Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #46
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

For the last 35 years we have each gotten an enamel charm for our bracelets on every trip. Until this year, as they've been replaced with Pandora style bracelets. We are all super depressed about that.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #47
merrysmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsBleep View Post

3. Count the people from Utah. We're from Utah, and we like to see how many we can guess are from there as well.

This is hilarious! I'm from Utah, too, and you really can almost guess who else is. A few trips ago, my husband wore a BYU hoodie and I wore a Utes sweatshirt, and we had people stop us all day to ask how we could get along! (We both went to BYU, by the way- I just got the Utes sweater because it was on clearance for $3 and I can't resist a bargain!)

Melissa
merrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #48
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

As a child, we always went to he Tuna Boat for lunch on Fridays! (don't recall what we did for dinner on Fridays.)

Now, we must eat at least one breakfast at Riverbelle Terrace and I have to have pancakes & chocolate milk (I never drink choc.milk except at this b'fast!)

We always try to make rope drop at Disneyland. We use the Hotel entrance to DCA, usually moves fast in the AM.

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #49
Melidef3405
Earning My Ears

On our anniversary, the hubby & I head over to Snow White's Wishing Well to be there at 1:50pm, the exact time we were pronounced man & wife. If it's not our anniversary, we still head over there to make a wish.

I get a popcorn bucket every trip & break it out for a snack(carefully of course) on Pirates, Haunted Mansion or Small World. If we're there on a night of Fantasmic, popcorn & a Sprite while waiting for the show. Hubby has to get ice cream at least once.

Always take a picture in the front of the castle & Partners statue. Always wear one of my Disney shirts & hubby always wears his Muppets shirts.

I shop while hubby goes on Tower of Terror & wait to take his picture at the end. While he's on CA Screamin' I take his picture before he launches & race to get his ride picture before he exits.

There's tons more I don't know if I would call them tradition or just habits, LOL!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #50
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

I love reading all these traditions to get ideas for new ones
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #51
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

DD and I usually get in an argument and have to spend some alone time from one another. Not our best tradition, but it usually happens.
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #52
Heymy
Mouseketeer

The first tradition I've continued since my childhood is staying on-site. We loved the Villas at the DLH when we were young. It's funny that we have just as many vivid memories of the hotel as the park. Our upcoming trip is suppose to be off-site, but I'm sure ill find away to at least split it up between the two.

Our new tradition is an afternoon break at Trader Sam's. They pour the best drink at the DLR and have super yummy snacks and my girls are always entertained with the experience. Can't get enough down time.

Goofy's Kitchen is our one special dinner. Again, I've been doing this since I was young and it rarely disappoints.

We love to walk around saying "Mine Mine Mine". It's the girls' opportunity to be obnoxious and have mom and dad join in.

Everything else is go with the flow.

Last edited by Heymy; 02-25-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Heymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #53
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amommy21 View Post
Our most fav is to get your hand stamped on the way out your last day so you always feel like your going back!
I love this one!!!
awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #54
faith313
Mouseketeer

We don't really have any traditions and seeing all of these great ones is making me sad that we don't. I guess our main tradition is get there as early as our family of 4 can make it out the door, and squeeze in all of the rides we can.

We have gone the past two years in a row (and stayed at PP the first time and HOJO the 2nd time) for our kid's birthdays which are less than a month apart. I guess that can be a tradition.

Since we discovered Carnation Cafe and its Fried Pickled heaven, we always try to stop, but don't make it every trip.

I would love to be able to do those cool family portraits but times are tough and we try to spend the least amount of $$ in the parks as possible. Those kind of things add up.

We do collect pins, and trade with CMs on every trip. MOST trips we will try to buy more to add to our collection. But with 3 of us that have lanyards that can get expensive, QUICK!

I will have to start trying to think of more traditions we can do. Cause so far the ones I've read are GREAT. Love the picture with the pancake one
Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #55
Vexorg
Princess Wanted

I don't have a whole lot of traditions per se, but there are a couple of things I've picked up over the years, and since several of my trips now involve my GF and her sister, I've picked up some of theirs too.

My one real tradition that I've developed while visiting the parks is that I almost always get a character sketch on each visit. Right now, I've got five of them hanging on the walls in my bedroom (in retrospect, it probably wasn't a great idea to have Cruella DeVil hanging right over my bed...)

My GF and her sister have been going to Disneyland for years, and it's only been in the past couple of years that I've started accompanying them on their trips. Their tradition is to try to come up with the most ridiculous ride photos they can think of. On our last trip in August we sprang for the Photopass Plus so we could keep all of them. This would be my favorite from that trip; you can probably guess which ones we are in this.

My Blog: http://thesledgehammer.wordpress.com - The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Vexorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #56
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorg View Post
I don't have a whole lot of traditions per se, but there are a couple of things I've picked up over the years, and since several of my trips now involve my GF and her sister, I've picked up some of theirs too.

My one real tradition that I've developed while visiting the parks is that I almost always get a character sketch on each visit. Right now, I've got five of them hanging on the walls in my bedroom (in retrospect, it probably wasn't a great idea to have Cruella DeVil hanging right over my bed...)

My GF and her sister have been going to Disneyland for years, and it's only been in the past couple of years that I've started accompanying them on their trips. Their tradition is to try to come up with the most ridiculous ride photos they can think of. On our last trip in August we sprang for the Photopass Plus so we could keep all of them. This would be my favorite from that trip; you can probably guess which ones we are in this.

Funny pics are the best, we once went on Splash Mountain 5 times in a row to get a perfect YMCA picture (just the letters with our hands)! The newspaper is hilarious.
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #57
KEmum
Earning My Ears

I've been to DL MANY times but haven't really started doing traditions until an adult.

- Character dinner. How can you resist!
- Pictures in front of the flowers and castle (that's a given though, right?)
- Have a churro
- Find some of the special things in DL/DCA (like the petrified tree, the golden spike, PUSH the trash can, the 4-leaf clover, the hanging fish photo-op, etc.)
- Enjoy some Disney treats - churros, frozen lemonade, Mickey bars
- ALWAYS get a hand stamp and ask which character it was.

We love the little things that make you stop and smell the roses. We plan enough days so we won't feel like we're running ride-to-ride!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #58
beachdreamr1229
Mouseketeer

When I was a kid, we always did our morning rides in the same order: Indiana Jones (once it opened), Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Country Bears Jamboree (still sad it ever closed), Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, then any rides we missed like Big Thunder Mountain. We also always got a churro for snack and a souvenir from the Emporium.

Now that I have my own kid, we're doing it a little differently (Submarines and Fantasyland first). As he gets older though, it will undoubtedly look more like we did it when I was a kid.

1987-1999: DL At least 1 trip per year
2000: WDW for Millenium Celebration CBR
2003: DL Grad Nite
2006-2008: DL 1 trip per year for the holidays
2013: First trip to DL with DS, DLH, PPH, APs for the year

Already in the beginning stages of planning another BIG trip to DL for 2015 (60th Anniversary), and another BIG trip to WDW in 2021 (50th Anniversary)!
beachdreamr1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #59
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Fun thread.

We have so many traditions. One I really enjoy won't be feasible this next time. Riding BTMRR during the fireworks is amazing.

Other things we do: take a photo of DH sleeping during IASW.

Take a photo of the Walt's sign as we enter the tunnel.

Riverbelle for breakfast, another we'll miss this trip.

Taking tacky pictures of ride pictures.

Popcorn and Coca Cola while waiting for the HM. This always seems to be where we get it.

Rope drop at Disneyland/DCA but rarely at WDW.

Running to Space right at close to catch that final ride.

Watching the castle change colors and castle kids goodnight. I always shed a few tears.

Hearing the park's open and closing spiel.

Raiding the Main St. candy store.

Matterhorn at night. It's the best. Same with the Storybook Boats.

Begging my kids to watch the parade.

When in DCA, Soarin' has to be the last ride.

We have more depending on where we're staying. When at the GCV, DH and I love ending the night in the Hearthstone Lounge.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #60
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

We haven't really been to the parks enough to create traditions.

BUT we all love the strawberry popsicle things sold on the ice cream carts. Those were a daily treat for us on our previous visits.

Mom and Sis have been there more than I have, they like to watch the fireworks in DTD around the bookstore.

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: