Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Amazon "Keep this item and receive a refund!" message

Has anyone had this happen before?

I made an impulse purchase from Amazon (story of my life), and this morning after I filled out a return request, I got a pop-up saying "Keep this item and receive a refund! It's on us! As a valued customer, you don't need to return this item to get a refund."

Granted, the item was only $18, but I've never heard of a company doing that. We've had Prime for a little over a year now and I definitely do more shopping than I did before Prime (it's hard to beat the free two-day shipping), but still -- it was a nice surprise.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Mom 2 a Princess
Disney planner of the family

Never had that happen, but what a nice surprise!
Mom 2 a Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

That happened to us once...it was a pair of headphones.
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
donalducky
Mouseketeer

Yes, this happened to me once. I purchased The Pacific bluray from the UK Amazon website and because it would have cost so much to ship it back they told me to just keep it. It really makes me want to purchase more from them because of their great customer service and return policies.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
wvjules
DIS Veteran

It happened to me once. It was a book.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

It happened to me once....cover for my phone.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
scard192
DIS Veteran

happened to my sister, it was an order for oatmeal
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Had it twice--once for an optical cable, and again for a Gentle Leader I wanted to try on our dog.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

If the item is more to ship back and cannot really be restocked it is written off.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
ljcraw555
DIS Veteran

Staples does that A LOT for our business! They tell us to keep or donate it to a shelter.
March 2012 - CSR
May 2010 - Offsite - Windsor Hills
May 2009 - ASMu - Family Suite - AWESOME!
October 2007 - Pop Century / June 1994 - CBR

ljcraw555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

No but recently I returned some items I got for Christmas (2 people used my wishlist and it didn't update... which it should... and so I got multiples). They deducted the return shipping from me (unopened, unused, GIFTED items). I wrote a letter and got no reply. I've had great Customer Service from Amazon in the past... so I am hoping this is unusual...
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
lisalis
Mouseketeer

We just had that happen to us earlier this year. My son was taking an online class for the first time & it was cheaper to buy the books through Amazon than through the bookstore. The next day, he came home & said his TAG teacher gave him the books for his class We immediately e-mailed to cancel the book order. One book had already shipped, but we got the message from Amazon to just keep it.

Fast forward a month. Our bill still hadn't been credited for the book, so my husband contacted Amazon. They said they didn't know who gave us that message, but we needed to return the book No big deal to us, but I wish they would make up their mind. I almost recycled the book since it was not a hardcover.
lisalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalis View Post
We just had that happen to us earlier this year. My son was taking an online class for the first time & it was cheaper to buy the books through Amazon than through the bookstore. The next day, he came home & said his TAG teacher gave him the books for his class We immediately e-mailed to cancel the book order. One book had already shipped, but we got the message from Amazon to just keep it.

Fast forward a month. Our bill still hadn't been credited for the book, so my husband contacted Amazon. They said they didn't know who gave us that message, but we needed to return the book No big deal to us, but I wish they would make up their mind. I almost recycled the book since it was not a hardcover.
That's too bad. I was leery about it so took screenshots of the messages I got. It sounds like it works out for most people, though, and hey -- you were still able to return the book and get your refund. It's a good thing you didn't recycle it!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
No but recently I returned some items I got for Christmas (2 people used my wishlist and it didn't update... which it should... and so I got multiples). They deducted the return shipping from me (unopened, unused, GIFTED items). I wrote a letter and got no reply. I've had great Customer Service from Amazon in the past... so I am hoping this is unusual...
Why should you get shipping refunded? That is not Amazon's policy. Shipping is usually only refunded for defective items.

OP - yes, I have had this happen three times for defective items I wanted to return.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Why should you get shipping refunded? That is not Amazon's policy. Shipping is usually only refunded for defective items.

OP - yes, I have had this happen three times for defective items I wanted to return.
Perhaps because the "wish list" did not operate properly and if it had there would not have been anything to return?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: