Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
southlake
Mouseketeer

Has anyone booked their cruise directly on DCL website?

I am looking to secure a reservation for us ASAP. It looks like our category class of rooms may sell out soon (only 1 option left for that particular week). I submitted an online quote request to Dreams Unlimited last night but did not receive an e-mail or phone call today. I know they specify they have up to 2 days to respond to you but I'm starting to get anxious the room we want will sell out before DU decides to get back to me. So.. I'm looking at just actually booking it on DCL website. Is that dumb? Am I losing some savings by doing it that way?
southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

The cost of the cruise is the same, whether you book on DCL's site or with a TA. The only "savings" is that some TA's will offer you an onboard credit as a small token of appreciation.

Personally, I usually book directly with DCL. If I need to make changes, or when I make payments, I don't have to wait for an email from a TA...I eliminate the middle man. I'd much rather be in control of my own reservation....as you're seeing now by waiting for them.

Edited to add:....Sometimes, on "special" cruises, travel agents will book large amounts of rooms that they can offer at a lower rate, but that's not too often.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
bethann77
Mouseketeer

I agree with the previous poster. I have booked a cruise with DCL thru the website before. I prefer to book the ressie myself and have full control of it.
bethann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
southlake
Mouseketeer

Ok, you all have convinced me I like to be in control of my reservation too and the fact that I've wasted a day/24 hours waiting for DU to respond to my e-mail is already annoying!
Upcoming: Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, May '14
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlake View Post
Ok, you all have convinced me I like to be in control of my reservation too and the fact that I've wasted a day/24 hours waiting for DU to respond to my e-mail is already annoying!

Since they are a sponsor of this Board, don't be surprised if you get a response from them on here.....but don't feel pressured.

Once I make up my mind to book, I want to do it NOW and make sure I get the room I want.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
southlake
Mouseketeer

Ok I'm trying to actually book our room right now, and it's telling me the category room selection is unavailable and wants me to select a GTY room. It says it's guaranteeing me the ship, sailing date, and rate, and that my category room will be assigned by the time documents are received. When are documents received? Should I go ahead and book this? We want to go on this particular week and I'm trying to book an oceanview room (no verandah).
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
justmestace

Quote:
Ok I'm trying to actually book our room right now, and it's telling me the category room selection is unavailable and wants me to select a GTY room. It says it's guaranteeing me the ship, sailing date, and rate, and that my category room will be assigned by the time documents are received. When are documents received? Should I go ahead and book this? We want to go on this particular week and I'm trying to book an oceanview room (no verandah).

Two to three weeks before the cruise, you'll get the docs. But sometimes you find out your room assignment sooner, by checking your reservation online.
You will be GUARANTEED a stateroom in the category you want, never lower, and sometimes, a magical upgrade.
Book it! If it's the week you want, guarantee category, and the ship and ports you want, then it will be fine!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
diz-nee dreamz
Earning My Ears

I'm sure that's frustrating. I was going to say that sometimes you can make the ressie thriugh DCL then transfer it to a TA to get the onboard credit.
diz-nee dreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
southlake
Mouseketeer

Ok thank you! One more question, it looks like the only dinner seating is second seating. What time is that?? I don't see a time posted on the DCL website for the Fantasy!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
justmestace

Quote:
Ok thank you! One more question, it looks like the only dinner seating is second seating. What time is that?? I don't see a time posted on the DCL website for the Fantasy!
They've changed the dining times, so I'm not 100% certain....7:30-8:00.....I prefer late dining. It gives us more time after coming back from excursions, to get ready for dinner. But early seating usually works better for people with small children...so early seating on Disney usually sells out faster, and is full of small kids.

If you'd prefer early (6:00-ish) you can put in a request and may get it changed before the cruise, or you can request to be moved the first day you get onboard.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz-nee dreamz View Post
I'm sure that's frustrating. I was going to say that sometimes you can make the ressie thriugh DCL then transfer it to a TA to get the onboard credit.

Some of the TA's have started to ask people to not do that. I'm pretty sure it makes them feel "used".
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz-nee dreamz View Post
I was just doing this with DU yesterday they will transfer your cruise as long as the deposit has been paid but not the full balance they will still give you an on board credit, they were offering me 50$ I declined I didn't think losing control was worth 50$
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #13
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

I booked my first cruise though the website and since then have used DU. I am a control freak but Tammy is always on top of things. I get a really nice onboard credit that usually covers all my tips and some of my excursion. Once you learn to let go and trust your agent and they get to know you, you really benefit. When I booked on the website I got second seating and had to fight to change it on board. Now Tammy always gets me main seating (which I prefer since we have a small child). She also gives me great advice, puts requests on my ressie, and on opening day got me a great deal. I got a email before hand about all the new cruises for 2014. I didn't have to deal with the crazy wait time on the wesbite on the phone like other people did. She knew me well enough to make decisions and I was able to go to work and not worry about it.

Overall I don't feel like I lose control because she is a great agent. A category I initally wanted on the 2014 cruise sold out and she said she would keep trying until it opened up something I don't have time to do. I work and have a child I don't have time to check a computer and sit on a phone. (we ended up booking a higher category for $70 and DH liked that one better anyway so we are keeping it).

Do what makes you comfortable but for me waiting a day for a call back is well worth it.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents

If you book your own reservation then transfer to a TA they will reduce your OBC. I prefer to book my own. I never use a TA that is strictly email based. Tried using a TA this time, took me 3 days to get a response. Gave up and booked my own room.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover. - Mark Twain
cruisinwithmaandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

I usually use a ta but dcl is so easy to book and I love managing my own reservation. Did my own and my only regret is no obc. I was paying w my Disney visa so I planned on some obc. Then I used points from another card to make a payment and that wiped out my obc. Otherwise no troubles.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: