Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
Fredericks44
Earning My Ears

Poly - safe size?

Roughly what is the size of the safe in the rooms at the poly? I am debating bringing my SLR camera but don't want to carry it all the time. Would it fit in the safe? With or without its bulky bag?
Also, I'm assuming the safe is locked with a key... Is the key on some kind of keychain or should I plan on bringing one in order not to lose it (so I can secure the key in my backpack while out and about).

Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

Not sure about a camera. When we were there in September, we put a 15 inch laptop and an ipad in the safe and I don't remember how much room was leftover after that. Sorry. If it doesn't fit, you can check it at the front desk. When we checked out of the Poly, we checked our bags with bell services and checked our ipad/laptop with the front desk. Also the safe had a combination lock on it that you set with your choice of numbers.
Good luck.
MLinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

The safes are perfect for things like ipads, smartphones, small cameras (that fit in a pocket), very small laptops, passports, etc. If the SLR camera is one of those super high-quality cameras that are the bulkier kind that you normally wear with a strap around the neck, I really don't think it would fit. The safe is very shallow. I'd guess (based entirely on memory) that the dimensions are something like 1' square by about 4" deep.

I agree with the previous poster who mentioned leaving it at the Poly front desk, unless you want to bring it with you.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Fredericks44
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for your replies! Thinking that I may just bring smaller camera so that i have one less thing to keep track of.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

OP, I feel I must apologize to you. I gave you totally outdated information earlier. I was looking at a Poly pics thread just now and saw a more recent photo of a Poly safe than what I remember. The safe in this photo looks plenty large enough to hold just about any camera I can imagine, even a SLR kind. Please look a few photos down on this post to see the photo: http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1575. It's apparently in the Samoa building what is what I (thought) I was familiar with. They must have upgraded the safes at some point as well when they upgraded the rooms.

Again, sorry for steering you wrong earlier.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Fredericks44
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968
OP, I feel I must apologize to you. I gave you totally outdated information earlier. I was looking at a Poly pics thread just now and saw a more recent photo of a Poly safe than what I remember. The safe in this photo looks plenty large enough to hold just about any camera I can imagine, even a SLR kind. Please look a few photos down on this post to see the photo: http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1575. It's apparently in the Samoa building what is what I (thought) I was familiar with. They must have upgraded the safes at some point as well when they upgraded the rooms.

Again, sorry for steering you wrong earlier.
Oh my gosh, no worries! I'm not going until November! I appreciate your help and I especially appreciate you taking the time to update me!

November seems so far away... So all I can really do is lay awake at night worrying and planning every last disney detail, down to the safes in the room.

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

My DW's DSLR fits in no problem along with 2 iPads. It's got the room but maybe not with a bulky camera bag.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Fredericks44
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller
My DW's DSLR fits in no problem along with 2 iPads. It's got the room but maybe not with a bulky camera bag.
That's what I was thinking... Put the camera in safe without the huge, bulky bag. It's funny, I was really excited to get this camera but its a huge pain to bring along, almost like a third child! I'm sure it will be easier when my kids are older!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
macnodos
DIS FAN

The safe is not very big and from what I remember an SLR will not fit. Over the years and many trips I have only locked up cash and and my wife some jewelry. I have always just left my laptop and DSLR camera out and never had a problem.
macnodos is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: