Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
jm106
DIS Veteran
 
jm106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,756

Getting from Ft Lauderdale Airport to port and hotel

We are a family of 4, 2 kids(will need to take car seats)
I am wondering, should we reserve a car service or just grab a cab from fort Lauderdale airport to Hotel at Port of Miami? We fly in a day ahead.
After, we plan to stay 2 nights in Hollywood beach, again, car service or cab (and Why chose one over the other?) Then back to FLL after.
Car service seems like a lot more $.
Thanks for shanring experiences
__________________



7 days Hilton May 2009, 6 days CBR May 2011, 9 days ASMusic/AKL August 2012, Disney Wonder 5 nt Cozumel/Castaway Cay April 2013, 10 day split/Orlando IRC October 2014
jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 316

Hi! I did this back in January. I checked out all the options. The best bet was a one way rental for both ways. Pick up in Ft Lauderdale and drop off the next day in miami airport. Free shuttle takes you to the port. After the cruise you take the shuttle to Miami airport and pick up the car, then drop off at Ft Lauderdale when you are heading home.

I paid around $30 each way. Your 2nd leg might be a little bit more since you need the car for longer then I did. Check Priceline and Hotwire as well as the car rentals agencies themselves. There are discount coupons around, but a lot of them don't work for short rentals.

Good luck.

PS..The Miami port can be a little hectic after the cruise. If you wanted to avoid that you might think about taking a taxi to the airport instead of waiting for the shuttle. The taxi will cost you a flat fee of $24.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
jm106
DIS Veteran
 
jm106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,756

thanks, I consdered a car rental but I really dont want to spend my time picking up/drop off cars and getting shuttle to port. We are already staying at the port to save time since we arrive late friday night.
__________________



7 days Hilton May 2009, 6 days CBR May 2011, 9 days ASMusic/AKL August 2012, Disney Wonder 5 nt Cozumel/Castaway Cay April 2013, 10 day split/Orlando IRC October 2014
jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

For 4 people, a taxi, shuttle or car service are all going to be about the same price - $60-70. I don't know if you meant you were bringing your own carseats, but I doubt the taxis would have them, probably not the shuttles, and maybe the car service.

Taxi would probably be the easiest as you just walk out the door and get one. SAS is a shuttle people have recommended.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
jm106
DIS Veteran
 
jm106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
For 4 people, a taxi, shuttle or car service are all going to be about the same price - $60-70. I don't know if you meant you were bringing your own carseats, but I doubt the taxis would have them, probably not the shuttles, and maybe the car service.

Taxi would probably be the easiest as you just walk out the door and get one. SAS is a shuttle people have recommended.

Nancy
Yes, I will bring my own car seats. I was thinking same about taxi, no waiting or reserving, Seems like so many ppl use car services and I didntknow why. I thought taxis were flat fee from airport not pp? That is why I assumed cheaper then car service.
__________________



7 days Hilton May 2009, 6 days CBR May 2011, 9 days ASMusic/AKL August 2012, Disney Wonder 5 nt Cozumel/Castaway Cay April 2013, 10 day split/Orlando IRC October 2014
jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm106 View Post
Yes, I will bring my own car seats. I was thinking same about taxi, no waiting or reserving, Seems like so many ppl use car services and I didntknow why. I thought taxis were flat fee from airport not pp? That is why I assumed cheaper then car service.
Taxis are a flat fee, $24, from MIA to POM, but not from FLL and not from MIA to a hotel, just to the port (the hotels aren't really AT the port, they are in downtown Miami across the bridge from the port). I don't think the taxi fare from MIA to a hotel is much more than $24, but it isn't a guaranteed flat $24.

Taxis are usually the same price for 1 person or 4 (sometimes there is a $1-2 added for an extra passenger). Shuttles charge per passenger and sometimes kids are free but not always.

I just saw a few people traveling on my cruise quote car service from FLL to a hotel in Miami at about $80.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
jm106
DIS Veteran
 
jm106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Taxis are a flat fee, $24, from MIA to POM, but not from FLL and not from MIA to a hotel, just to the port (the hotels aren't really AT the port, they are in downtown Miami across the bridge from the port). I don't think the taxi fare from MIA to a hotel is much more than $24, but it isn't a guaranteed flat $24.

Taxis are usually the same price for 1 person or 4 (sometimes there is a $1-2 added for an extra passenger). Shuttles charge per passenger and sometimes kids are free but not always.

I just saw a few people traveling on my cruise quote car service from FLL to a hotel in Miami at about $80.

Nancy
Thanks Ill look into it. We decided to fly into Miami and out of FLL anyway so I would not use same car service. Taxi probably the easiest.
__________________



7 days Hilton May 2009, 6 days CBR May 2011, 9 days ASMusic/AKL August 2012, Disney Wonder 5 nt Cozumel/Castaway Cay April 2013, 10 day split/Orlando IRC October 2014
jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
DVCAKL
Earning My Ears
 
DVCAKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 19

Port of Miami Transportation

I'm looking for help on hotel and transportation from the airport in Ft. Lauderdale to the Port of Miami. We've cruised 2 x before with Disney, but they were both out of Port Canaveral. I'm also looking for ideas of things to do on the day we get off the ship before heading back to the airport in Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
DVCAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
McDonald5
Mouseketeer
 
McDonald5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 132

A few people on our facebook cruise page mentioned shuttles from Fort Lauderdale to Miami (and back). 2 companies have been mentioned so far. SAS transport and Eagle Shuttle Service. Both seem to be the same price (about $15 pp). I haven't decided what we'll be doing but we have some time to decide. HTH
__________________
DH, DW(Me), DD9, DD7, DS5

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Disneylandfanatic
Annual Passholder since 2008
 
Disneylandfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 249

On our last cruise out of Miami we used SAS to get us from our Ft. Lauderdale hotel to Miami and then from Miami to the FLL airport. We were VERY pleased with the service expecially for that great price and I will use them again for every other cruise that I take out of Miami...I highly recommend.
__________________



Completed:
January 4, 2014: Fantasy Western Carribean

"To all who come to this happy place: Welcome."-Walt Disney
Disneylandfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
DVCAKL
Earning My Ears
 
DVCAKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 19

Thank you both so much! I'm going to look up SAS right now!
DVCAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
MCO mama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orlando burbs
Posts: 87

No idea if you're traveling with children, but Butterfly World is 20-25 minutes north of Ft Lauderdale airport -- fun to see the butterflies & there is a great shaded playground just outside. Or -- closer to the airport Hollywood Beach boardwalk. Beach, restaurants, walking, and playground there, too.
MCO mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
DVCAKL
Earning My Ears
 
DVCAKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO mama
No idea if you're traveling with children, but Butterfly World is 20-25 minutes north of Ft Lauderdale airport -- fun to see the butterflies & there is a great shaded playground just outside. Or -- closer to the airport Hollywood Beach boardwalk. Beach, restaurants, walking, and playground there, too.
Yes, we are traveling with an 11 year old. Thanks for the suggestions.
DVCAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
jm106
DIS Veteran
 
jm106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,756

I wanted to update incase others are looking at hotels and transportation.
We booked crown plaza miami airport. They have a complimentary shuttle from MIA to hotel. They also have a service they partner with to take guests to port, $10 each! They were fine with getting us there for our 11:30 PAT
__________________



7 days Hilton May 2009, 6 days CBR May 2011, 9 days ASMusic/AKL August 2012, Disney Wonder 5 nt Cozumel/Castaway Cay April 2013, 10 day split/Orlando IRC October 2014
jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm106 View Post
We are a family of 4, 2 kids(will need to take car seats)
I am wondering, should we reserve a car service or just grab a cab from fort Lauderdale airport to Hotel at Port of Miami? We fly in a day ahead.
After, we plan to stay 2 nights in Hollywood beach, again, car service or cab (and Why chose one over the other?) Then back to FLL after.
Car service seems like a lot more $.
Thanks for shanring experiences
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCAKL View Post
I'm looking for help on hotel and transportation from the airport in Ft. Lauderdale to the Port of Miami. We've cruised 2 x before with Disney, but they were both out of Port Canaveral. I'm also looking for ideas of things to do on the day we get off the ship before heading back to the airport in Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I've merged your 2 threads since they are asking the same questions
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.