Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

Bring a stroller

I have been debating and researching whether or not to bring a stroller for my dd who will be 5 when we go. I don't think she'll make it through the long days of walking so I wanted to get a reasonable umbrella stroller for kids up to 50lbs. Is it worth it? Suggestions on a stroller? I have been going between the jet and ignite. I don't want to spend a lot so I was leaning more towards the jet. Thoughts? Opinions?

mike : maddie samicasey
chipdale74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I would use one. Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I would hate to carry a tired 5 yr old around the park. If she does not need it then you have a place to carry your bag. Waiting for buses she could use it to rest while waiting. If she get tired she can sleep while you stroll around the park.

I know of a family whose youngest is 11 yet they still take the umbrella stroller to hold their bags/coats and such.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
cookietwinmama
Earning My Ears

I would definitely bring a stroller. We have 5 yr old twins and on our most recent trip in November we had a stroller which worked out great because one of my kids got sick and was getting tired quickly. When he wasn't in it, we used it for bags, backpack, etc. I don't know what we would have done without it.

We actually rented from Orlando Stroller Rentals in November 2011 and 2012. The rates were good and they drop it off and pick it up right at your resort.
Very convenient.
cookietwinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

I have a Mac Triumph which looks similar to the ones your looking at. I'm planning on bringing on our trip in April, I know she will be fine most of the day without it but it will nice to have when she does plus we can keep backpack etc. in there. I bought a attachment to hold dring which is nice and a side sling bag to put park maps and a jacket for dd. Both were not Mac specific any stroller would work.

As long as weight capacity of the stroller fits with your daughter I would go with what your looking at

You could head to your local toysrus and have your daughter try it out and see how it feels when you push it

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

When my son was 5, we went ahead and brought the stroller and used it sparingly (if we knew we were going to be out until midnight, he'd use it during the day - or if we were going to Epcot we would use it since it's so much walking). We stop any and all naps by age 2 (usually by 18 months) but he napped just about every day that he was in that stroller. He was exhausted from all the walking (and this is a kid who is very active and in extremely good shape).

I would suggest looking at one of the stroller rental companies in Orlando - they deliver it right to bell services at your hotel and pick up the stroller there after you check out. Definitely worth the money if you think you'll need it!

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Mom24Princesses
DIS Veteran

I miss not having one. It was a great place to hang all kinds of stuff. DH would take off the heavy backpack and push the stroller with it on the "handlebars".
ASMu--July 96; ASMu--Aug 98; PORS--June 01; ASMu--July 03; POP--Feb 04; CSR--June 04; ASMo--June 07; AoA--June 13
DCL

1st DCL Eastern MAGIC APRIL 1-8, 2006

THEN!!
2nd DCL Western MAGIC April 5-12, 2008
Mom24Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions. I think i am going to get the jet since its over $20 cheaper. She's an active child but I agree it will be a lot of walking. Plus it will be a great seat to watch the parades. She can sit when she wants to and walk when she wants to. I think it's more peace of mind for me so I don't have a cranky child who's tired of walking and a double cranky husband who will not want to carry her. :-)

Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdale74 View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions. I think i am going to get the jet since its over $20 cheaper. She's an active child but I agree it will be a lot of walking. Plus it will be a great seat to watch the parades. She can sit when she wants to and walk when she wants to. I think it's more peace of mind for me so I don't have a cranky child who's tired of walking and a double cranky husband who will not want to carry her. :-)
It's also great for snacks, when you can't find a table or bench to sit down - much more comfortable than bricks!

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

Good point. Only 177 days to go!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
SashaFarce
Mouseketeer

We took the Jet on 2 different trips with 2 different kids ages 3/4, and both times the strollers were great. I flew in with said kid on her first trip and it was a lifesaver in the airport... in line waiting for buses... when she was tired and needed a power nap as we strolled around the park. She even slept in it during a meal at Tusker House (they waived us through since it was a slow day and we took it inside with us... we now have pictures of the characters there making sleepytime poses with her). Great stroller, and anytime I bring a kid I'm bringing my own stroller.

Past Trips: Prior to 2013: 14 trips
Feb 2013 @ AoA Sept 2013 @ CBR Oct 2013 @ Pop Dec 2013 @ DLR Feb 2014 @ ASMusic

Future Trips: Apr 2014 - Disney Dream May 2014 @ ASMovies

Upcoming Trip
SashaFarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
RadGirl
i was lurking, but i'm afraid my glow gave me away..

Since Im debating the same thing, I did a search on Disboards and found that a company named "Aple"(sp?) has a special promotion where they rent the stroller for free, and free drop of/pick up at your resort. For up to a week. You only pay $5/day insurance. Now, they arent umbrella type but depending on how long u r staying it might be worth it.

Sorry i dont have more info but that was this afternoon and my brain quit on me a couple of hrs ago. Just do a search, im sure you'll find it.

Good luck!

: me : dh :dd :dd
RadGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
smithmom
Mouseketeer

Stroller!

The last time I went with my two boys they were 5 & 6. That stroller saved me! I brought a double stroller even though my oldest swore he would never go in it!! They BOTH used it a lot! It was a great way to bring some waters into the park and a good place to leave your bag when only one was in it too! Granted, it was not easy to haul on and off the buses or boats, but definitely worth it!! It was just me and them so I don't know how I would have done it without that stroller!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
lindap1
DIS Veteran

My dd will be almost 7 when we go in November this year and I'm STILL thinking about taking at least an umbrella stroller for her. There is ALOT of walking for little ones and even if she doesn't use it....it will hold things for us
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

We took kids 2, 3, 4 for first time in 2008 and rented a doubler stroller at Disney. It was $200 a week. The next year we decided to buy used Maclarens off eBay. Cost $200 for 2 strollers. We've used them many times since. Only after our oldest two hit 7&8 did we make them walk. Our 6 year old definitely still needs a stroller. Definitely recommend bringing one or renting from outside company for 5 year old.

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
MacClemsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
gotitclean
Earning My Ears

Disney has a Length of Stay rental for strollers and wheelchairs. With the Length of Stay rental, you make a one-time payment for as many days of rental that you will need. Upon visiting a theme park, show your receipt at the stroller/wheelchair rental location and you will be directed through the queue with little or no wait. There is a slight discount when purchasing the Length of Stay rental ticket. The Length of Stay option is NOT offered during peak attendance times, however, such as Christmas.
gotitclean is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: