Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
ljcraw555
DIS Veteran

Directv Savings

I called Directv to remove Cinemax from our bill (we had a free 3 month trial), while I had the rep on the phone, I asked him about lowering our bill. Because we are not under a contract and on month to month, I told him I could drop Directv and switch to our local cable company and come back to Directv in a month or two and pay less than what I was currently paying. He said well instead of doing that how about if I give you a $10 credit each month for 6 months and if you renew your contract for 1 year, we will send you a $200 visa gift card. I renewed for 1 year. Our family does not like the local cable company and I was dreading the switch.

I told my sister about it and they did the same thing for her. So, if any of you are not under a contract with Directv and plan on staying with them, give them a call.
March 2012 - CSR
May 2010 - Offsite - Windsor Hills
May 2009 - ASMu - Family Suite - AWESOME!
October 2007 - Pop Century / June 1994 - CBR

ljcraw555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
hellow
Mouseketeer

We live out in the middle of nowhere, so we can't even get cable. But, I did notice on their website that if you provide your email address they will give you a $23 rebate over the next year. Better than nothing!

I may try to call them just to say I would switch to Dish and see if they will give me anything. Thanks for the head up!

Last edited by hellow; 01-24-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added info
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

We have Dish and I called them a few months ago and told them I wanted to turn it off because Direct was going to give me a better deal so Dish gave me a $30 credit for the next 12 months to keep me. It is always worth calling and threatening to cancel.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
jmac323
Mouseketeer

I renegotiate almost all my bills every 6 months to a year depending on when my contracts expire. I've never had a time where a company turned me down from lowering my bill. I'm surprised more people don't try this. I told some other moms in my community about what i do and they seemed shocked. This is surprising to me.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac323 View Post
I renegotiate almost all my bills every 6 months to a year depending on when my contracts expire. I've never had a time where a company turned me down from lowering my bill. I'm surprised more people don't try this. I told some other moms in my community about what i do and they seemed shocked. This is surprising to me.
Welll I've tried this and it NEVER works for me! On the home phone, I'm on the cheapest plan they have, they are like see-ya. But I don't want to give up my landline. Then on cable, Time Warner, same thing. My community has it's own cable and is in direct competition with TW. TW is lower than my community so again I'm on the cheapest plan nothing they can do
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwad View Post
Welll I've tried this and it NEVER works for me!
My grandparents tried and it didn't work for them. They just wanted their bill a little lower but were told no. My grandad told them he would cancel and they said ok...cancel. So it doesn't work for everyone.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

Thanks! Just called our contract was up and earlier this am I was looking at which package to downsize to. I called they gave me $5 offx6 months and the $200 gc that I'll take up to 3-4 weeks to deliver.
~Olivia~ 3 yrs
First visit to DL at age 11 and hooked ever since!
Disney Cruise and WDW 2/09 and 9/09
DVC Members on 3/2008 at AKV'S and 1/2009 VGC
Next Disney Trips: 2014 Disney Dream or Aulani
ToodlesRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
jmac323
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwad View Post
Welll I've tried this and it NEVER works for me! On the home phone, I'm on the cheapest plan they have, they are like see-ya. But I don't want to give up my landline. Then on cable, Time Warner, same thing. My community has it's own cable and is in direct competition with TW. TW is lower than my community so again I'm on the cheapest plan nothing they can do

Well if you are already on a cheap plan it makes sense they are not going to lower it What I mean is like when a phone or cable contract comes up I call and I do not hang up without a deal. I usually have to be on the call awhile and I go through 2-3 people at times. I don't threaten to leave if I really don't mean it. I called my car insurance recently and I've been with them 13 years and my rates went up oddly and they got them back to where they were without changing my plan in order to keep my business. I will admit, some places are not willing to negotiate but that's usually if I already have a deal with them. I negotiate and work in sales for a living so maybe I have a leg up hehe. Shoot I have called AT&T fr my mom before because she "couldn't" get them to budge. I simply told them how she was retired and cared for my grandparent and really wanted to keep their service but just couldn't pay that much and sure enough they helped. I think when they can, most people will try to help others. If I get someone stingy, I hang up and call another day too.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToodlesRN View Post
Thanks! Just called our contract was up and earlier this am I was looking at which package to downsize to. I called they gave me $5 offx6 months and the $200 gc that I'll take up to 3-4 weeks to deliver.
What department are you guys speaking to when you get offered this? I have tried before with DirectTV and gotten nothing. In fact they told me they would give me $5 off, but it never came off my bill.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
blueiis99
It's Disney Magic, you know!

My DH,does this all the time. These companies are in such competition with each other that we haven't paid full price in a long time. Every dollar saved is a disney doller spent...

Me: Jeanne DH: Jay DD 27 Sydney DD 25 Jessica DD 14 Aliyah
blueiis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber

What department are you guys speaking to when you get offered this? I have tried before with DirectTV and gotten nothing. In fact they told me they would give me $5 off, but it never came off my bill.
I called the customer service number and asked about any discounts since I'm no longer on a contract. He mentioned the $5 off and free something, I then said I heard about a $200 gc he stirred me away from it then said he'd transfer me to another dept. thinking it was sales? Spoke to this person and yep got the gc for 12 month contract.
~Olivia~ 3 yrs
First visit to DL at age 11 and hooked ever since!
Disney Cruise and WDW 2/09 and 9/09
DVC Members on 3/2008 at AKV'S and 1/2009 VGC
Next Disney Trips: 2014 Disney Dream or Aulani
ToodlesRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I am about to try this with Dish... but I won't get into a contract,so it might be for nothing..... I don't like my current rates,and I'm thinking I need an antenna...they may not want me anymore...
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

also, I was just sent an email that if I sign up for automatic payment they will take off $10 a month for 12 months. That brought our bill down to $70
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Lorien728
Mouseketeer

asking DH to try this for me!! Thanks!!

Lorien728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
AngieMouse86
Mouseketeer

Good to know this works for many people! I don't have any cable service but I'm always telling my SisIL to do something like when she calls DirecTv, but she only ever asks if they can give her movie channels for free (which they do, but $$ off the bill would be better).

Gonna try calling Dish for my grandma soon, see if I can knock a few bucks off for her.

Me - DBF -
AngieMouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: