Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Exclamation Computer Help Needed!-*Update* Replaced with new model

I just bought a new computer at the end of December and I've been having freezing problems since turning it on.

It's got Windows 8 and the problems started before it was even connected to the internet.

HP has had me reset the computer to factory conditions and I have run several tests on it. They don't seem to have a clue what is wrong.

In addition to the freezing I've had blank webpages (they were fine before but when I go back to that tab it's white), messages that I need JavaScript (although the next time I go to that game it works fine), and a blank dark blue screen with nothing on it (can't exit the screen, seems frozen).

Any ideas? I've had enough now. I've wasted about 10hrs or more on the phone with HP.

I'm now using Internet Explorer, before the resetting of the computer I was using FireFox. HP had me remove Norton and install McAfee. I've added iTunes.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013

Last edited by squirrel; 05-21-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Exchanged for new model
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Fyrefly
Mouseketeer

Can you still return it? Sounds like you have a lemon and you're going to have a very hard time diagnosing problems with Windows 8 machines until its been out longer. Could be some twitchy thing in the software you could fix but it might be hardware too.

Especially as HP has records of you calling so much I would think you'd be able to swing a return or exchange at this point, just be persistent.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Yep, I've asked for a supervisor to arrange a return. I was suppose to get a call on Friday, called again today. Was told it takes 24-48 working hours. So maybe someone will call tomorrow.

Problem is all the information (data) from my old computer is now on this one. I have no way of storing it other than to buy an external hard drive. I don't want to have to spend $60 or more for something that I won't use again.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel
Yep, I've asked for a supervisor to arrange a return. I was suppose to get a call on Friday, called again today. Was told it takes 24-48 working hours. So maybe someone will call tomorrow.

Problem is all the information (data) from my old computer is now on this one. I have no way of storing it other than to buy an external hard drive. I don't want to have to spend $60 or more for something that I won't use again.
Why won't you use a new ext HD again? They are great for backing up your computer. What do you use now for a backup? HD failures do happen and when they are gone, usually no way to get your data back.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
rantnnravin
Whaddya mean there's no room in the suitcase? YOU CAN LAND A PLANE IN THERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
Why won't you use a new ext HD again? They are great for backing up your computer. What do you use now for a backup? HD failures do happen and when they are gone, usually no way to get your data back.
I totally agree. This happened to me! I got a brand new computer with a faulty HD and the whole thing just went kaputsky one day. I now have an Apple Time Capsule ( spent a whole lot more than 60 bucks - but it does automatic wireless backup so i don't have to think about it. - AND i have had to go back and find something that i had deleted so, yeah, well worth it)
So, imho, an external HD is a necessity, not an "extra $60 on something you won't use again" - but rather an investment that you will use on a regular basis and *hope* to never have to use again.

rantnnravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
amcnj
DIS Veteran

If you really are deadset against a backup drive, there are some free cloud storage backup sources, or if you don't have many files you could email them to yourself as attachments and then reopen and save them when you get a new (and hopefully improved!) machine.
amcnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

One more thing to add, sorry it is off-topic. However; this thread should have been posted in another forum anyway, so I guess off-topic doesn't matter. Backing up to an EXT-HD is important. I also think it is important to have an off site backup too. Wether you use a cloud service or having another EXT-HD that you backup and store in another location.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that the free cloud services usually only offer 2gb of space. So if you have more than this, then you will have to pay. The costs are not very high anyway. Box.net is offering 50gb for free, or at least they were last week. I find Dropbox the best, but there are a lot of choices out there. I subscribe to two, Dropbox and Crashplan.

Last edited by clarkshel; 02-20-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
cglaura
I still love the smell of Love's Baby Soft

I had major issues w/ Windows 8 and Norton.

Came to find out that Windows 8 has it's own anti-virus and anti-malware built in (Window's Defender. Not to be confused with the old version of Defender, which was strictly anti-malware. The Win8 version is both.)

Here is some info on Windows Defender:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...efender#1TC=t1

Once I uninstalled Norton and re-enabled Defender my computer has been perfect.

Of note:

I hate the apps. When I get to the opening tiles I click Desktop to get to the "old school" type of desktop.

To disable things opening in apps instead of the desktop, in Internet Explorer, go to Tools/Internet Options/Programs Tab. Choose how to open links: on the dropdown box choose - Always in internet explorer on the desktop. And uncheck the box Open internet tiles on the desktop.

For images, etc. In Windows Exporer/File Manager. right click on any image you want to change (jpg, bmp, etc). Choose Properties... Then Opens with: choose Windows Photo Viewer (or whatever program you like to view images).

Any program you want available on your taskbar on the old type desktop: right click a tile and choose "Pin to taskbar". Then when you go back to the desktop you should see the icon on your taskbar on bottom (or top or side depending on you your screen is laid out.)

A clever person turns great troubles into little ones...
and little ones into none at all.

The pessimist complains about the wind...
The optimist expects it to change...
The realist adjusts the sails.

I have a freak flag and I'm not afraid to fly it!!!

cglaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I would return it if you have had nothing but problems since Dec. Sounds like it is a problem that can't resolved easily

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Fyrefly
Mouseketeer

Glad to hear the return is going to happen. And I'll echo the others the fact that you don't have any kind of backup is scary! Hard drives can go at the blink of an eye and the more places you have your data backed up, the safer you'll be. You can find some very nice drives of varying sizes and prices on Amazon and a lot of them even have automatic backup software. So you could connect the drive to your home wireless network and the drive will just make a backup itself at specified intervals so you don't have to remember.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I've never had an external Hard Drive. I guess if I was going to get one I should have bought one during the Boxing Week sales. Any recommendations? Is a portable one better? I want something easy to use. Wouldn't have to stay connected as I don't really have a ton of stuff that needs to be backed up.

Still waiting for someone from HP to call.

Last edited by squirrel; 02-20-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've never had an external Hard Drive. I guess if I was going to get one I should have bought one during the Boxing Week sales. Any recommendations? Is a portable one better? I want something easy to use. Wouldn't have to stay connected as I don't really have a ton of stuff that needs to be backed up.

Still waiting for someone from HP to call.
Western Digital makes a good external HD. Portable ones are not necessarily better, just more portable. If you don't have a need to carry the drive all over, then a regular Ext drive would be sufficient for you. Besides, the portable drives are more money than the same size external drives.

Since you are mentioning boxing week sale, I take it you are from Canada. Check out MemoryExpress or TigerDirect.ca. They both have good deals.

If you go the route of a cloud backup service, then you don't need to worry about ask ext HD.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Please get yourself a portable HD. Plug it into the computer usb port and it will just come up as another drive. Just copy and paste the files onto the portable HD. I will say when you get the new computer do some research and figure out what pre-installed software you can remove. The computer manufacturer gets paid to put that junk on the new computer and most of it is junk. As said no anti virus should be installed, get almost everything off it. There is a program called "PC decrapifier", run it and it will scan the HD and give you a list of all programs that are installed. Most of the time it will also tell you if you actually need those programs. Lastly, if you are not coping well with Metro or i guess it is called Surface you can install a program called "classic shell". It will reinstall the start button again and when you turn on the computer it will go right to the desktop with the start button and will run very similar to windows 7. Lastly, there are two nice online storage groups...1. Skydrive - if you have a MS Live or Hotmail email address you have this storage space available. 2. Google Drive - if you have gmail you have access... Drop box is nice because you have a folder that is web accessible. Anything you drop into your public folder is available via the internet... I love it for making files accessible to my students... study guides, videos etc... Good luck
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
squirrel
DIS Veteran

So I got a call and they are sending me a box to send the tower back to them in. They are going to look at it and see what is wrong. Not sure what they will do if they don't find anything-hopefully send me a new one.

Most of my things that I need to save are photos and word documents. No games or software programs.

So you are saying when I get the computer back to not install any anti virus software? Won't my computer get viruses? I get McAfee for free with my internet provider.

Last edited by squirrel; 02-20-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I got a call and they are sending me a box to send the tower back to them in. They are going to look at it and see what is wrong. Not sure what they will do if they don't find anything-hopefully send me a new one.

Most of my things that I need to save are photos and word documents. No games or software programs.

So you are saying when I get the computer back to not install any anti virus software? Won't my computer get viruses? I get McAfee for free with my internet provider.
You should tell them you want a new box, not having yours repaired. If it hasn't worked right from the start, you should demand it. If they won't, then see if you can return it.

I would disable the Widows 8 Defender. Then install your own Internet Security software. I recommend Kaspersky. I find it better than McAfee and Norton. I don't have a Windows 8 machine, so I have limited experience with it. Maybe the Defender software is good. Not sure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: