Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #31
lundve
DIS Veteran

Happened to me - it was a smallish LEGO set $10-$15 that I bought on a lightning deal not realizing we already had that one. A pop up box told me to keep it and they would refund my credit card. I'm also a prime member.

lundve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #32
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Haven't had that happen! But what I have had, 5+ years ago, is an item with a defective part. They sent me out a new one and when I contacted them to find out where to send the other one, they told me just to keep it. It was a $100 eyeTV (receiver / recorder) for my computer. The defective part was the remote that I never used anyways, so I still have and use both on two different computers!
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #33
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCBELLE View Post
Its like a baby or wedding registry - the items come off as people buy them. That's a pretty standard process.
Oh crap. Guess I won't be doing that anymore. Might as well just announce what I bought him on Facebook too, lol.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #34
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

A few years ago I bought a copy of flags of our fathers.(great book).
The dust jacket had some minor stains on it. I emailed them and they sent me a new one and told me to donate the other one to a lbrary or school.
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #35
Jankam
Earning My Ears

Yes, I have had that too, most recently with a $6 clock. Good customer service goes a long way!
Jankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #36
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
This has NEVER happened to me. I order a LOT from Amazon too.

Maybe I need to order a mattress and try to return it.

JUST KIDDING!
I know, right? I have a feeling it wouldn't have happened if I tried to return the $200 stroller I bought last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPirateShopGirl View Post
I have never been told to keep an item I tried to return.... but I did get a refund for a Kindle book I purchased one day and found my paperback copy two days later. Apparently there's a no questions asked return policy on ebooks within 7 days of purchase.

And yes, Amazon makes impulse purchases AMAZINGLY easy. There's a reason for that. I can almost smell the 100% Kona peaberry coffee beans I ordered yesterday afternoon that will be on my porch this evening...
That's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankam View Post
Yes, I have had that too, most recently with a $6 clock. Good customer service goes a long way!
Absolutely!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #37
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPirateShopGirl View Post
I have never been told to keep an item I tried to return.... but I did get a refund for a Kindle book I purchased one day and found my paperback copy two days later. Apparently there's a no questions asked return policy on ebooks within 7 days of purchase.

And yes, Amazon makes impulse purchases AMAZINGLY easy. There's a reason for that. I can almost smell the 100% Kona peaberry coffee beans I ordered yesterday afternoon that will be on my porch this evening...
Gee thanks! Now I have to go to Amazon and buy more stuff ( just spent oodles there last week ) because I love those coffee beans!

I used to buy them at TJ MAxx when I was a manager..the minute they got off the truck they were mine...all mine!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
meg8017
Mouseketeer

I had it happen at Christmas time. I had ordered a few things and then Amazon dropped the price 2 days later so I reordered. I did not know that they charge return shipping now. (I don't know when they started, I have never been asked to pay return shipping in the past). Well luckily one item they told me to just keep (a stuffed angry bird). I had 2 other small toys that it just wasn't worth paying to send back. Unfortunately I am stuck with duplicates now though.

ASMo : March 2002, Aug. 2002
CSR: May 2003 engaged in Disney
WL: Aug 2004
Disneymoon! BC and WL May/June 2005
Poly: May 2006
POP Jan 31-Feb 6 2010
CBR Oct 23-30 2011
POFQ May 4-11 2013!
meg8017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #39
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

yup- a package of socks that were too big.

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8t Fan View Post
Wowsers ! Judgmental much?
Seriously? I don't set Amazon's return policies,

I'm not implying OP is not being truthful; what is true is that none of us can know what really happened here. Posting just to criticize another poster is not very helpful.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #41
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

When I worked at Spiegel catalog years ago, we used to do this often. If it would cost more to send the item back, we would tell them to either keep it or if it was an expensive item like furniture, they had to donate it to a charity and then send us the original donation receipt for credit.

Sometimes it's just not cost effective to process the return.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #42
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I worked CS there from '99 through '02, and we did it then, too. Case by case basis, and not by pop-up, but as far as I know they have ALWAYS done this. They make incredibly good business decisions, and not having to return small items hits both the "make customers happy" aspect and the "keep costs lower" aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
No but recently I returned some items I got for Christmas (2 people used my wishlist and it didn't update... which it should... and so I got multiples). They deducted the return shipping from me (unopened, unused, GIFTED items). I wrote a letter and got no reply. I've had great Customer Service from Amazon in the past... so I am hoping this is unusual...
That's a situation where you need to chat with a CS rep. It's an outlier situation, where either there's been a problem with the Wish List (very very UNlikely FWIW) and they will want to know this, or the purchaser didn't use the WL properly (very very likely, very very common, and very very frustrating for the recipient) and they will need to make a *personalized* decision on whether or not to cover your shipping costs back.

It's not something to just fill out the online form about.

And it's not judgy or even rude to say that a problem with the WL itself is really unlikely...it's just the reality of the situation. Most WL problems that I saw were caused by the buyers simply, and innocently, doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
I am thinking about quitting the wishlist feature (or hiding it to just be a list for myself) because of their issues. It shouldn't be that difficult. I use it because I have a lot of out of town family and try to make things easier... and it helps amazon because then they get the business. But might go back to paper lists.
People use the WL feature strangely because they don't want the recipient to see, or they are buying things for themselves, etc etc. it's just the way of the wish-list-world.

Paper lists will NEVER update automatically, LOL....

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Oh crap. Guess I won't be doing that anymore. Might as well just announce what I bought him on Facebook too, lol.
He made the wish list. He obviously wants those items. There's no surprise happening when buying from someone's WL. If HE chooses to look at the list, and yes you do have to specifically click to see what's been purchased, I don't think that should change what you are doing. If you don't buy directly from the WL, then you might end up in the multiple-purchases situation and have to deal with return shipping costs etc. If he wants to ruin the "surprise" ("surprise" being dubious since he knows you know he wants those exact items) I don't see why it should change your habits.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #43
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

And it's not judgy or even rude to say that a problem with the WL itself is really unlikely...it's just the reality of the situation. Most WL problems that I saw were caused by the buyers simply, and innocently, doing it wrong.

People use the WL feature strangely because they don't want the recipient to see, or they are buying things for themselves, etc etc. it's just the way of the wish-list-world.

Paper lists will NEVER update automatically, LOL....
OK so maybe the wishlist didn't malfunction. Maybe the way it's implemented in the system is just made to cause problems... might need an overhaul on that. Like when someone buys an item it says "We saw you viewed this from a wishlist... would you like it to be removed from the wishlist so it is not purchased again?"... etc.

HAHA yeah paper lists won't update... but I would make different lists for different people. Instead of having one big "registry" that apparently isn't all that user friendly...
Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #44
Debbie7452
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
happened to my sister, it was an order for oatmeal
OK, I've got to know...why would you try to return oatmeal?
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #45
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

I've had that happen twice. I can't remember what it was for the first time. The second time I ordered the wrong style dog collar. I indicated that it was my fault, I clearly didn't select the style I actually wanted, and on the next page was the message to keep it.

Another time I contacted them about my Kindle Fire. I don't know exactly what caused it but it had stopped charging. They sent a new charger free of charge. Even with the new charger it wouldn't charge so I contacted them again.

This time they had me print out a shipping label, free return shipping, and send it back. I said that I wouldn't be able to drop it off at UPS until the next day and they replied that was no problem, they would send out my new Kindle right away.

The next day I dropped off the old one and waiting on my porch when I got home was my new Kindle. That one has worked fine ever since.

We're not Prime Members either, never have been.
Belle0101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: