Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
SnowWhite09
DIS Veteran

What Inspired You?

What inspired you to go to Disneyland for the first time? For me it was a Disneyland ad that showed the teacup rides when I was a kid. Once I saw that I just had to go. It took me 20+ years to get there, but I finally made my first trip in 2009.

For DH it was seeing the submarine ride!

It would be great to hear other people's inspiration too!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
lovebug33
DIS Veteran

Well, my very first time, I was five, so I was inspired because my mom and dad took me there! The first time I went as an adult (without parental units), it was the 50th anniversary and I had been there for the 35th anniversary, so i wanted to go when it was a special time! I can't really explain but there is just something magical about Disney that sucks me in.
lovebug33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
woodynjessiesmomma
Earning My Ears

I am planning our first DL trip this December, primarily inspired by a DIS member's trip report from last holiday season. We were torn between going back to WDW or checking out DL since we live in the middle, but that TR about the holiday time sealed it for me that we would go this December!

woodynjessiesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Had been to WDW numerous times with our kids and decided it was time to see the Original!! Our first trip was 2003 and we fell in love with Disneyland and DLR in general. We try to switch off trips now between WDW and DLR but this year we are doing both

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

CarsLand is what drew up to try DL instead of WDW this year. That, and the one-day ABD trip into Hollywood. Unfortunately, the ABD was cancelled. It was really what convinced DH to book a DL trip too. :-(

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
pieface
Mouseketeer

Disney

I have been to Disney World 50 times since 1972. I always wanted to go to Disney Land since I was a small kid but living in Maryland I did not think I had any chances of getting there. One day I was sitting at home with my wife and I decided I wanted to go and see where it all started. We had a wonderful time and I am so glad we made the decision to go. I was amazed of the condition of the park it looked like it was new. I can say they made fantastic use of there land and I wasn't worn out like the world since the parks were much smaller. It was a wonderful experience something I will never forget.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Eclectic Goddess
My Ears are a Pair of Devil Horns

Speaking as someone who was inspired to go for the first time as an adult, rather than taken as a child, I have my DF (Disney Friend) to thank. She loves DL and used to talk fondly of her trips. Then the year came when they were doing a park-only release of a NBC figure, and her partner didn't want to go, and it was just after the Halloween decorations had gone up, AND it was the same weekend as Gay Days. I agreed to go mostly because I wanted a vacation and I thought I'd like the rides, at least, not because I was expecting to fall in love.

(I totally fell in love.)

Disneyland Trips
Fall 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~ Gay Days Anaheim
Winter 2013 ~ Off Season Magic
Fall 2014 ~ DF's Birthday Extravaganza!
*January 2015 ~ Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend*
*Spring 2015 ~ Star Wars Celebration*

Orlando Trips
Fall 2010 ~ Harry Potter Emersion Therapy / Visit to the ‘World
Spring 2012 ~ Taking the HLP on Holiday!
Spring 2014 ~ Princess Half Marathon Weekend / Wizarding World
Eclectic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

I went my first and second times as a child....

What inspired me to go as an adult?

I missed my mommy, and my daughter missed her grammy, who had died back in 2007. And while she wasn't able to go very often, my mommy loved loved loved everything Disney and Disneyland.

Now, we go to Disneyland in her memory. I walk through those gates and feel like mommy is with us.
Next trip: Solo in February 2015, Family in May 2015!
lalasmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

Walt Disney show on Sunday nights when I was a child. Every now and again they would talk about Disneyland on it and I vowed that someday I would go to Disneyland! I was raised in a single parent home and there weren't family vacations in the budget. When I became an adult I thought I would get there a lot sooner than I did but once you have a family, the budget goes haywire a lot! We finally got there when I was 35, DH was 43 and DSs were 10. It was a first for all of us as my husband was raised quite similarly to my family as well. We went in 2010 and were hooked! We luckily got to go again in 2011 and now again in July 2013. I am a lucky mom!
Disneylovers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

Mom and Stepdad were taking our younger sister and I was jealous, so they took brother and me also. :D

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
What inspired me to go as an adult?

I missed my mommy, and my daughter missed her grammy, who had died back in 2007. And while she wasn't able to go very often, my mommy loved loved loved everything Disney and Disneyland.

Now, we go to Disneyland in her memory. I walk through those gates and feel like mommy is with us.

Disneylovers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
aleighc1
Mad in Wonderland

When I went to Disneyland for the first time, I had no idea what Disneyland even was! I had never even heard of it, and I was 6 or just turned 7 at the time. My grandparents showed up at my house one day with my cousin (who was also my very best friend growing up), and my parents pulled out a packed suitcase for me and off I went! We drove (from Washington), and I still remember standing at the ticket booth while my grandfather purchased the tickets and had absolutely no clue about where we were or what we were doing there! My grandfather is now passed, and it's a time I look back on fondly.

In 10 days I am taking my family for the first time. My husband didn't get to go on vacations as a child, so this is just as much for him as it is for our children.
aleighc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
budamacdvcr
DIS Dad #737

Just experienced first trip to DL this past March. After doing WDW only so many times we decided to see where it all began as well as DCA / Carsland. We all loved the ease of getting around compared to WDW and to us the cozyness as well as seeing different parks but with the same Disney experience. DS and I enjoyed the simple things like the light in the window above the firehouse and we will go back to DL at some point.
DIS Dads #737
me DW DD (19) DS (17)

WDW 20 Trips, DCL 8 Cruises, March '13 DLR

budamacdvcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsd8700 View Post
Had been to WDW numerous times with our kids and decided it was time to see the Original!! Our first trip was 2003 and we fell in love with Disneyland and DLR in general. We try to switch off trips now between WDW and DLR but this year we are doing both
This is exactly why we decided to go to DLR too. Our kids are 11 and 9 and have been to WDW a total of 9 times already (have been going to WDW since 2005) so when DH and I were talking about this year's vacation, we decided that we wanted to do something different but still be Disney themed. Our options were DLR or DCL, since neither of us had done either of them, we couldn't decide so we let our girls decide for us. Without hesitation they wanted to go to DLR so they can see the new Carsland and ride the Matterhorn. DH and I were happy with their choice, especially me, because I had always wanted to see "Walt's Park" ever since I was a kid, but since we live in Illinois, my parents always thought it was way too expensive and such a long way to drive the 6 of us to Anaheim since my parents refused to get on an airplane. Now I am excited to say that we will be stepping on DLR property in 49 days ....not that I am counting .

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
liddomaryy
Earning My Ears

The Tom Sawyers Island Commerial , as a young child , when I saw it, I HAD to go!
liddomaryy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: