Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

Considering staying off property - what did I forget

For the first time in about 20 years we are thinking of staying off property the next time we go to Disney World. We have been doing a lot of traveling and have stayed in some wonderful hotels with large rooms or suites and have become spoiled by the room.

We can get a 2 or 3 bedroom suite through "get a way" deals from our timeshare (NOT DVC!) for almost the same price as one non-discounted night in the YC. I do love staying on property and have come up answers to the "perks" Am I missing something?

1) EMH - ever since Disney did away with wristbands, most of the perk for us is gone. We love being in the park at night and we can do that while staying off property. You only need to stay on property if you plan on going on attractions. Anyway I am usually too tired to go since I am mostly a morning person - hitting the fitness center first thing in the morning (so morning EMH are meaningless for me)

2) being able to send packages back to the hotel. Not important anymore since we almost never buy anything and if we REALLY needed something we could always sent it to the front of the park or have it delivered directly home.

3) Hotel Theme - I must say I love the hotels but we could still enjoy them - dinner, lunch, a drink in the bar or by the pool at our favorite hotels. And I will NOT miss the teeny tiny rooms and watching TV sitting on the bed!

4) Transportation - this was a biggie but I think I have it all figured out. We can take our hotel transportation TO the park in the early afternoon. In the evening, we can head back to our fav hotel, have a drink in the bar, and take a cab back to our hotel. Extra 15 minutes or so is nothing. We do not like to drive in Disney. We do not use ME - we take a towncar to and from the airport.

Is there some perk of staying on site that I am missing? Cost is a small piece of this decision. I just cannot take the small rooms anymore and I do not want to spring for a suite or villa. They are just not worth the money. When we spend money, I like to think we are getting value and I just cannot justify the cost of a Disney Suite. I also love having a full fridge and a microwave. we do not cook on vacation but I enjoy keeping wine and snacks. Love that I can make tea without having it taste like coffee.
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaWen View Post
4) Transportation - this was a biggie but I think I have it all figured out. We can take our hotel transportation TO the park in the early afternoon. In the evening, we can head back to our fav hotel, have a drink in the bar, and take a cab back to our hotel. Extra 15 minutes or so is nothing. We do not like to drive in Disney. We do not use ME - we take a towncar to and from the airport.
Are you sure about what I bolded? This is the one thing I have to caution guests about - do you have a copy of your resort's transportation schedule to and from Disney World? When we stay offsite, we always use a car but I look at the resort's schedule. Most of the time, it's one or two times to Disney World in the morning (usually arriving at the Transportation and Ticket Center only so you have to transfer from there) and one afternoon time and one evening time (sometimes it's after the fireworks, sometimes not).

I would call and get a copy of the bus schedule before making your final plans. I don't know where you are staying but cabs would run you about $10-$20 per trip.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

Can't take advantage of the Disney Dining Plan.... if that is something that interests you.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Can you trade into DVC?

We stay offsite now and again, but wouldn't dream of doing it without renting a car whether the resort provided shuttles or not. We travel frequently too and have accepted that any resort/hotel/timeshare will offer a more 'intimate' experience when we travel with our children. We enjoy it with a 'good night john-boy' routine at night and then compare notes as to who snored the loudest in the morning.

Not for a minute do I consider most disney deluxe category rooms square footage to be comparable to what you'd find at true deluxe hotels that are comparatively priced. You're paying for the location, convenience and pixie dust. If you stay offsite you will not get the same experience. Not to say that's not a good thing (we love the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress) but it is different.

Cab fares can add up very quickly within disney property. You can google orlando taxi fare calculator to get an idea what your costs would be from whatever property you are considering. We last paid $20 plus tip just from the poly to epcot when the monorail went down. If cost isn't an issue, then a cab is viable option for you.

Not sure when you'll be visiting, but sometimes during holidays, disney parks are at capacity and only onsite guests are guaranteed entrance to 'a' park.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
fadingjamie
Up next... Mother/Daughter Trip!

Wow.. you're going to pay for a cab ride every night?

June 2001 Off Site (Grad Night), March 2009 POP, June 2010 Give a Day, Get a Day program (NCL cruise day trip), May 2011 POFQ (we got engaged!), July 2013 Poly/POR (our honeymoon!), Upcoming: August 2014 POFQ (mother/daughter trip)

fadingjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
tennessee
Mouseketeer

paying for a cab is still cheaper than paying those unreal prices for deluxe hotel. Would not pay those prices. I stay value, and save the money and go two or 3 times a year.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the insights.

Since we don't have a trip planned yet and I don't have a hotel picked out I really don't know if they offer transportation - good thought! I just assumed that everyone offered it...may not be great but it would be something.

Daily Cab fare - Given we would be saving thousands on the room, $20 - $30 a day is not bad but something to think about. We really don't want to drive - that would just kill the mood and then we would have to make sure we always had a designated driver.

We would not be there during a time where the parts could close to capacity and if they did we would not want to be there anyway

I do understand about the pixy dust - we LOVE disney hotels - hoping visiting would be enough.

Not sure what we are doing...most likely not going until 2014 - we have several non disney vacations planned this year.

If only the rooms were bigger!

Thanks for the comments - keep them coming!
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
KristinAnne
DIS Veteran

We co-own an RCI timeshare that is 1 1/2 miles from Animal Kingdom. I'd love to stay onsite, but I can't justify the costs, considering what we pay for a huge villa compared to what we would pay to stay in the same level of Disney hotel. Is there missing pixie dust? Yes, probably, but still not worth it. That said, I wouldn't go without renting a car. Definitely look into transportation or town cars you could get by the day. Doing that is still cheaper than getting a villa on property.

KristinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I would make sure you plan your trip so that it is not over a major holiday. Many times Disney will have morning EMHs every morning for the Magic Kingdom during peak periods. You don't want to be behind all of those people.

In checking off site bus schedules, don't just check how often they go, check where they go to. Some only drop off at the TTC, leaving you to make additional transfers to get to where you want to go.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

sounds like you might be a good one for the DVC.

you buy it resale - much, much cheaper than from Disney -- the only problem is disney has cut some of the places you can go because you did not buy directly from them.

since my dvc is only for Disney - that is not a problem. You bank and borrow - go you would be going every third year.

think both SSR and AKV are still good deals in the resale market.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
francie57
DIS Veteran

You should check into renting points for one of the DVC villas. You would have much more room, a kitchen, and in-room washer/dryer. We stay in the villas every trip and love them. If you rent points it would be much cheaper but you would still have all the perks of staying in Disney.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
YachtandBeachy
Earning My Ears

Question

So...why can't you just park at, say, Downtown Disney and then use Disney Transportation instead of paying for cabs?
YachtandBeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtandBeachy View Post
So...why can't you just park at, say, Downtown Disney and then use Disney Transportation instead of paying for cabs?
The DTD buses only go to/from the resorts and not the parks. They are geared for resort guest to go to DTD not a way to get to the parks
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
lucas
°o°

Downside is outside traffic! And, the feeling of leaving the magic behind.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Why don't you rent a car. Check out the transportation board for coupon codes. I have rented cars for around 250.00 for 2 weeks and 100.00 for 1 week. I think the money you save staying offsite will off set the car rental and the parking fees. We have never stayed offsite, but we may in the future. Disney prices for deluxe resorts which is what we like are getting ridiculous. I can stay at the Waldorf for about 250.00 a night including tax and that's rack rate. I would need at 35-40% off to get at a Disney resort to get that price.
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: