of the most casual IMO, my favorites for appetizers only are Ca Grill and Jiko. Ca Grill has excellent sushi. And at Jiko, I truly think the dishes that are outstanding are all of the appetizers; I think the soups here are the best at WDW.

I'm not a dessert eater and often get a soup or salad and an appetizer for my entree. I've never been made to feel that I was supposed to spend more money.

Other choices for appetizers only that I often do:

Flying Fish has my favorite cheese plate and having that with the bread service is more than enough to stuff me.

The scallop appetizer at bluezoo is huge and rich and filling.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
happypaws
Earning My Ears

I second Jiko and CG. Last time my sister and I went we paid OOP instead of doing a dining plan simply to save money (although doing the dining plan in the past was convenient). Both places we were able to have meals out of appetizers and salads and left feeling full and on budget, as well as enjoying a glass of wine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: