Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
DisneyMomma80
Earning My Ears

Exclamation Help with taking our 2.5 year old to WDW in a leg cast???

I posted this in the family board and was advised to check out this board for some answers. Here is our situation...we are scheduled to go to WDW in mid March. DH and I have been several times but it will be our first trip with our children 4.5 DD and 2.5 DD. We just found out that our 2.5 DD needs an emergency surgery on her foot. After the surgery, she will be in a cast for a couple of weeks and it is unlikely (depending on when the surgery is scheduled) that it would be removed prior to departure. Her doctor has advised us that she will need to be off of her foot as much as possible but won't necessarily be confined to sitting or laying all day. She WILL be able to walk some. We have always been very fortunate to never have any medical issues until now so the idea of traveling with someone who may need more assistance is new to me. Any advice/suggestions you all can provide will be greatly appreciated. Here are my questions:

1. Will she be able to ride most of the rides (those she is tall enough to ride at 39 inches) with a leg cast (the cast should be below the knee and not a full leg cast)?

2. Someone mentioned that we can get a pass to allow us to use our stroller as a wheelchair with a pass. Where do I get this pass...guest services?

3. I had made a reservation to rent a double stroller long before we learned of this surgery and would like to keep the double since my 4.5 year old will also need a place to sit as she tires easily but she does not have a medical issue. Will we still be able to get this "stoller pass" for a double stroller when my other daughter, who does not have a medical issue, will be riding in it as well? OR are we going to have to rent two singles?

4. I read on another board that using the "stoller pass" can sometimes require the party to wait for even longer periods than if we just stood in the standby line. Is this true? If so, what attractions would it apply to? DH and I could probably hold her while standing in line for a few but not all rides.

5. There is a small chance that they will remove the cast prior to our departure but she will still have to stay off her foot as much as possible. With a cast, it will be obvious that she has a medical issue but without one the Cast Members won't know. Will we still be able to get this "stoller pass" even if she doesn't have the cast?

6. Finally, I am open to any suggestions or hearing about other people's similar experiences.

Thanks again!!!
DisneyMomma80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

Hello! Hopefully I can answer a few questions for you.

1. She should be able to ride any ride you would like her to. Some of the sides are higher than others but since she is 2.5 I am guessing you or your DH will be lifting her in and out of the ride anyway. Just make sure you take more breaks than usual and watch that leg for pain from twisting it in and out of rides.

2. Yes, you will need to go to guest services for a stroller tag that is going to be used as a wheelchair. I also suggest if there are some rides that you may carry her into instead of using the stroller, that you get a GAC (guest assistance card) as well.

3. There has been a lot of mixed experiences here lately on the double stroller being used as the wheelchair if there is another child in it. Honestly, I would call down to guest relations before your trip and get the latest detail on it. Someone else that replies to this thread also might have an updated answer. I do not use a stroller so I can't really answer this one.

4. Very true. Just because a person holds a stroller pass, is in a wheelchair, or has a guest assistance card does not mean they get to 'skip the line'. Quite the contrary the line is sometimes longer than the regular line. It just means you will Have as much time as you need to board the ride. It applies to all attractions. Just check out the wait time for the ride. In my experience...if there are more than 3 people waiting in the alternate entrance( where your stroller pass or GAC will take you) it can average about a 30+ minute wait. So if the regular line is only 10 min. Long...that would definitely be a ride you would want to try and carry her on...

5. In the case it is removed you will need to still get the pass and the GAC. Explain she is still to weak to walk after tha cast and can not stand in lines for that length of time and the stroller should be easily passed as a wheelchair. I would recommend if she des get it off to maybe put compression like a ace bandage or something like it on since her leg ...because it will swell from the day. Try and get her to put her leg up as much as possible as well.first aid and any quick service restaurant will give you free ice so bring a big ziplock bag to put it in and ice down the leg. This can help with the pain too. Even getting in and out of rides is movement that will be 'foreign' to her newly surgically repaired leg so it will swell and be in pain probably faster than you think.

I hope this helps. Major thing is to take your time. You will figure out the little adaptations here and there as you go. Let us know if you have any more questions! P.s. you can also look at the sticky above in this thread "disabilities FAQ" which will give you more info as well. Have a good trip

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Agree with pp, just go to GS of the first park you go to and tell them what you told us and they will give you a sticker for your stroller and a GAC ( make sure you get both before you leave because you will need them). I can not think of any rides that would be a no go just because of the cast off the top of my head.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
DisneyMomma80
Earning My Ears

Thank you both for the helpful information. Hopefully someone will chime in on the double stroller as a wheelchair issue.
DisneyMomma80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Double stroller should be no big deal. I have heard of some getting grief in the past, but i have seen many with the tag.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: